back to article Momentum builds for iPad Mini launch

Apple’s Taiwanese and Chinese component manufacturers have begun punching out iPad Minis, according to folk the Wall Street Journal insists are in a position to know. The moles - we think Apple PR, covertly building coverage momentum in mainstream and business media ahead of the small tablet’s formal unveiling - confirm that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Miek
    Linux

Jaw-breaking Yawn. That is all.

1. ItsNotMe

+1

Whooopty Dooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And yet

If it is real it will just work, be well made and command a premium price.

It will also put the wind up the opposition.

To be a 'must have' it will also need a retina display.

2. Tom 7

iPad mini

is that the iPhone6 trying not to be a phone?

1. Captain Hogwash
      Trollface

Re: iPad mini

iPhone Note?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: iPad mini

no, because the note is clearly a copy of the ipad mini ;)

3. Joerg
    Thumb Down

The fact is that manufacturing partners aren't producing for iPad Mini...

...which means that there is no iPad Mini being mass produced...

The next iPad project is scheduled for early 2013 mass production..that is the iPad 4. But no mini-size.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

4:3

Like many here, I'm a fan of squarer screen ratios (though this isn't as critical in tablet devices, which can be rotated to 'Portrait' to read text, as it is in netbooks). However, the chief reason to make a mini iPad would be to make it more portable. The limiting dimension for fitting in a coat pocket tends to be the width of the device, not its height. Adding more pixels by changing the screen ratio (a la the iPhone5) would still allow a device to fit in pockets.

5. Big_Ted

Its an iPod Maxi not an iPad mini.....

St Steve would never have allowed an iPad Mini......

Other than that.....................MEH

1. FartingHippo
      Coat

Re: Its an iPod Maxi not an iPad mini.....

Tee hee. You used "Maxi" and "Pad" in close proximity, and ironically Apple like to bleed their customers dry.

(yes, I know, I need to grow up)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. ItsNotMe

Re: Re: Its an iPod Maxi not an iPad mini.....

Is THAT why the ladies are so enamored with the iPad? Always wondered.

(no...I am NOT going to grow up :p )

6. Tim Walker

If this turns out to be true...

...I might be interested in an "iPad mini", especially if it turns out to be a "downsized iPad" instead of an "upsized iPod Touch".

Especially if they price it right - a 16GB model, if they can offer it for under £200 (yes, dream on, I know), would really turn my head. I use an iPod Touch for music production - it's surprisingly workable, though the small screen can cramp one's style, but the iPads so far have been too expensive and rather unwieldy in size to cart around.

Mind you, if a prospective iPad mini was sporting the new Lightning connector, that could present minor issues for music-making accessories. I'd need an adapter (cable or otherwise), and hopefully Apple is coming up with a Lightning-format USB Camera Connection Kit (which iPad-toting musos use to hook up audio/MIDI devices).

No idea whether this is all pie-in-the-sky, but suffice it to say I'll be watching developments like a hawk...

1. Eddy Ito

Re: If this turns out to be true...

"if it turns out to be a "downsized iPad" instead of an "upsized iPod Touch"."

Having neither I don't know, are they really that different? I always thought the Touch was basically just the wifi only version of the iPhone and the iPad was just a large scale version of both which would make an iPad Mini the 'tween of the family. Or were you speaking to the size along the lines of ~6" would be a larger iPod and ~7-3/4" would be a smaller iPad?

1. J 3
        Alert

Re: If this turns out to be true...

"Having neither I don't know, are they really that different?"

No.

7. Dan Atkinson 1

Ermmm

I don't get how they're going to play in this price point when the iPod touch starts at £250 and an iPad 2 is £329.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ermmm

simple, they wont.

I reckon it'll be around £300.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

£300?

Way too high, unless it is truly spectacular - what with the Nexus 7 and the Nook as the competition coming in sub £200 with decent specs, high res screens, or even sub-£160 for 8GB...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: £300?

of course £300 appears too high. But its apple, the iLemmings will be queuing up to buy them even if they were £3000.

2. Jan 0 Silver badge

As the owner of a Nexus 7 I'd say that it's worth paying another £100 just to make it simple to transfer from iPhoto to tablet*. I'm buying one if it has a 4:3 screen.

*yes I'd pay that just for making one function easier.

3. NeilMc

Looks like we are doing Apples Product Pricing strategy for them, competition around the £200 price point give or take 15%, iPod Touch at £170 for entry level and the current iPad 3 at £399 entry level. Ergo price the mini at £200 > 250 for entry level.

I would hope they price the Mini at a point that takes the fight to the competition rather than ignore the competition and bank on the iLemming factor......... mmmmm starting to sound like an iLemming myself perhaps.

Personally I agree with AC in that the 7inch form is too small, too compromised and therefore appeals to a niche that wants an eReader perhaps. They will not pay a premium when there are such good devices already established out there such as the Kindle, Sony etc and new devices coming from Barnes and Noble etc

I guess we will find out in the next week or so and look forward to yet more launch day queue's and availability issues ensuring shipping misses the important holiday season.

Happy days are here again..............

2. uhuznaa

Re: Ermmm

The 4th gen touch starts at £169.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't get this size

I just don't get this size, unless you only use it for perhaps a game and movie I find it compromised to the 10" tablets to read comfortably on it. Even a website has to be zoomed many a time, and you can't read say a page of A4 comfortably on it without constant zooming in/out to move around.

I bought a 7" model but for me the useage model just didn't work, I find it compromised to read a full magazine, or reference manuals or contracts, or even web browsing...To such a point that one may as well use a phone as there is constant zooming required as well. GAmes and movies are ok though, but productivity? Nah...

Yet when you have a 10@ model a whole new world of productivity opens up, making it actually a useful device (regardless of manufacturer)...

1. Mike Brown

Re: I don't get this size

yes you do, you mentioned it in your comment. its for games and movies.

2. ContentsMayVary

Re: I don't get this size

"Yet when you have a 10@ model a whole new world of productivity opens up, making it actually a useful device (regardless of manufacturer)..."

And when you add a keyboard and mouse, an even bigger world of productivity opens up! Oh, wait...

9. VinceH

Optional

So, if the rumours are true, then 12th October 2012 (or whatever date turns out to be the right one) will go down in history as the date Apple invented 7 to 8" tablet devices.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like