back to article Blazing new comet may OUTSHINE THE MOON in 2013

Astroboffins have spotted a new comet that's scheduled to make its earthly appearance in November 2013, blazing through the night skies with a brightness that could well outshine the full Moon. According to the UK's Astronomy Now, the prosaically named comet C/2012 S1 was discovered last Friday by astronomers Vitali Nevski and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just as well its not due to arrive on 21st December 2012 otherwise I really would be worried.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Alien

Little known fact: Mayan priests outsourced their calculations

Like any empire they called in the consultants to advise on best practices. Having precipitated the Great Collapse (downsizing went a little too far) the arduous business of date calculation was outsourced, and this off-by-one error arose from a poor translation of the original ISO9001-compliant astrology. The k’uhul ajaw apologises for any inconvience that the delayed end of the world may cause for you

1. Notas Badoff
        Facepalm

Revealed! The "new world" used ones-complement arithmetic...

Simple, when the archeologists were transcribing the calendrical numbers they didn't convert the negative values correctly. It was part of the "old forgotten knowledge"...

(I watched and laughed when Uggh University got done with porting the Cobol accounting code and converting the old data tapes and started seeing parallel run figures off by mere pennies on the new computer systems. Much finger-pointing back and forth until bright students (sidelined early as inexperienced and unuseful) asked if they were converting from the old system's ones-complement integers to the new system's twos-complement numbers. How no one higher-up had noticed in the RFC's and granting of new contracts that the number system had changed... was no mystery to those 'sidelined'. So... cut-over delayed some number of months, though not quite a year... Then the real disaster ensued...)

2. AndrueC Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Yeah. I've read Lucifer's Hammer.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Coffee/keyboard

Hamner-Brown

I wish I knew how to surf, but I do own a small telescope.

Escape? Not much chance of that.

2. Peter Murphy
        Unhappy

I, too, have read Lucifer's Hammer.

It's not really a happy read. After the meteor and and the tidal waves, you have to watch out for the cannibal fundamentalist gangbangers.

(Jerry Pournelle disliked both tele-evangelists and Black Panthers, so in the novel, he decided to ally them together as the adversaries of the good guys. And because there was a shortage of food in the novel, he added long pig as a sacrament for the new "religion".)

2. Originone

800,000 miles from the sun?

Are they sure this number is right? Obviously it could be but it seems rather close in astronomical terms, and if it does get this close surely it will have ablated all it has to ablate long before reaching perihelion?

1. thejackle

Re: 800,000 miles from the sun?

It is very close indeed, considering Mercury barely gets with 30 million miles at its closest, but Lovejoy actually passed through the Sun's corona last year - approaching with 88,000 miles. Now that's toasty.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A white point star?

Does anyone know the date in November 2013? Wouldn't be the 23rd, would it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RTFA

Article says Nov. 28 2013. That's Thanksgiving Day here, so if it turns out as bright as all that I'm sure it'll be known as the Thanksgiving Day Comet in the US.

I'm not getting my hopes up, as I'm just old enough to remember being a little kid when Kohoutek came by and being bitterly disappointed when the hype turned out to be just that.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Look at meeeee...

",...blame those optimistic scientists, ..."

They remind one of testosterone-fueled teenagers who can predict epic failure by preceding an action with the words, "Hey guys, watch this!"

I hope it's spectacular but won't shed a tear if it's not.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But that's going to be a problem, won''t it attract young coppers who think it's suspicious? ;)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

"Or not."

Depressingly predictable outcome for such phenomena, and not for the shininess,

I think the Met office ought to take note of the date and plug into their models the near certainty of blanket clouds over the UK.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Re: "Or not."

Same here in the Netherlands.

Hale-Bopp and Hyakutake were pretty good though. And anyway, a comet like this would be visible for quite a long time. Time to get that astronomized DSLR ready.

7. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Is it me?

Or has anyone else noticed that lunar craters tend to be perfectly hemispherical?

1. FartingHippo
      Thumb Up

Re: Is it me?

Assuming you mean "round when viewed from above", as opposed to the tear-shaped crater you'd expect from an oblique impact, then I'd very much like to know the answer. It's not as if there's any atmosphere to aggressively remove or reduce the lateral velocity vector.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

See AndrueC's comment above....read the book

1. AndrueC Silver badge
          Thumb Up

Yeah there's a 'scene' in that where Tim says he's been to NASA and they explained the shape of craters if I remember correctly. It's been years since I read it. There's also a scene where the sea wipes out London. Still - it is really an optimistic novel :)

1. VinceH
            Mushroom

I still have a copy somewhere. I might give it another read in the run up to this comet's appearance (or not-much-of-an-appearance as the case may be).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yep, check Plato...

Thats a round crater....

3. Mike Flugennock

Or has anyone else noticed that lunar craters tend to be perfectly hemispherical?

Wellll-llll... yes, and no. It depends on the angle of attack of the incoming impactors. Ones that come more or less straight in produce round, hemispherical craters, but then, if you look at enough detailed fotos of the Moon, you can see oblong gouge-shaped impacts from where objects sort of augured in at a more shallow angle.

