back to article Microsoft spruces up crap apps in early Win8 update

When Reg contributor Tim Anderson reviewed Windows 8 in August, he described the built-in Metro Modern UI Windows Store apps that ship with the OS as being "a bit rubbish." Microsoft must have agreed, because it's already planning to deliver updates for at least 13 of those apps, most of which should ship before Windows 8 even …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mage Silver badge

Bing?

But how much will go in the till drawer when it opens?

1. LarsG
      Meh

Probably

Probably, it will be as successful as Apple Maps?

There's a lot of last minute shifting about!

2. Christian Berger

Wait "not a replacement for Outlook"?

Does that mean that mail ap is worse than Outlook when it comes to e-mail? So far I'm always surprised how people can put up with software which doesn't even allow you to properly reply to e-mail.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wait "not a replacement for Outlook"?

Windows Live Mail doesn't integrate with standard Windows applications - if you have applications that want to send using email, you need Outlook (or something like Thunderbird). Removing Outlook Express significantly reduced the basic install functionality. I wonder if this has been restored (doubt it somehow).

1. Spoonsinger

Re: Wait "not a replacement for Outlook"?

Umm, when you say standard applications I assume you mean MS produced. Actually no real problem installing a localized IMAP server, (i.e. hMailServer), to serve up mail stuff to appropriately compliant applications - probably not MS in that scenario - but they do the O/S and leave the rest to everyone else - oh Wait!?

PS

As an outlook POP3 receiver, I really quite like Live Mail Desktop 2009. Bog all integration, but has menus and splits up the different accounts into "different accounts" on the desktop in the desktop application. Later releases are horrible. It's subjective like, but then again I have to daily explain to bog standard users why Windows 7 file explorer doesn't do what XP file explorer did. Go figure that the office based bods can't get with the "program".

3. WylieCoyoteUK
    Mushroom

Been here, refused to buy the tshirt

Remember Active desktop? and the 2 people you know who used it for more than a week?

And Aero... which is apparently "really Cheesy" now?

"a bit rubbish " is a stunning understatement.....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Been here, refused to buy the tshirt

This. At least with those things they did not bet the whole business on them. Did they?

2. Keep Refrigerated
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: Been here, refused to buy the tshirt

Screw Active Desktop, who can remember 'channels'? You know, when certain business types still thought the internet was going to be like TV!

1. Ramazan
        Coffee/keyboard

Re: business types thought the internet was going to be like TV

They came and asked, What's on the Internet today?

4. SpitefulGOD

Active desktop

They should bring that back in this html5 era, it would be awesome for sales people

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Active desktop

Ah, but then MS would not get 30% cut of every sale/app would they now? ;)

5. Tony Paulazzo
    Holmes

Does this mean that in the new hotmail app you can delete more than one email at a time? Fucking incredibly useful app that one, worth every penny, as was the ten second delay between touching / clicking an app and it displaying ... well, anything, especially funny on the pictures app.

Oh, and give me a Start Button! I want it, the customer is always right.

1. contextfree
      Headmaster

Right-click to select & multiselect

FYI, you could always (since the first public release with the Windows 8 Consumer Preview) delete multiple emails at a time with the Mail app - just select them (by right-clicking) and then Delete. What may have thrown you off is that the mouse sign for selection (both single and multiple selection, standard across all Windows 8 apps and the Start screen) is now right-click instead of Ctrl-click. This is different from desktop and requires a bit of relearning, but it has the advantages of

1) Requiring only a single mouse button press instead of keyboard + mouse

2) Combining several things which were disparate concepts in desktop - context menus, menu bars/ribbons, single selection, multiple selection, and "hide/show the tools mode" - implemented differently in every app - into a single consistent action - right click - that means "show the contextually relevant commands" wherever it's used

In the RTM you can also Shift-click for contiguous multiple selection in a number of apps - at least Mail, SkyDrive and Music - though unfortunately not on the Start screen.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Down

Re: Right-click to select & multiselect

So contextual menu are gone? O my god - they are so useful to avoid to move the mouse all across the screen to reach the toolbar/ribbon between selection and command! Maybe it's not a problem on a 10" screen, it is on a 30" one. I wonder who Sinofsky hired to design the new GUI - probably someone who has never used a GUI but for using Facebook I guess. The "dumbsizing" approach is going very well at Microsoft.

2. Ramazan
        FAIL

Re: delete multiple emails at a time with

does it allow to delete the whole thread (concept of "thread" probably seems alien to you)? E.g. mutt does this with CTRL-D...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hopefully we will soon see an update for The Register's buggy as hell news application too.

I know you're not trying to sell a product based on it but still, glass houses etc....

7. Paul Shirley

Is it just a cunning plan...

...to ensure users get exposed to the app store (and hopefully get addicted).

Got to get the herd used to using Microsofts new cash cow somehow ;)

1. jason 7
      WTF?

Re: Is it just a cunning plan...

Unlike the Apple herd that suckles so readily from a similar teat?

1. Gr0nk

Big grey thing with a trunk.

1. Gr0nk

I don't mean 'in the room'.

8. jason 7
    Facepalm

All these apps for news, sport, weather, video etc..........

Why not just use a web browser?

You know everything in one place. All these different apps for different things just seem a bit arse about face.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: All these apps for news, sport, weather, video etc..........

Which one? The desktop one or the IFKAM one?

1. Paul Shirley

Will anyone be surprised if only the Metro versions see regular updates. Gotta nudge users onto it somehow ;)

2. George 24

I just hope that Apple has not patented the "one app for each thing" M$ could find themselves in court.

