back to article Mozilla 2 promises big change

The beta 3 version of Firefox 3, released this week, will probably be the last version of the browser based on the original Mozilla platform, celebrating its tenth anniversary next week. Work is already underway on a revamp of Firefox's underlying platform - Mozilla. It was on February 23, 1998, that Netscape announced the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andy

I actually laughed out loud -

- when I read that line about volunteers to port the code to a mobile version. Good luck with that! I'm sure the giant, bloated, slow and aged Gecko will be a joy to port. And at least slightly easier than porting Microsoft Office to RISC OS...

Seriously, I hope Moz2 is a thorough restructuring and optimisation, because the engine really needs it in order to be portable and lightweight enough for mobile devices. We could do with another rendering engine to rival the ever-spreading Webkit, too; competition is good.

2. Simon Greenwood

There is a mobile version

For Windows Mobile at least. It's called Minimo and is backed by the Mozilla Foundation. Plus, the Gecko engine isn't bloated, it's the framework around it that is bloated. Epiphany for Linux is proof that you can still build a lightweight browser around it.

This topic is closed for new posts.