back to article Apple to spice up Blighty iPads with 4G

Apple will refresh its current iPad with support for Everything Everywhere's 4G network, while the upcoming 'iPad Mini' will be limited to Wi-Fi connectivity, moles maintain. Industry whisperers have told the Guardian that an iPad Mini announcement is imminent. However, a 3G-compatible version is unlikely. This should allow …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ed2020
    Thumb Down

Oh please fuck off with the Apple rumours

We've only just finished with the iPhone 5 rumours, and that was getting tiresome even for me, and I was going to buy one.

Can't you just stick to reporting news.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh please fuck off with the Apple rumours

If the article doesn't interest you, don't a) click on the link b) read the article c) click on the comments link, or d) comment.

1. ed2020
        Thumb Down

So expecting actual news from a news site is unreasonable? And negative comments on stories are disallowed?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>So expecting actual news from a news site is unreasonable?

No, its not unreasonable. But you haven't shown that featuring a Apple story displaces another story. If you could demonstrate a mechanism that could cause that to be true (The Register running out of pixels, maybe?) then you would have a stronger point.

>And negative comments on stories are disallowed?

It wasn't that he made a negative comment about the story - that's fair enough - but that he clicked through through several pages just to say he had no interest in it. If his time was that critical it would be easier for him to just ignore the story, and more productive to leave positive feedback on stories that do interest him. He just didn't seem to acting in his own interest, as he stated it.

Like doing maths at school, you'll get more plus points for showing your working, even if the conclusion you reach is one that someone disagrees with. At least you will have shown you have a method, and provided a entry point for civil, constructive discussion, as opposed to name calling. To my mind, the name calling is far more boring and tedious than any amount of Apple stories.

1. ed2020
            Thumb Down

@AC, 10 October 15:16

Name calling? What are you talking about? Who have I called names, and what have I called them?

Re. displacement of another story: presumably Reg hacks have a limited amount of time and, in my opinion, the time spent writing yet another Apple click-bait rumour could have been better spent writing actual news.

Nor did I "click through several pages". It was a one-page article, after which I clicked through to leave a comment... hardly arduous.

2. ed2020
        Thumb Down

Oh, and if the headline had made it clear it was news of a rumour then I wouldn't have bothered reading it. All these unattributable rumours are nothing more than unpaid Apple advertorials or click-bait.

3. ed2020
        Thumb Down

@AC, 10 October, 12:31

The headline lead me to believe that the story would interest me. It was only after I'd opened it that I discovered it was yet another Apple rumour.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

We were promised an announcement about the big unveiling today.

These rumours are starting to unravel faster than a poorly knitted jumper.

2. Fuzz

and it will be called?

new new ipad

newer ipad

newest ipad

next ipad

1. Mike Brown

Re: and it will be called?

ipad s3?

new ipad plus?

iipad?

The "oh my god i just sold a kidney for the new ipad, and i dont have any left for the next one" pad

2. Dave 126 Silver badge
      Happy

NeXT iPad

3. jonathanb Silver badge

The EE 4G ipad will just be the existing iPad 3 with slightly different radio stuff inside to cope with the different wavelengths. Apple have in the past, and possible still do, sell different models for AT&T and Verizon, so this will be much the same.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why not just buy the gadget of the year nexus 7 for 159 quid, Done!

iWhateveritsonlydesignedforthefuckwitsanyway

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"iWhateveritsonlydesignedforthefuckwitsanyway"

Were that true, you'd doubtless have a supply already.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

any price obove £156. and it will fail.

LOL, shareholders must be shatting themselves. Apple will surely be planning to sell this for £300+ As it's Apple, and Apple owners are morons.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: any price obove £156. and it will fail.

if your definition of 'moron' is 'someone who has different priorities to me', then what you say is correct.

Personally, I'm a Wintel user, and have no problem downloading and configuring the software (something to do with 'symbols') required to read my Dell's crash mini-dump file, just to discover that my machine's BSODs were down to the SD card reader driver it came supplied with. Some of my fellow PC users would find this, and many other maintenance tasks a bit tricky, so call on me or someone like me. They might have called Dell tech support, but the would only have been told to upgrade their BIOS firmware before finding their details had been sold to a telephone scam artist.

However, I have enough interest in my fellow humans to see that they not all like me. Vive la différence.

2. the-it-slayer
      Trollface

So are fandroids, but we don't brag about it. We just get on with life rather than worrying what the fruit is doing next. If someone wants one, let them buy it. If they don't want it (like myself as all 7" tablets are useless - even one baring the fruit logo), then happy days.

3. Test Man
      FAIL

"LOL, shareholders must be shatting themselves."

It's "shitting".

5. Mike Brown

new ipad 1.5?

What? The ipad 3 was released 6m ago, and they are releasing a new ipad 3 with a new port? Surley thats taking the piss, they must have known about the lightning port months before the new ipad was released.

6. Dave 126 Silver badge

Strange choice

Didn't the Reg report on a study a while back that indicated that most iPads (and, given market share at the time, by implication most 10" tablets) aren't usually taken out from the house? It seems the whole reason for a smaller version is to make it more portable, so at first glance the decision to omit 3G/4G seems odd. Maybe the assumption is that most people who would buy a tablet now have a phone that can tether (though mine can be hit and miss, on both a laptop and Galaxy Tab 10.1)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Strange choice - hit and miss tethering

You should try with an iPhone and iPad - it just works ;-)

1. Michael Jennings

Re: Strange choice - hit and miss tethering

The trouble with using your phone to provide the internet access for your tablet is that they both have to have charge on their batteries to do this (and you are running down the batteries of both when you do this). One of the reasons why you might carry two devices is so that one can act as a backup when the battery runs out on the other.

2. the-it-slayer

Re: Strange choice

That's an odd claim to make, even though the iPad is the most often seen device commuters are using (excluding eBooks) when I travel around London. I take mine to and from home to the office or wherever I'm going. From time to time I'll use it on the train if it isn't too crammed/busy and I have enough time to use it.

I think the choice to go down the 7" tablet route is dangerous. Considering the risk of harming their own sales margins by offering a cheaper choice. Unless Apple have done something to make the iOS UI much more usable on a much smaller screen, then it simply may not work.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"That's an odd claim to make, even though the iPad is the most often seen device commuters are using (excluding eBooks) when I travel around London. I take mine to and from home to the office or wherever I'm going. From time to time I'll use it on the train if it isn't too crammed/busy and I have enough time to use it."

Weird, that must be some strange parallel London then. It's mobile phones, then Kindles, then tablets on descending order of frequency in London, England, mostly.. even on the overground into W12 where the big BBC buildings are.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

I wasn't so much making a claim, as I was half-remembering some Reg article... I did pose it as a question. : D

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Oh, fair enough then, carry on, as you were (etc.).

7. Lockwood
    Unhappy

"Analysts say any base price for the iPad Mini above $250 (£156) would damage its sales potential."

No, it won't. Because it's the latest iProduct, therefore people must must must have it, and irrespective of anything will love love love it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like