back to article Holden considers electric Commodore

The Australian arm of General Motors, Holden, is reportedly considering an electric production run of its venerable Commodore marque. According to the Australian Financial Review, the vehicle maker is hoping to secure a deal worth around $AU70 million – with the Federal government to kick in an unspecified contribution – that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Winkypop Silver badge
    Trollface

AC Commodore

Not quite the same ring as the SS Commodore.

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Commodore a muscle car? Even the powerful versions are barge like family cars. I've had a Commodore over here and the UK equivalent (the Vauxhall Omega) back home. They're quite nice cars, but definitely not "muscle cars". Maybe the Monaro was what you were thinking of?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not a muscle car?

I suspect you may not have ticked the right options on the order form.

2. Goat Jam
      FAIL

Do you know what a muscle car is?

Clue: It is not a sports car.

A car that has a 6 Litre 350HP V8 qualifies as a muscle car. Being gigantic and barge-like is also a common characteristic.

You could argue that the original muscle cars (Mainly 1960's USA) only had two doors but that would be petty in the extreme and would exclude one Australia's most famous muscle cars ever.

3. Esskay
      Holmes

It's also worth mentioning that the Vauxhall Omega and the Commodore, whilst sharing a platform, still had many changes made to said platform (and the number of changes increased as the generations went on - the latest platform, the VE commodore, was developed by Holden, and whilst it shares some DNA with the Insignia it's a vastly different car).

Also the Australian nomenclature for cars and their performance variants are relatively.... understated. (Particularly by the standards of American Muscle cars, where the power figures are almost written across the windscreen.)

Going from Commodore S => Commodore SS gets you roughly an extra 100hp, different brakes, wheels, quad exhaust, suspension setup, different trim bits, etc.

Hell, even the (arguably) hottest, most desireable aussie muscle car of all time, the XY Falcon GTHO was a GT Falcon with a "Handling Option" - a box you had to tick that didn't appear on the order forms at the dealership - but it brought with it a huge host of changes to the car.

3. Magani
    Go

It won't be a real Commode...

... unless it can do MEL/SYD or SYD/BNE with only a single fuel and bladder stop.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Birdwood only has room for one

What will they do with the other 119?

5. Filthysock

Half a million per car?

$70,000,000 for a 126 cars? So that would be around $560,000 per vehicle. Seems odd, or is my maths wrong here?

6. heystoopid
    Trollface

@ Half a million per car

An interesting form of ersatz mathematics?

With a genius like yours, please investigate why FORD, is selling an electric car of sorts, in the lower 48 States, for $40K, called the "FORD Focus Electric", when to date, it has cost them approximately seven point seven million to make, based on total current unit sales?

7. cortland

Make mine

I'll take the 64.

This topic is closed for new posts.