back to article iPhone 5 Lightning cables sticking in USB ports

Owners of the new iPhone 5 are reporting a sticky problem with the new "Lightning" cable used to connect their handsets to power sources or computers sticking in USB sockets. Lightning is Apple's replacement for its 30-pin connector and terminates in a standard type A USB plug, as featured in USB memory sticks and pictured at …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Big-nosed Pengie
    Devil

BEHEAD THOSE

who question Apple's perfection!

1. Shagbag

Re: BEHEAD THOSE

Ordinarily, I'd say "stop being so damn picky" but as Apple charges a HUGE margin on ANY of its products I feel consumers are right to moan about even the smallest problems with Apple products.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

No numbers...

So we can't tell if it is a design flaw, or a limited manufacturing flaw. My money is on the latter, one of the cross beams has gone out of skew on the treadle, obviously. Happens all the time, but is usually picked up QA.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: BEHEAD THOSE

Yeah, because it's *never* happened to me with *any* other USB cable.

Just sayin...

2. The Alpha Klutz
    Thumb Up

the white plastic surrounding the USB end slides right of revealing the medal connectors

shit, I wish I had medal connectors.

Anyway, It's nice to see the business practice of ripping your customers off with poorly made proprietary connectors is still thriving.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: the white plastic surrounding the USB end slides right of revealing the medal connectors

Wait - since when were USB connectors proprietary?

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge
        FAIL

Re: the white plastic surrounding the USB end slides right of revealing the medal connectors

They aren't, but did you check the other end of the cable?

2. The Alpha Klutz

im guessing the 30 pin connector on the other end is....

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The 30 pin connector at the other ensd only has 9 pins.

Check facts - then post.

Sorry - forgot this was the refister.

1. sabba
            FAIL

30 pins or 9 pins!! Who cares. The relevant point is the bit about them still using a proprietary interface at the other end.

And talking of which - what is it with Apple and this interface. Looks the same on the iPad / iPod / iPhone but you can't use the same devices with them. Even amongst the same product line (e.g. the iPod) they vary the spec.

1. tomjol

"Looks the same on the iPad / iPod / iPhone but you can't use the same devices with them. Even amongst the same product line (e.g. the iPod) they vary the spec."

What does this mean? That you can't plug an iPod into an iPhone?

Can't say I've ever had any trouble with any 30-pin cable on any device but that said I haven't owned many for a long time...

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

The 'relevant point' is that it's crappy manufacturing of the USB plug end, not the proprietary end.

They could have continued using the existing 30 pin connector but used cables from a different manufacturer, and could still have the same problem.

They could even have used a micro-USB connector on the phone, and still had the same problem, as it's the USB plug on the other end that is the issue.

This could also have happened with any Android phone, camera, anything that uses USB cables. It's a bad manufacturing process due to trying to reduce the cost of goods sold to maximise profit. Could have happened to any company, as they all try to minimise costs and maximise profit.

3. Richard Jones 1
        Happy

'Wait - since when were USB connectors proprietary?' When you make a pigs ear out of building an industry standard item - but of course the [other guy] rest of the world was wrong for following the industrial specification.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shut up! It JUST WORKS!

Between this and the iPhone-4s-just-extruded form factor, St. Jony really phoned it in this time. Too busy hobnobbing with Bono, brainstorming AIDS-themed DSLR's or whatever the F it is this time. Or was it Livestrong he's involved with? So hard to keep track of the turtlenecked beautiful people.

4. solidsoup
    Trollface

Usual Apple bashing

It was probably the female sockets that are to blame. A lot of computer equipment has ones that aren't specced properly. I bet it works fine with all current generation Apple hardware. Not sure why people would use an iPhone with a non-Mac computer anyway. This is a usual Apple bashing by the Reg. Either make sure all your USB ports are up to spec or find another yourself another phone. This isn't Apples problem.

1. ThomH

Re: Usual Apple bashing

iPhones outsell Macs by about 7:1. Any notion that they sell exclusively to closed-minded sheltered people who buy nothing but Apple is demonstrably false. It's likely that the vast majority of iPhones are used with computers other than Macs, if they're used with computers at all.

1. neek
        Thumb Up

I refer you to yonder troll icon :) Clearly all other hardware is at fault, what other explanation could there be?

2. Malcolm Weir Silver badge

Dude.... if it's the socket, then the socket on APPLE'S POWER BRICKS that's at fault.

Or perhaps people are just holding it wrong?

