back to article Greenland zinc mine warms to retreating ice

Pessimists convinced that global warming will eventually bring about the destruction of humanity should take note that there's one piece of cheering news to come from the inexorable retreat of the polar ice caps: we won't be short of top-quality zinc as we all go to hell in a handcart. View from the entrance of the Black Angel …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ken Winters

More Good News To Follow....

There are going to be some real upsides to Global Warming....more to follow. I can't wait!

2. Tom

They didn't call it "Greenland" for nothing.

Maybe the PR campaign will bear fruit. Who knows. If the entrance is up on a cliff, soon it will be closer to sea level, and much easier to do its operations.

Look, we need the (at least in the USA, no RoHS here!) lead (Pb/Plumbium) for the proper soldering of our circuit boards.

3. Gary

Title

Gee, didn't the dear ole' Vikes raise cattle and sheep there before the 'Little Ice Age' froze them out?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Duh

"Greenland" is a rather large area to generalise about. The southern tip is on the same latitude as the Shetlands, Oslo, Stockholm and Helsinki, which have never had a problem sustaining a population.

5. Andy Davies

... and hydrogen

...and zinc with a dilute mineral acid will produce hydrogen, without any nasty gallium doping - or it did when I was at school. Not that it would be a viable method of fuelling a car of course!

AndyD 8-)#

6. heystoopid

Oh well there goes the Antartic neighbourhood

Oh well , think of the vast untapped pristine resources locked under ice in the Antartic Continent all up for grabs at the same time !

Looks like the Penguins just became extinct in the new gold rush down south crushed to death and evicted in the new resource boom stampede!

Mind you that partially fueled much troubled non working PM3A nuclear reactor at McMurdo could be a minor inpediment though , when it thaws out!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So why did they call it Greenland?

As I understood it from my hazy beer-ridden university days, the naming of Greenland and Iceland was an early piece of disinformation.

There was mass emigration from Denmark at the time (too many taxes). Both places were up for grabs but everyone wanted to go to Iceland - warmer, greener, and with running hot water included in the price. But the place is small, and the early settlers didn't want too many people to come over and crowd them out, so they fiddled with the names hoping people would think Greenland was a nicer place.

Or maybe that was the just the ninth pint.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like