back to article Amazon prices up Kindle Paperwhite for Blighty

Amazon has priced up the Kindle Paperweight - sorry, Paperwhite; Freudian slip there - for the UK. The Paperwhite is Amazon’s first e-reader with a backlit E Ink display, the notion being that the illumination doesn’t merely make it possible to read books on the gadget in the gloom, but also that it makes for a higher contrast …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. a well wisher

Whats does it do for the battery life, though ?

massive battery life was the original advantage of e-paper

1. thegrouch

It says eight weeks with the backlight on in the article. Less than the 30 you get with the standard Kindle but then who leaves the light on for eight weeks?

1. ed2020
        Stop

I believe the 8 weeks' battery life is based on 30 minutes reading per day.

1. mrmond
          Facepalm

30 minutes a day for 8 weeks...

Oh dear that's so low. That only 28 hours. If I read solid for 8 hours a day I'd be having to charge the damn thing up every 3 and a half days !

1. ed2020
            Happy

Re: 30 minutes a day for 8 weeks...

I made no comment on whether or not it was low. But wouldn't it be less misleading if Amazon advertised the battery life as 28 hours rather than 8 weeks?

I'm surprised they didn't advertise it as unlimited* battery life.

*Based on 0 hours reading per day

2. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
    Boffin

Front-lit rather than back-lit, surely?

I've pre-ordered one, it looks very nice.

GJC

3. dkjd

Backlight???

I think you will find that the light is actually in front of the display, otherwise you would not see the light.

Here is a clue in the amazon prodcut description:

"Paperwhite guides light towards the display from above instead of projecting it out at your eyes like back-lit displays".

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Backlight???

Absolutely. The Glowlight Nook uses the same approach. But since most folk will still call this a backlight, I think we can afford not to be too pedantic about it.

1. ukgnome
        Headmaster

"I think we can afford not to be too pedantic about it."

You do read the comments forum don't you?

Pedantry is something that us I.T. chaps are quite proud of.

2. Magnus Ramage

"But since most folk will still call this a backlight, I think we can afford not to be too pedantic about it."

Well it's your party so you can be not too pedantic if you choose. But I have to say that for me, "backlit" = LCD screen - at first glance I assumed this was another tablet-style screen rather than eInk screen. Arguments still rage which is better, but they're clearly different. Of course the article itself makes it clear this is an eInk screen, but first impressions matter a little bit.

3. bluest.one

One man's pedantry is another man's accuracy.

A better informed man's accuracy.

4. Tom Jasper
    Flame

Hmm - sold at cost for £75 in the US or with a 46% margin in the UK

Looks like an excellent e-reader... Bezos `admits` sold at cost (great advertising) at $119 / £74.5 and £109 in the UK (109-74.5)/74.5

Reckon all purchasers should acquire their ebooks to a value of £34.5 and donate a bit to authors declared favourite charities...

Reckon I feel pissed that yet again the UK is exploited by the lack of equivalency to the US.

http://www.reghardware.com/2012/10/12/amazon_ceo_bezos_confirms_content_pays_for_kindle/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmm - sold at cost for £75 in the US or with a 46% margin in the UK

The $119 version is without sales tax and is ad-supported. The non-ad-supported version is $139 and is the version we get in the UK.

$139 = £86.53 + VAT = £103.84

A £6 difference isn't that bad. Amazon are one of the better companies for price equality between the US and UK.

1. Tom Jasper

Thanks folks - fair point. I'm have one of those days (think Pink)

2. djack

You are missing out on things like tax and such.

Americans have different sales taxes levied by different states so it is impossible to quote a single price for the whole of the US unless you go excluding tax.We have the luxury of having a national single rate so it can be included in the sticker price. I know that doesn't account for all of the difference, but it does take the edge off it. They would also have to deal with different financial pressures in different markets, shipping and have to price it based on an estimate of what they reckon the exchange rate is going to do over the next year or so.

I persnally do not think it's that bad a differential.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"We have the luxury of having a national single rate"

An alternative use of the word 'luxury'...

5. PeterI

Have a read of Scott Hanselmans blog review of the Paperwhite. As an existing kindle owner he's not a big fan.

6. mccp

Resolution

"The display is 6in in size and sports a higher resolution - Amazon didn’t say what"

Assuming the screen dimensions remain within a gnat's of the current Kindle, highly advanced arithmetic on my 1977 Casio fx-39 leads me to believe that the screen resolution will be 1024 x 768 pixels.

1. Hieronymus Howerd

Re: Resolution

Aren't these actually out in the States already? If so, perhaps a passing Septic could clue us in?

7. h3

I don't see why there is such a fad for touchscreens. (I have a kindle keyboard 3G but I would probably get one of these if it didn't have a touchscreen).

The main reason why this is good is negated by scumming up the screen with fingerprints.

If you use a screen protector you remove one of the great properties of eink.

(If the screen stays immaculate for a year for most people perhaps I will reconsider).

It sucks you don't even get a wall charger anymore with kindles as well. (I am glad I have two already one free with a replacement kindle).

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      Boffin

Wall warts

I'm drowning in USB mains and car chargers here, and in the very unlikely event that the all go missing overnight, a new one can be purchased for a few pounds, and while I'm waiting for it to arrive I can charge from my PC. I really don't see the point in shipping out a new one with every device.

GJC

2. jay_bea

Fingerprints

I was concerned about fingerprints on my Touch, but in practice I have not noticed them on the matt screen and they certainly don't affect reading. This is from someone who hates fingerprints and other marks on screens.

I am hoping that the capacitive touch display will stop the accidental page turns and presses I get with the IR sensors on the Touch if something other than a finger comes into contact with it. Although the buttons on the non-touch models avoid this particular problem, I find the touch interface ideal for publications which require more interaction with the content (such as The Guardian), and find the non-touch Kindles frustrating now.

3. FeersumEndjinn

Agree completely. Would pre-order one of these if there was a non-touch version available.

8. taxman
    Holmes

Time for a bit of Nooky?

Nook Glowlight £109, Kindle Paperwhite £109. Nook can take an SD card, Paperwhite fixed memory.

Such a difficult choice.

1. johnnytruant

Re: Time for a bit of Nooky?

I'm not a Kindle fan (Sony PRS-T1 here) but it's got 1.3GB of storage onboard.

At 500KB per book (size of the Iain M Banks latest on my desktop), that's 2600+ books. If you read two books a week and never ever delete anything, you'll need memory expansion in 25 years. You need a PC to load up the SD card anyway, so why not just plug the Kindle in and miss out a step.

I'd probably still buy the Nook, but not because of the storage options.

1. taxman

Re: Time for a bit of Nooky?

But the Nook has 1GB for storage and wifi - so no need for a PC to load up the SD?

So yeah, I know what you mean about still buying a Nook.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Kobo Glo

The Paperwhite costs £10 more than the Kobo Glo which has the same screen resolution but doesn't come with adverts.

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: Kobo Glo

There are no adverts on the Kindle in the UK, as far as I can tell.

GJC

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Kobo Glo

and the kobo glo can also use the local uk library services e-book collections.

My local library has around 3000 - and I've actually used it successfully despite the drm...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No ePub

I already have an older Kindle, but I shan't be buying a new one as they still don't support ePub format. My local library now has ebooks, but you need a reader that supports ePub to use them, I can't be bothered with having to use a relatively cumbersome process including conversion tools like calibre to enable what should be a quick, simple process.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like