1. solidsoup
        Facepalm

Can't you read?

I said current generation hardware. The guy was probably using power block from his iPhone 4 or even worse 3GS.

1. Malcolm Weir Silver badge

Re: Can't you read?

Of course, you have absolutely no basis for that claim. And given that the iPhone 5 has it's own power brick IN THE BOX, that nice Mr. Occam would suggest that since postulating an random old piece of APPLE kit hanging around is hardly simple, the most likely explanation is the one that makes you look like a bit of a blowhard fanboi.

Still, if your point is that Apple has repeatedly produced non-compliant, non-interoperable USB stuff, so it's hardly surprising if they've done it yet again, then I'll agree with you.

(Tthe whole point of "Lighting" is so Apple can control the accessory market. It's not like it does anyone except them any favors...)

2. JaitcH
        WTF?

Or perhaps people are just holding it wrong?

Sounds like another case of The Grip problem they experienced with a certain version of the phone.

3. BristolBachelor Gold badge

"... are up to spec..."

Hold on. Doesn't the USB spec say that plugs should have a feature on the top side to feel which way is up to help plugging it in by touch (including helping the visually impared?) Please tell me that the little white sleeves now have a braille type dot on or something now.

1. Suricou Raven

You mean... a *MARK!* Something to horrible to corrupt the clean Apple white? Blasphemous!

My mac pro (Which I only got for dual-xeon goodness) doesn't even have an eject button on the outside. I once got a disc stuck in the 'superdrive' and had to open the computer up to extract it.

Incidentially, as I imagine we all knew, the 'superdrive' is actually your plain sata-interfaced DVD-writer. Even has an eject button on, there's just no way to reach it while the computer is assembled.

2. Fatman
        Stop

Re: help plugging it in by touch

I just checked the USB connector for my webcam, and one side of it has the USB logo on it, which corresponds to the part of the male connector that covers the contacts. (And, thanks for pointing that out, as I never really paid any attention to that spec requirement.)

Now, whether or not Apple includes a USB spec compliant cable is something I can not speak to.

Kit made by that rotten to the core company will never find its way into my home.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not sure if troll.

Or zombie Steve jobs.

Well played.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes, it IS crApples problem. They remodelled the connector into some new custom fangled thingymebob.

They will no doubt have licensed it and as such have a duty to make sure its safe and functional...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Fanbois and handing out downvotes when someone berates crApple......Like flies and shite....

Inseperable...

6. Vince
      FAIL

It's funny, because I've never EVER heard of this "issue" before, and I work with many many people, and many many different computers every day, and to date I can't recall anyone complaining that a USB cable and socket wouldn't connect/disconnect properly.

Is it a "not apples problem" thing in a classic "la-la-la fingers in ear, can't hear you, so no problem" way?

7. BorkedAgain
      Thumb Up

@SolidSoup

I upvoted you because I got the joke. Y'funny. :)

8. JaitcH
      FAIL

The USB is IEEE Specced ... good enough?

Apple is usually the one at fault with connectors as it always want to "improve" things to make them incompatible (think USB charging with those couple of extra resistors).

Incompatibility means MONEY to Apple.

9. Badvok
      Thumb Up

@solidsoup - have an upvote for the joke, pity there are so many here who don't recognize humor when they see it, even when tagged with a blatant troll icon.

10. BioPeek
      Paris Hilton

>It was probably the female sockets that are to blame.

There's nothing wrong with our Paris's socket!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/graphics/icons/comment/paris_hilton_32.png

1. solidsoup
        Angel

I was hoping the downvotes from people who didn't get sarcasm would cancel out by upvotes from fanbois... who didn't get sarcasm. I guess not. Oh well, at least I wasn't labeled a sexist for blaming female parts.

@Malcolm Weir

What's this Occam's Razor you speak of? Is that the one with expensive proprietary and incompatible cartridges?

1. Malcolm Weir Silver badge

Occam's Razor is very very cheap; they make all their money on the blades.

(Sorry... I don't usually look at the icons, so missed the clues....)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WWSS

What Would Steve Say

You're removing it wrong, so buy enough cables for all of your chargers and computer. It is not that big of a deal they are only $19 and are out of stock.

6. Mort
    Trollface

Well obviously...

You're plugging it in wrong

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

5?

I've had this problem with friends Macbooks. I couldn't pull my USB memory out. Perhaps Apple has slightly different USB dimensions.

1. Anonymous John

Re: 5?

Or rounded corners.