Next time you're out after a heavy rainfall, find a thick mud puddle and flip some stones into it, to get an idea.

8. Roger Kynaston
    Pint

Shirly we need a pluto rant by now

Pluto is a planet. I won't try for FOTW though

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Happy

Re: Shirly we need a pluto rant by now

Ooooooohhhhhh no it isn't......

1. Roger Kynaston
        Pint

Re:Re: Shirly we need a pluto rant by now

Oooohhh yes it is!!

More beer as I am on leave tomorrow.

1. Mike Manship
          Megaphone

Re: Re:Shirly we need a pluto rant by now

It's a dwarf planet.

Get over it.

1. Lee Dowling Silver badge

Dimensionally-challenged, if you please.

2. VinceH

"It's a dwarf planet."

Look, just because its inhabitants are really, really small, there is no need to be insulting about it!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Shirly we need a pluto rant by now

Why are we ranting about Pluto when it's NEPTUNE that is NOT A FUCKING PLANET ACCORDING TO THE NEW RULES. Yep that's right: Neptune hasn't cleared its orbit of other stuff because Pluto's orbit is still crossing Neptune's orbit, therefore Neptune cannot be a planet. It doesn't matter about the 3:2 resonance preventing collision: the orbits do cross which means the orbits have not been cleared. Those stupid cretins at IAU really bollocksed that one up, didn't they! Fuckwits.

9. Pete 2 Silver badge

Just another streetlight

Predicting the "spectacular-lessness" of comets, meteor showers, eclipses, transits (of the non-Ford variety) and planetary conjunctions is prone to hype. Not so much because of what the astronomers, in their enthusiasm, say but in the way the inexperienced media go completely doolally when they have something extra-terrestrial to report.

So yes, hopefully this comet will be bright. Hopefully if won't be obscured by clouds for months on end. Hopefully it won't be washed out by the full moon or by being too close to the sun in the sky. However, for the vast majority of people even the moon at its brightest has to compete with thousands of streetlights - all pouring wasted light into our skies and turning what should be a spectacular night-time view into a dull orange glow.

Luckily the Normans, in their conquest, didn't have to worry about such things or their tapestry wouldn't have featured a comet at all.

10. Spoonsinger
    Alert

No doubt everyone will being going outside to have a look.

So note to self.

Stock up on canned goods, leave note out for milkman and polish shotgun for the next days festivities.

1. Graham Marsden

Re: No doubt everyone will being going outside to have a look.

... And make sure you've got rid of any large, walking plants...!

11. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Oh, noes!

First, the Earth has broke in half and now a comet is coming! 8-()

12. Crisp

Those crazy Astroboffins!

What will they discover next?

13. AlanB

Why impact craters are round

Because the crater is formed when the impacting body vaporises.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-are-impact-craters-al

14. David Cantrell
    Go

28th of November? My birthday! It's a sign from the LORD that I am ... something or other!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"We may scoff at Harold's fear of Halley's Comet"

If my sketchy memory of primary school history lessons holds true, then i seem to recall the battle of Hastings not turning out too great for Harold - so he was kinda right to be worried.

1. rjmx
      Joke

Re: "We may scoff at Harold's fear of Halley's Comet"

You mean "hAROLD" (well, that's what the tapestry says).

Looks like somebody had caps lock on when they made it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "We may scoff at Harold's fear of Halley's Comet"

Part of Harold's problem may have been that they'd all just marched down from Stamford Bridge, possibly from playing Chelsea?

16. andy k O'Croydon
    Thumb Up

Cheers for the link

A nice reminder of some Medieval history i'd forgotten about since leaving school.

17. Tim Parker
    Happy

Wishes...

All this talk reminds me of this...

18. alcesmalchis

Have they checked for 100 mile long spaceships nearby?

Last thing we need is a naked space vampire zombie apocalypse!

1. David Haig

Re: Have they checked for 100 mile long spaceships nearby?

Nothing wrong with naked space vampires of the (insert gender here) kind

19. Dennis Wilson
    Holmes

Watching

NASA put in place the Near-Earth Object Program Office.. They then spent two years and millions setting up the Sentry automatic impact monitoring system to watch for earth bound objects. Then along comes two pensioners from russia and find the stupid thing.

20. Mage Silver badge
    Coat

Hmm.

Watch out for strange plants around the same time. XKCD can tell us how many lasers it's equivalent to.

Mines the one with really dark sunglasses in the pocket.

21. Denarius
    Meh

probably be dim

orbit suggests an ancestral connection to Great Comet of 1860 ITIRC, so it may have been toasted in far past.

It is the ones in polar orbits around Sun that might be potentially disastrous. Biggest crater on Vesta, Moon and Mars is where ? South poles.

It is speculated that around 2040 there will be another group of sun diving comets to entertain the grandkids, so you young whippersnappers have something to look forward to.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like