back to article Microsoft extends Windows Server 2008 support

Sysadmins can plan a more relaxed schedule for 2013, after Microsoft extended support for Windows Server 2008 to January 15th, 2015. Redmond initially planned to send the OS to the graveyard, at least in terms of provision of official support, on July 9th, 2013. Microsoft has now decided, in its Support Lifecycle Quarterly …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Fuzz

mainstream support

I don't think you've read this right.

Microsoft have extended the mainstream support i.e. the product will still be in mainstream support until 2015 after that it will transition to extended support. Where it will receive fixes right up until 2020.

What's interesting here is that microsoft are treating 2012 as the replacement to 2008 rather than 2008R2.

I would imagine far more people are using 2008R2 than 2008

Of course none of this is important, the only important upcoming dates are 2014 for XP and 2015 for 2003 after which there will be no more support for IE6 and the browser can finally be forgotten about.

1. HipposRule
      Meh

Re: mainstream support

Not completely true: We've rolled out a solution in 160 sites that was 2008 as the app is only 32 bit. The app is in scope for PCI and we normally have a 10 year life on it so the extension to 2020 is really handy. IE6 - again, not quite right as Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 (based on XP embedded) is supported till 2019 (another bonus for a 10 year in-scope PCI project) so notionally IE6 should be supported on that - ok we use IE8 - but even with us that's over 6000 devices.

1. Danny 14

indeed, we have a legacy 2008 server (the rest are R2) mainly for 32 bit apps that wont play on R2 (including some printers that I hope will be very very dead by 2015)

2. Jad
        Unhappy

it'd really help if I saw "POS" as "Point of Sale" ... not "Piece of sh**" ...

2. yossarianuk

upgrade windows server to the next version?

I assume you can't easily upgrade one Windows server version to the next (and everything work?)

The only OS I have seen that work (i.e pretty much 100%) is debian based Linux systems (i.e Ubuntu also) which is a huge advantage to systems you cannot.

(we have many production servers that were originally running Debian 3, now running squeeze)

even Redhat suggests not upgrading but doing a fresh install (they do not support upgrades)

https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/ch-upgrade-x86.html

1. Danny 14

Re: upgrade windows server to the next version?

I dont think I have ever tried. Certainly 2008 -> anything else might be problematic if you arent running 64bit.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: upgrade windows server to the next version?

@Yossarianuk: In business you don't upgrade between versions of OSes, you build your replacement server, install whatever software is needed and test it. Once the testing is complete, at an appointed time you cut over from the legacy machine to the new machine, keeping the legacy machine in a standby mode. If everything goes well, you bin the legacy machine, if not you revert back to the legacy machine, and get it right next time.

As an aside: I have never found OS upgrades for Windows, Linux or UNIX to be anything but significantly more hassle than they are worth. I upgraded two ubuntu machines from the previous LTS to the current LTS last week and they both needed to be rebuilt from scratch as the upgrade knackered them so much.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like