back to article Connected TVs snatch online video viewing crown from PCs

More people watch internet-sourced video on their TVs than their PCs - at least in the US. Another sign, maybe, that the PC is losing its place at the centre of consumers' digital lives, at least for video entertainment. According to NPD, a North American market watcher, during the past 12 months the proportion of folk …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sigh

My sammy tv does a great job of streaming Downtown Abbey on iplayer and random kids cartoons on youtube. My myth box saves everything I want to watch to my cheap android tablet for the commute to work... When's the next IT Crowd repeat?

1. Joseph Lord
      Happy

Re: Sigh

Why the sigh? I have a similar set up and it is great.

My Sony TV does the iPlayer, Demand Five (some good kids stuff), Lovefilm and Youtube. It also plays direct from the Myth box over DLNA.

Netflix has the IT Crowd I think. Your Sammy might be able to get that direct, I need to turn on the PS3 for Netflix.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Sigh

Somehow I don't think he wants to watch Downton Abbey or kids cartoons...

2. InsaneLampshade

Best of both worlds...

My PC is plugged into my TV.

1. Sporkinum

Re: Best of both worlds...

Same here. No issues with what I can or can't watch due to hardware. Seems like the best solution to me.

2. Random K
      Thumb Up

Re: Best of both worlds...

Upvoted.

An HTPC / home NAS really makes life easier when you've got your whole family's collection of mobes, tablets, laptops, consoles, etc all wanting to get at the same data. The advantages of a full fat OS over a "smart" TV are fairly obvious. My wife and daughter may never use the mouse/game controller/keyboard on the coffee table, but having that option is great. I also like the advantage of having one interface that controls/records antenna, ripped movies, streaming content, console emulation, and BlueRay. And, if I decide I'm sick of that interface I can easily swap it out for another one or customize the one in use.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All data, all the time, everywhere

Convergence marches on. Telly, tablet, PC, all just data consuming and data presenting appliances. Evolution of electricity use similar.

Time was, electric motors were sold separately to power existing machinery previously powered by hand/horse/steam. Then the machinery became integrated with electric motors, so separate motors (now set top boxes) no longer were needed. Finally, new classes of machinery using electricity were developed. I expect the same with data using devices.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like