back to article Samsung adds iPhone 5 to patent battle v Apple

As expected, Samsung has added the iPhone 5 to its patent infringement case against Apple, coincidentally just after a California judge lifted the ban on importing the Korean electronics giant's Galaxy Tab 10.1 fondleslabs. "The iPhone 5 has the same accused functionality as the previously accused versions of the iPhone," …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Toooooo late, already got mine!

1. Shagbag

You bought an iPhone 5?

Wait. Did you stand in the queue with the rest of them?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe

Running scared methinks, but they need to find another country to file the patent claim or they will lose.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Samdung and CrApple are both falling behind. Nokia is where it is at, wireless charging, optical stabilisation and a phone that is built well (Samdung ain't) and looks well designed without copying Apple.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Optical stabilisation you say? It's amazing what you can do with a camera crew in a van that follows you around - I'm amazed Nokia can afford to send a free camera crew with every handset...

http://img.gawkerassets.com/post/4/2012/09/nokiafake.jpg

1. Eguro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk8G76nVSmM

This seems like a more legit comparison - although it is obviously - and not hiddenly so - done by Nokia-fans.

The difference isn't huge, but it's quite clear, especially when he's running.

I didn't spot a van in the windows of the building the were running near, but I think a nice touch would've been to flim into a mirror.

1. Eguro
          WTF?

Thumbs down for pointing to a video that seemingly compares cameras.

I'll admit it was technically off-topic for the article, but hardly for the response itself.

Also thumbs up to the orgasmo-phone

2. Mark .
        FAIL

Anti-Nokia FUD from the media yet again.

The advert was showing the benefits of optical stabilisation. Even if their marketing team messed up, that doesn't change the technology - there have already been plenty of third party demos that show the benefits.

(I have a Samsung Galaxy, which I love - but I don't deny that Nokia's camera phone technology is number one, and is far more innovation than "let's make a 4" device, and screw up maps" that you get from a certain other company.)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

White or blue plastic with rounded corners Sir?

Or

Anodised aluminium with rounded corners Sir?

Or

Bright red or yellow plastic with corners Sir?

What a crap choice we have, I want triangles, hexagons, polygons, tubes and cubes, squares, wands, octagons, I want innovation, specification and real design. I want a phone like an orgasm!

1. HMB

"I want a phone like an orgasm!"

I believe there are some amazing models that last 5 minutes before you need to charge them up again.

2. stu_ekins
        Paris Hilton

orgasmiPhone... for ladies who Rabbit.

I like the orgasmiPhone. I also like the orgasmAndroid. But which is better? There's only one way to find out...

1. Robert Forsyth

Re: orgasmiPhone... for ladies who Rabbit.

Fight!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Hill's_TV_Burp#Fights

3. Shagbag

Nokia is where it's at?

Where's that? Wait. Let me just fire up my iOS6 iMaps....

...it's pointing me to the shitter. Should I be concerned?

4. JaitcH
    Happy

I guess Samsung isn't interested in ...

laying claim to the Crappy Map App.

That's Tom Cook's very own baby. And micron-thick anodising on soft aluminium (aluminum, for Americans), because they were too cheap to specify hard aluminium (aluminum), mauve tinted pictures and chipping glass.

Then there's the claim over Passbook, another piece of Apple copyware.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I guess Samsung isn't interested in ...

lmao 'Apple copyware'

I hope your not a fandroid because it's built on stolen features

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Pint

Re: I guess Samsung isn't interested in ...

Your laughed-off arse, sir!

5. frank ly

"The iPhone 5 has the same accused functionality ..."

Seems to be accursed functionality.

6. Scott 62

Ugh, I'd hate to be an IP lawyer, that line of work would make you into such a miserable bastard

"no, you can't patent the sun"

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge

yeah

but you'd be a RICH miserable bastard. Retirement can't come too early to those types.

1. hold2ransom
        Mushroom

Re: yeah

Uncle Joe Stalin would have dealt with those IP lawyers in short order. The gulag would be too easy for them and they might return to plague us so a bullet from a TT33 in the back of the head will see to them.

2. HMB

"no, you can't patent the sun"

*followed by*

"yes I know the USPTO said you could, but...."

7. Mage Silver badge

To wit

Novel feature:

A compressed ball of hydrogen of sufficient quantity that it spontaneously fuses to Helium without need for external compressing lasers or plasma containment fields.

1. frank ly
      Happy

Re: To wit

I would draw your attention to many examples of observed and recorded prior art during the previous 13 billion years.

1. HMB

13 billion years of prior art doesn't necessarily mean anything. Do they sell these Sun's in the US?

Thought not. Get lawyered up :P

1. hplasm
          Happy

Re: Do they sell these Sun's in the US?

Ask Oracle.

2. croc

First to file, matey... I'm off to the USPTO!

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

I think you will notice that gravity forms a very nice plasma containment field indeed.

3. Darryl
      Mushroom

"A compressed ball of hydrogen of sufficient quantity that it spontaneously fuses to Helium without need for external compressing lasers or plasma containment fields."

...ON A MOBILE DEVICE

Score!

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

If you did devise a way to contain a sustainable fusion reaction in a mobile device, I believe you should be able to patent it.

