back to article Facebook's latest brain wave: Flogging REAL fluffy tat

Facebook has finally realised it needs to start touting actual stuff if it is to ever please Wall Street's moneymen. The dominant social network is moving into the online retail market, arguably not a moment too soon: its shares have taken a hammering since debuting on the Nasdaq stock exchange in May. While CEO Mark …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. edge_e
    Facepalm

I can't put into words

How saddened I am. Not because faceache are doing this but because i know people will use it.

How long before bra's become part of the gift set so he can get your cup size too?

2. John Angelico
    Go

And when they get to...

...real furry creatures from Alpha Centauri, it will be time to wake up Douglas Adams.

3. Select * From Handle

I might be wrong but

Im sure i read that Facebook was going to become a Netflix/Lovefilm rival like a year or 2 ago... Offering films and music that you can purcase with FB coins... what happend?

4. The FunkeyGibbon
    Paris Hilton

What is Facebook for?

Once, long ago it's purpose was pure and obvious, now it's just a mess with people vomiting up the most pointless crap and Facebook themselves trying to take our data and sell us junk.

I think I seriously need to consider if I need social media in my life at all.

Paris because if Facebook made women...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's going to be fun re data protection

In order for Facebook to collect that data, it has to collect it with indication of purpose. I wonder if they include "sell to all and sundry". Going to be fun - buy something, see Facebook post a picture and next day you can post images of your broken doors where the burglars entered.

In any case, I'm slowly busy killing off my Facebook account, after which they will get a letter from my lawyer for confirmation of deletion (ditto with Google). Not that I expect any positive confirmation, but I suspect the answers will be at least interesting.

6. The Alpha Klutz
    Facepalm

The recipient can "enter their own shipping info and can swap for a different size, flavour or style before the gift ships", the company explained.

so now you can send someone a gift when you:

a) dont know where they live

b) dont know anything about what they like

why would you want to?

1. Jay Holmes
      Happy

Because they are your friend (on facebook anyway lol) As already said there will be people that use this to send all sorts of tat to people they know nothing about except they like to play farmville as well!!!

1. The Alpha Klutz

If that's what Zuck's counting on....

let me just check none of my pension fund is in Facebook...

2. Justice
      WTF?

Little bit stalkery. Do you think that after a pressie's been sent to the victim the stalker can then see the shipping address? I can see a minefield of DPA problems here.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"enter their own shipping info and can swap for a different size, flavour or style before the gift ships"

So Facebook is flogging a more restricted version of a gift certificate. I would much rather have the money thanks.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I suppose corporate types could give them to their employees, but really, even as a corporate gift, it would be pretty lame.

1. Triggerfish

How you could ever want to have your company see your facebook page or be linked to you I don't think I'd ever understand.

8. 404

Mkay.

So what happens if your intrepid suspicious friend refuses to give up a shipping address? Zuck keeps the proceeds or a refund if unclaimed?

Disclaimer: Non-FB user, but the better half does...

1. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
      Pint

Freight forwarding

I see opportunity: Set up a business where you give my physical address as the shipping address. I collect the FB merchandise and forward it via courier service to you for a "small fee".

9. Captain DaFt

How to become a millionaire overnight

Start with a billion, invest in Facebook.

10. Jonjonz
    Trollface

Lazy Jerks Will Love This

How nice, little Johnny is sending us, his favorite Auntie, some chokies on our birthday, except he was too lazy and inconsiderate to even know where we live, so if I want the sweets I have to enter my address for him.

Sure to be a hit with the farcebook banboies but for the rest of us who left that cess pool years ago, just one more thing to despise about the whole churlish venture.

Don't forget 90% of Zukies income comes from Farmville. Yes sir, asian pay to win digital paper dolls is going to make the world a better place.

11. Mr Young
    Happy

It's been along time...

Any Youtube videos of cats as passengers on modern motorbikes around here? I sure do need some LOL tbh

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like