back to article Mozilla's Persona single sign-on service enters beta

The Mozilla Foundation has announced a public beta of Persona, its browser-based website login system aimed at doing away with traditional usernames and passwords. El Reg first reported on Persona in 2011, when Mozilla launched the technology as an experimental prototype. Back then, the system was known as BrowserID, but …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Facepalm

Mozilla Persona vs. Mozilla Personas

Oops.

1. Fuzz

Re: Mozilla Persona vs. Mozilla Personas

For those who don't know, Personas with the s on the end are like skins or themes for your browser. Right hand not talking to left hand at Mozilla then.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Down

Re: Mozilla Persona vs. Mozilla Personas

Worse still, Persona is/was a Unipath product intended to provide contraception by keeping track of fertility cycles and thus avoid pregnancy. I think it may have been withdrawn after it was found to not provide as good accuracy in real use compared with the trials that were run before the launch.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
    Unhappy

OMFG!

"The Persona name resonates with the idea of personhood as well as online identity as a facet of our lives..."

Just what was it that called for that outpouring of advertising copywriter's wankspik? I feel nauseated.

3. Clive Galway

Like the general idea, but it needs to go further

Personally, I think that passports should also come with a unique id or some other way of linking one and only one of these accounts per person. Sure, have a billion email addresses or facebook accts if you want, but I think we need a way that each person gets one single confirmed identity on the internet.

I am NOT saying that it should be possible for one user to identify who another account actually is, I am just saying we should be able to restrict access to things on a per-person instead of a per-emai-address basis.

For example, if we had single IDs, it would aid commerce because people would be able to offer fully featured trials for things (relatively) safe in the knowledge that people cannot simply sign up for endless trial accounts to avoid paying for the full product.

4. ad47uk
    Thumb Down

been tried time and time again

and more or less failed. how many people uses these sort of service? OpenId was suppose to be the only one thing we needed to sign in and yet even after all these years very few websites uses it.

i don't use firefox any more, but if I did, I would still carry on using the way I normally use to sign into websites.

5. The Envoy
    Trollface

Stop it, I say!

Change is confusing. Stop it. Now.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Resonates with Bollocks!

"The Persona name resonates with the idea of personhood as well as online identity as a facet of our lives, and therefore strongly tied to user identity,"

(The text is too long for the title, and the title is too short for the text: consider them swapped.)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like