You would have also have solved the issue of smart phones running out of power, as long as you have an fizzy drink can and a banana skin to hand (if Back to the Future has taught me anything)

2. Jedit Silver badge
        Mushroom

"...ON A MOBILE DEVICE"

Congratulations, you have just patented firing the iPhone 5 into the Sun. This can only be a good thing, as the fanbois still won't let go of theirs.

3. DJO Silver badge
        Meh

I see no nails (nor anything to nail to) so the sun is not fixed in place, certainly it's tricky to move on demand but it's still mobile and currently moving at a colossal speed.

1. chr0m4t1c

Are you positive about that? I wasn't aware that we'd found something at absolute rest to measure it against.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

if i was the judge

i would bang my gavel to the beat of tunes in my brain until the men in white coats drag me out.

1. Grikath
      Pirate

Re: if i was the judge

Unless that tune is recogniseable, at which point you'd be Performing a Copyrighted Tune in a Public Premise Without a License, and you would be forced to fine yourself the totally proportional $50.000 fine per gavel bang, if the RIAA lawyers don't get to you first.

2. hplasm
      Devil

Re: if i was the judge

...beat of iTunes in my brain..

seems more likely

9. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

I dont think.......

Joe Haldeman had QUITE this in mind when he wrote "The Forever War" - the title does seem apt though.

10. Paul B

I am not much of fan of Apple or Samsung, I own products of both companies, it appears to me that Samsung are just getting in a bit of retaliation. Have you looked at the links posted in the article? Patents for using styli with a touch screen, and volume controls on a media device, how do these patents get awarded? Are the patent clerks monkeys? Do they actually read these patents? Or are they are all approved by a computer?

No worse than any of apples patents, just saying that the patents system in the USA is broken, and is not fit for purpose. It is a joke.

1. KroSha
      Facepalm

It's quite simple really. The USPTO takes their fee, looks at the forms, makes sure it's all filled in correctly and rubber stamps it. They aren't technical and certainly aren't qualified to make judgements on validity and prior art. That's what the courts are for.

Meanwhile, the courts are of the opinion that the USPTO wouldn't grant the application without good cause, so they consider everything to be above board unless someone can convince them otherwise. Enter the scum-munching bottom-feeding patent lawyers who's opinion is for sale to the highest bidder.

Of course, this system works very well. After all, lots of patents are filed, so they must be useful, right?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"styli"?

I was wondering how an Apple device breaches a patent about a stylus?

3. Keep Refrigerated
      FAIL

It's probably more a case of the MAD button has been activated.

You think the patent madness is over now the first trial is done (subject to appeal)? Apples recent "victory" has simply spilled blood in the water, which will bring every troll for miles around, as well as incentivise Apple into litigation frenzy.

Samsung has no choice now but to fire lawyer salvo's at every new iFap that Apple launches as part of a giant war of attrition in order to wear down their cash flow through legal fees; and Samsung has the cash stockpiles to do it, too.

Strike first and strike hard to try and put the enemy down and frustrate their attack - Apple certainly signaled it's holding back. One only has to look at the amount of vexatious paperwork filed at Judge Lucy Koh - who is totally in over her head.

Perhaps the only good part of this is when America wakes up to see that they have fallen behind the rest of the world in competing technology and choice, they'll look to fix the patent system. But let's not hold our breath - this is America after all.

Another thing is Apple may have just awoken the beast. Now that Tim Cook is in charge, it's obvious he doesn't have the gonads to innovate and produce trend setting products. He's immediately fallen into the game of following the market - which is exactly what all phone makers were doing before Apple came a long and pushed over the *ahem* non-Apple cart.

The problem is that Apple has polluted the delicate ecosystem and turned the environment completely hostile - they will find it harder to compete in the phone market now than it would have been before.

FAIL icon for Apple - because when you're at the top, there's only one way to go.

1. chr0m4t1c

"Samsung has no choice now but to fire lawyer salvo's at every new iFap that Apple launches as part of a giant war of attrition in order to wear down their cash flow through legal fees; and Samsung has the cash stockpiles to do it, too."

Erm,

Samsung cash reserves: $11bn

Apple cash reserves: $100bn

Unless they have some water-tight open-and-shut cases to make then that would appear to be quite a risky strategy.

BTW, wishful thinking from Apple haters doesn't magically improve the merits of any case they bring, make patents valid or release them from FRAND obligations for standards related patents. Just sayin'.

11. Chris007
    Facepalm

2014 for the trial

bejeezus - the iPhone 6 and possibly 7 could be out by then!!

12. RainForestGuppy

Come on, there's only one way to sort this.

In the blue corner the King of the closed source model,Tim Cook

vs

In the red corner, the Seoul Destroyer, its Oh-Hyun Kwon

8 x 3min rounds, no biting, holding or gouging. All hits above the belt.

Seconds Out, Round 1 Ding DIng

13. Mark .

Wow, obviously I upset the Apple fanatics there - maybe upset that Apple are still third place behind Samsung and Nokia?

Sorry, a bad marketing mistake doesn't mean Nokia's camera technology is therefore bad. That's basic logic.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like