8. Spotswood
    Angel

STOP THE PRESS

It's now come to light that female USB A connectors have been manufactured incorrectly for years! Apple have 'got it right' and when hardware manufactures catch up it will 'just work'. If hardware manufacturers don't step up, Apple will have 'pioneered' a 'new standard' in connectivity, (and will probably patent it too).

1. BorkedAgain
      Joke

Re: STOP THE PRESS

Reminds me of an old joke from the IE6 days (probably):

"How many Microsoft developers does it take to change a lightbulb? None - they simply declare "dark" to be the new industry standard."

Perhaps a re-write is in order...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We have you now

10. Mat
    Trollface

From Steve in heaven:

Just get a bigger USB socket - No big deal!

Sent from my iPhone 7 on cloud 9

1. Gob Smacked
      Devil

Re: From Steve in heaven:

"Sent from my iPhone 7 of cloud 9, fully assimilated. Resistance is futile."

There, fixed it for ya... :)

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well I have tried mu cable in about 10 different USB ports - no problems.

1. Christopher Rogers
      Trollface

what do you mean? It has fried your keyboard!

12. VinceH
    Trollface

Optional

This is just Apple reinforcing its walled garden and extending it to other hardware and peripherals: once you plug the usb end of the new connector into something, you can only ever use that connector in that usb socket - and therefore that socket can now only ever be used with an iThing.

13. Fuzz

It's no really an issue is it?

Apple probably have a batch of slightly too tight connectors, a visit to the Apple store will get them replaced no question.

I guess the story here is that if I bought a new phone and found the cable was too tight I'd just use a different one out of the drawer. Apple makes you go to the shop and get one from their drawer.

1. Paul E

Re: It's no really an issue is it?

Well I guess it depends how large the batch is?

2. thesykes
      FAIL

" I'd just use a different one out of the drawer"

As it's a brand new design with a brand new proprietary connector at the other end, how many people are likely to have a few spare ones lying around?

1. Ian 31
        FAIL

You didn't read to the end of that post, did you?

"Apple makes you go to the shop and get one from their drawer."

3. JaitcH
      WTF?

It **IS** an "Issue"

It's called Quality Control, something that is lacking in Apple ... witness their crappy MAPS app .... Quality Control.

They even check cars these days, before they leave the factory. Not Apple.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: It **IS** an "Issue"

"They even check cars these days, before they leave the factory"

And then they do the recall after thousand of models are fitted with the wong sized clutch or the brake pedal gets caught in the carpets or the steering wheel jams at full lock after 1000 miles or the airbag goes off after going over a speed-bump..

Quality control has never stopped things going wrong.

4. Blitterbug
      Happy

You haven't actually clicked any of the story links, have you? Peeps have had their Apple keyboard destroyed by this cable. And also things they keep calling 'wall warts', though I have absolutely no idea what those may be. Are some Fanbois plugging their shinies into hamsters out of mistake / curiosity? Or perhaps odd skin complaints caused by over-exposure to white product?

14. Tank boy
    Mushroom

Who'd have thunk?

"Some posters say downward pressure, to angle the USB plug down a little, helps to withdraw it from the socket."

So in other words: Wiggle it. High-tech at it's finest!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Who'd have thunk?

imagine having to sign up to the Apple forum just to be told to wiggle it.

1. JaitcH
        Facepalm

imagine having to sign up to the Apple forum just to be told to wiggle it

Show respect!

Remember we are talking of Lemmings Those furry creatures with strong legs who follow each other.

They are also known to sleep out every so often outside stores with pictures of nibbled fruit on the windows.

1. Fatman

Re: Remember we are talking of Lemmings

Please correct your post!!!!

It should read:

Remember we are talking of iLemmings....

Perfect stooges for Samsung to ridicule (as in their recent ads).

15. james 68

duh

its obvious innit?

apple has altered the male usb connector 'just enough' to claim that its a different and 'new' product

now they will patent their 'new' usb end using their favorite sympathetic court of law

stand by to see them suing the ass off of every single manufacturer out their next year for making usb ends too similar to apples "original and innovative" proprietary design.

its what theyve done with everything else and its made them a fortune, why stop now?

16. Lloyd

Still

I'm sure it looks lovely and people will worship at your feet for owning such a beautiful cable, how are things in Shoreditch?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Independent online reports that there are also complaints about poor finish on some iPhone5 units.

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2012/09/25/iphone-5-users-reporting-manufacturing-faults-right-out-of-the-box/

1. Euchrid

Reports?