3. Big-nosed Pengie

"Why not just use a web browser?

You know everything in one place. All these different apps for different things just seem a bit arse about face."

Because with a web browser you can do naughty things like blocking ads, preventing scripts and cross-site scripting, etc.

1. Ramazan

Re: Because with a web browser you can ... block ads etc

Wrong! Because with web browser you'll need to buy new computer every 5 years (or more often), while you could read email via IMAP on 80386 PC just fine.

4. Ramazan
      Devil

Re: Why not just use a web browser?

Twinkle, twinkle, Web2.0, how I wonder how you'll crash and burn (Sam & Max Save the World)!

9. Boyd Crow

I'll wait.

These apps will probably be even more improved by "Windows 9". I'll wait.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

dead platform much?

13 app updates...

11. Epobirs

Unfair comparison

The Mail app isn't intended to compete with Outlook. The better comparison would be for someone currently using a freebie app like Live Mail or Thunderbird. Both of those are much better than Mail in its current state but the nature of Windows 8 allows for rapid evolution of the apps without much effort on the users' part.

I've been running the RTM for a while now and it seems hardly a week goes by that doesn't have updates for nearly everything I've installed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Security issue aside, OE was far better as an email client

Security issues aside, from an usability point of view Outlook Express was far better than any "* Mail" from Microsoft, while Thunderbird should stop thinking *unix users have a better understanding on how a mail client should be designed - and stop thinking most people like a SMTP settings separated from the IMAP/POP ones, most user want to send mail through the same server they read it from, especially if that is a company one and security policies dictates so.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Security issue aside, OE was far better as an email client

Sorry, you want Thunderbird to make all my configuration choices for me?

I can configure Thunderbird the way I want. Or is that the meaning of the dig at Unix users? "People who like things set up their way, not how some UI designer thinks they should have them"?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: running the RTM ... hardly a week goes by ... updates for nearly everything

So they've released an unfinished/broken product rather than miss the Christmas rush. Why am I not surprised?

12. Stephen Channell
    Unhappy

I should be a fan, but this is shite!

I have a Windows7 phone, I've installed Windows Server 2012 and configured the shiny new box.. I'm even coming round to the dumb ribbon.

I like my phone & the apps on it, and I like the snappy W8 UI for remote access.. and I thought Vista was fine if you had enough memory.. but Windows8 is utter utter shite.

I accept simple apps on my phone because I know its limits, but a shite apps takes me back to Windows2.. But that's not why W8 is shite..

The start screen was so familiar to my phone, that I found myself looking for the start icon because there's one on my phone (despite weeks of WinServ2012).. along the way I discovered something about the way my brain works.. I'm either in visual mode or code-mode & need somewhere click.

Windows8 is not the new Vista.. it is the worst desktop OS Microsoft have EVER produced.

1. Ramazan
      WTF?

Re: Windows8 is not the new Vista.. it is the worst desktop OS

The truth is that without something like Windows8 their OS business will be dead (and Vista is THE WORST desktop OS Microsoft have EVER produced, except for OS/2, of course).

13. HipposRule
    Happy

At least

The South West of England now has weather with the weather app.

14. Graham Wilson
    Windows

Beginning of the end.

Windows--all versions--is now a yawn. Most of my machines still run XP, others run Linux.

For Windows devotees, sure newer versions have better reliability and security but frankly I couldn't give a damn, as XP does what I've become to expect of Windows along with all its faults and limitations. For me, newer versions add absolutely nothing of practical value except inconvenience and I don't need to pay for that. (And stats say 40% of the world's still with me.)

'Real' new features such as a new filing system, integrated database filing--once promised as WinFS with Vista; user-designable and user-reconfigurable UI (someone strange may even want Metro); ability to totally nuke dross such as Media Player, Internet Explorer and all other useless garbage that contributes to O/S bloat--with a bloated price; user-installable file systems (additional to NTFS), attributed (coloured. bolded, italicized etc.) filenames, directories and indexes; ordered/prioritized (user-definable) file displays; ability to modularize and use only parts of the O/S as the user needs; superuser status for Administrator together with full user control over the security system--not with Microsoft as it is now--only to mention a few of the sorely needed--are still light-years away from Microsoft's moribund thinking. Even the proposed support for longer filenames in the new Win 8 server's ReFS filing system was dropped at the last minute (for me, it was the only tiny ray of hope Win-8 ever had).

I expect XP to be my O/S of choice for some years yet, even if it makes selecting hardware more difficult (which I know it will). Perhaps XP will turn out to be my last Microsoft O/S--although years back, it may well turn out to be my last purchase from Microsoft!

Having spent some months and considerable time evaluating Win 8 and Metro, I and others involved wouldn't use this operating system even if it was free.

As far as I'm concerned, Microsoft lost the plot long ago. Win 8 won't be the end of Microsoft by a long way but clearly it's stamped the beginning of the end of Microsoft's dominance of the O/S market.

Frankly, a few ago I'd have never ever expected to see that in my lifetime.

15. jason 7

The only problem I have with Windows 8 is......

...the terrible font support.

In some apps it looks wrong in desktop mode. I think they have screwed around with Cleartype to make it work better with some monitors pixel setups but not others. In some instances it looks like they just switched it off. I have tried 'tuning' it.

In Metro/Modern land they decided to make the whole area run by DirectX so if you have AA/AF and MSAA etc. enabled for games on the GPU then it transfers that to the fonts in Metro Apps making them look awful. Basically your screen looks like a poor colour photocopy.

Switch on all the bells and whistles your GPU can do then pop into Metro land and see what it looks like.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like