back to article US unemployment dips below 8 per cent, but IT sector takes a hit

The economy in the United States added as many jobs as economists had been expecting and President Obama had been no doubt praying for, and the unemployment rate dropped to 7.8 per cent, the first time it has been below 8 per cent since the current Great Recession began in December 2007. The Bureau of Labor Statistics not only …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who needs IT anyway?

Who needs IT anyway?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Only because

Lots of qualified people have had to take up part time low paid jobs, or several jobs just to make ends meet.

1. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Re: Only because

"Lots of qualified people have had to take up part time low paid jobs, or several jobs just to make ends meet."

That's why I can't get a job., You've got four jobs, stealing one of them from me.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If the labor market did not contract...

If the labor market did not change over the past 4 years - unemployment would be approximately 11.1%

Of course, population is increasing in the United States, which means the unemployment is well over 11.1%

A picture of the jobs deficit, from a liberal news source:

http://images2.dailykos.com/i/user/6/Picture1-4.png

Some people take issue with how bad things are - but there is no denying that the new jobs created (which were part-time and full-time) during this month does not keep up with population growth... which means the unemployment number should have gone up.

IT is just one example of a sector which has reduced employment.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are you gullible?

The U.S. only counts people as being unemployed if they qualify for state unemployment benefits. If they have exhausted their benefits, they are no longer counted. Unemployment in the U.S. has NOT dropped and in fact the true unemployment number is above 20% when you count ALL of the unployed people, not just those who currently qualify. The number of people who have been on unemployment for years continues to grow as does the number of people who are no longer counted because they no longer qualify after years of unemployment.

These unemployment figures are intended to get Obama re-elected. Only those who fail to educate themselves on the real unemployment numbers would believe this fraudulent claim of a drop in unemployment. If you check with the U.S. Feds they will confirm that they only count those who are currently getting benefits, not ALL of those unemployed. The sheeple in America are ignorant.

Unfortunately most people in the U.S. have no clue what is actually happening. They believe the mis-information disseminated by the media who rarely ever check the facts. Only those who are currently unemployed and that have lost their home, retirement savings and are living in desperation know the real unemplyment situation in the U.S. The politicians however contnue to talk thru their arse because they are on the public dole. Life is just fine on Corruption Hill and in the Black House.

1. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Re: Are you gullible?

That's why, eben though my dole has run out, I insist on continuing to trek into the job centre every two weeks, to ensure the statistics are realistics and avoid me "not receiving benefits" being equated to "not unemployed".

4. MGJ

I'd rather be gullible

than a racist troll.

5. Boris S.

No it didn't

If you check the current statistics you'll find U.S. unemployment is actually above 18% when you count all the unemployed.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: No it didn't

And of course that is also quite liberally underestimated. How many hours a week is the minimum to be considered "employed"? Yes, I thought so.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Even Jack Welch don't believe the manipulated numbers

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/10/ge-ceos-split-jobs-data-skeptic-jack-welch-at-odds-with-current-ceo-over-obama/

The age old politics of cooking the numbers for political gain.

1. Don Jefe
      Meh

Re: Even Jack Welch don't believe the manipulated numbers

Jack Welch couldn't be trusted if he said the sky was blue. He's an ass.

2. dharmaseal
      WTF?

JW needs to shuffle off this mortal coil.

3. dharmaseal
      WTF?

Jack needs to shuffle off this mortal coile. Good riddance to the demon.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

U.S. government statistics are always a farce

The data acquisition methodology used by the U.S. is totally bogus. They don't actually know or care how many people are unemployed. Next month after the election they will say that last months "preliminary" statistics were a little low and they'll update them to show only a .1 % reduction from the previous month. The U.S. does this all the time. The media are just sheep who report whatever they are told. They never bother to get the true story.

1. Don Jefe
      Meh

Re: U.S. government statistics are always a farce

Yes. I'm sure you'd do great getting the 'true' story. If you are one of the unemployed maybe a career in media is for you. That way you can let us all know the 'truth'.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lies, statistics and damn lies

You get it all from the politicians and government in the U.S.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like