"The Independent online reports that there are also complaints about poor finish on some iPhone5 units."

I think 'reports' is a little charitable. The hack writes that "some customers" have complained about issues - but how many is 'some'? How widespread is the issue? Now, I have read forum posts that have referred to the sort of problems that he's referring to, so I know the reports are coming from somewhere, but the Indy hack provides no details about where he got his information from - speaking as an ex-hack myself, that's just shockingly bad. Would adding a link or two kill him? As I've a base cynical mind, I suspect that the reason that he gave a link to another Indy story only is to do with trying to drive the site's Web traffic.

Still, it doesn't really matter. The sheer mention of Apple will generate hits - to hell with actual reporting.

18. JaitcH
    FAIL

Apple and connectors ...

a fatal combination.

USB connectors, bashed out by the millions and Apple gets it wrong?

More likely they have another adapter to sell? Even better, a reversible one, so their favourite type of person can't plug it in backwards.

Baa, baa.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh well

Just get on ebay and buy a cheap Chinese knock-off cable with standard usb connectors.

1. gerryg
      Gimp

alas not

The lightning connector has a proprietary chip in it seemingly with the sole purpose of preventing cheap knock-offs

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/report-apples-lightning-connector-wont-work-without-unique-chip-1099441

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: alas not

I'll give it less than a month. Where are these things made again?

2. Crisp

It's not protectionism! It's Innovation!

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Have you not thought that the chip serves a purpose? I doubt it is simply there for the sake of it. It is probably some sort of chip for backward compatibility.

20. Justice

Hmmmm...

I wonder how much an Apple USB to Rest-of-the-World Standard USB adaptor will cost?

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Vaseline

I found vaseline helped with mine. Goes in and out real easy now.

1. VinceH
      Joke

Re: Vaseline

"I found vaseline helped with mine. Goes in and out real easy now."

That may be so, but what does it have to do with Apple's connectors?

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: Vaseline voides warranty

You need iLube. $19.95 per ml. It's made from unicorns.

22. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Infidels

You're just holding it 'rong!

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Better headline : "Apple fans can't get it out"

that is all.

24. skeete
    Megaphone

I love how "Apple had not responded to a request for comment at the time of publication."

Basically they see if there is a way they can side step their responsibilities, when at the end of the day they should just say we "are looking into it"

Just goes to show how little they respect the users of their technology.

1. Crisp

This happens every time.

They show nothing but utter contempt for their customers when they refuse to make any kind of comment on issues like this.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: This happens every time.

Why should they make a comment? What good would it do?

Better just to replace the faulty item and be done with it - which appears to be what they are doing.

Showing contempt would be NOT replacing the faulty item.

1. Crisp

Re: This happens every time.

They are replacing the faulty item with another faulty item.

There's your contempt.

25. LPF
    Meh

Maybe I'm being dense , but that articlke reads as if people are trying to put the lightling plug into a USB socket.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iFile.

Coming soon, the iFile. You can file down those USB sockets as well as your finger tips for the new smaller iPad.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sheesh! What do they expect for $25.

28. Piro Silver badge
    FAIL

No big deal..

... You're just removing it wrong.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Morons

The set of comments sets a new low in moronic banter (the one joke excluded)

30. Crisp
    FAIL

That's a rather serious design flaw.

Maybe they should have gone with a standard cable for their new product rather than "innovating" a new patented design.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

USB Patent

Apple have now patented the "Correct" USB design and are suing all the other manufactures that have very closely copping their design.

An Apple suit a day keeps the competition at bay.

32. Danny 14
    Thumb Up

easy, just buy another cable then you can leave it plugged in. Its a feature.

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

oh come on !

i think they are just trying to pull it out wrong !!!

34. Slowie
    Joke

Apple's Official Statement

Your pulling it out wrong

35. Ilsa Loving
    Coat

Oblig.

You're just inserting it wrong.

Followed by:

That's what she said.

36. Arachnoid
    Thumb Down

Maybe its caught on the pips

37. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That'll be

That precision engineering Sir Jonathon Ive (or Jony Ive as it says on the video) waxes lyrical about.

It'll be fixed in iPhone 6 that is oh so much better than that iPhone 5 we launched last year as this one is made from pure diamond.

That'll be 900 quid please.

AC flameproof mask and coat donned to avoid the fanboi flames.

38. Tim Bates
    Coat

Just don't charge it that way!

I think we all know the correct Apple response to this should be:

Just don't charge it that way.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like