back to article Now Apple cuts back on Samsung displays

Apple is scaling back its purchase of tablet LCD displays from Samsung's display wing, in what looks like another clear sign that Cupertino wants to reduce its dependence on the Korean giant in the wake of their recent acrimonious patent battles. Stats from market-watcher DisplaySearch seen by the Korea Times revealed that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LarsG
    Meh

This could be:

Either

Two fingers up at Samsung

Or

Sharp and the others are able to manufacture the components cheaper

Or

They don't have the capacity as they are selling more phones and won't prioritise apple products

You choose!

1. Peter Storm

Or it could be a quality issue-

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20121897-37/iphone-4s-users-seeing-yellowish-screen-tint/

Wouldn't surprise me. Everything Samsung I've ever owned has been shit quality.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Me too

Over the years I have bought various electronic kit of Samsung, 3 exactly, none of them phone, but from the poor quality and serviceability issues experienced I have kept away from the Samsung brand.

However, I did get an entry level Samsung smartphone for my son a couple of months ago and it's a nice little phone, but it does not compare to my older HTC windows phones nor my more recent Nokias. Tempted to buy the new Samsung dual sim Galaxy, the best spec dual sim out there (they are normally sh1tty phones for the "developing world"). It looks good on paper but I worry about the quality. My son's phone, if he drops it then it will be sure to fall apart, unlike the HTCs and Nokias which are sturdy and high quality. I'll need to see one in the store before passing final judgement though.

2. chipxtreme

Samsung don't make the screen's in the 4S you tool

3. Chet Mannly

"Or it could be a quality issue-

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20121897-37/iphone-4s-users-seeing-yellowish-screen-tint/"

Samsung make screens for ipads, not the 4S!

4. Desktop Mobile
        WTF?

@Peter Storm

" Or it could be a quality issue- http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20121897-37/iphone-4s-users-seeing-yellowish-screen-tint/ Wouldn't surprise me. Everything Samsung I've ever owned has been shit quality."

Thank God I found you & your incisive reviews!

I now don't have to read "Which" & the other review websites that test against various complicated & longwinded criteria as I now only have to read your brief reviews that get the heart of the matter. I can sense a TV spin-off!

5. Naughtyhorse

this is a well known apple issue, mate had a mac (dunno which - they all look the same to me, hard to tell through the haze of pretension) and the screen went yellow, he moaned to the fruity idiot tax collector, they basically told him to go fuck himself.

one more of us and one less of them.

6. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Everything Samsung I've ever owned has been shit quality."

Everything Sharp I've ever owned has been shit quality (along with everything Panasonic/Matshita I've worked on. If I get a laptop in with a suspected failing optical drive I can guarantee it'll be a Matshita, but I guess the clue is in the spelling).

7. Mark .

Even if that was true, I note you've also just said that many Apple products are also therefore "shit quality"...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or the fact that they don't want to send any of their designs to a company which may copy the designs and send them on to their phone division.

Sharp aren't a competitor in the phone market.

1. Ross K Silver badge
        Coat

The 80s called. It wants Sharp back...

Sharp aren't a competitor in the phone market.

Sharp aren't competitors in any market. I was surprised to find out last week that they were still trading.

I jest. I hear they're big in the fax machine business...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Actually Sharp has made mobile phones far longer than Apple has. So technically, they are a competitor.

3. hayseed

Apple is American

> Two fingers up at Samsung

ONE middle-finger up

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let's see if the transition away from Samsung chips and displays goes as smoothly as the one from Google Maps.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Indeed.

It's not about what's best for consumers, it's what's best for apple...

I doubt Samsung will be that bothered, Android devices now swamp Apple device sales, who are a relatively small player in the grand scheme of thing, and with the shitty iPhone5 and maps, their days of being top dog are clearly limited.

3. nigel 15

Apple...

...grow up.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple...

It's called business, you partner with people you can trust. When you can't trust them you run a mile. Hence bye bye Google and bye bye Samsung.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And yet people still deal with Apple who have a long history of screwing their partners over at the first opportunity

2. Lance 3

"It's called business, you partner with people you can trust." How well is that trust with the people Apple hired to create their map software?

4. b166er

So, Peter 'troll' Storm, what Samsung products have you owned?

Perhaps you would find the following interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elKxgsrJFhw

1. Peter Storm

Camera, hard drive, radio & TV, for your info. The hard drive and the camera both gave up the ghost just after the warranty ran out. The TV just had really dreadful sound and would reset itself randomly.

Coincidently, I was speaking to someone the other day that was complaining that their digital camera had just died, a few weeks after the guarantee was up. Was it a Samsung" I asked. Yes, he replied. How did you know that?

1. Chet Mannly

Well a friend of mine just had a camera die after 4 months and it was a Canon. He's also got a Samsung TV that he's had for 5 years and has had zero problems with it.

I had a Galaxy S which died after a 3 storey fall onto concrete, and bought an SII to replace it. Over a year of punishment (including being chewed on by a raccoon at one point LOL) and its running just fine.

On the other hand I went through 3 iphone 3GS in 7 months.

However, neither your or my anecdotal evidence proves sh*t in the grand scheme of things...

1. Arctic fox
          Thumb Up

"including being chewed on by a raccoon " Chewed on by a racoon? WTF!

I love it!

2. chipxtreme

I have a Samsung fridge freezer 4 years old, Samsung 55" 3D TV 2.5 years old, Samsung 32" LED TV 2 years old, Samsung 32" LED TV 1 year old, Samsung 3D blu ray player 2 years old, a Samsung laptop 18 months old and a Samsung Galaxy S 3. I've owned quite a few Samsung phones over the years, D500, D600, D900, E900, i8910 Omnia HD, Galaxy S, Galaxy S II and Galaxy Nexus and I think I've even owned a Samsung camera in the past which I sold. My mother has a Samsung LCD 32" TV which is 3 years old and my brother has a Samsung LCD 32" TV that is probably 6 years old. I've also had various Samsung internal and external hard drives over the years too.

The freezer section of my fridge freezer did fail within the first year of ownership but Samsung were quick to send an engineer out to replace a part and it has been fine since. The only other problem i've had is the dog chewing through the laptop charging lead which meant I had to buy a new charger but that wasn't Samsung's fault. Statistically speaking from my own personal experience and YMMV but Samsung has been very reliable for me and I can safely say my next TV will be a Samsung and my next phone will more than likely be a Samsung Galaxy S 4 unless another Android phone comes out that is better.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Facepalm

You're churning through them so quick you probably don't even see them break down! Galaxy S, S2, nexus and S3? Ask the people you've sold all this stuff to.

My Nokia is 4 years old and going strong. My HP laptop is 7 years old. Still going fine. My Canon camera is 9 years and guess what? Still going.

I think your mileage most certainly varies!

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

An HP laptop that lasted 7 years?! Wow, you should tell them, I'm sure they'll beuy that back and put it in a museum.

Company I work for uses HP tech exclusively, worldwide, and we've never had one last that long... on the other hand - dead out the box or dead within a month, almost 1 in 20. Nearly all of them with display issues.

1. Bob. Hitchen
              Thumb Up

HP

My HP laptop is still going on XP I'm typing this on it..

3. Naughtyhorse

if samsung gear is crap...

how come you bought so much of it?

what was it that was defined as doing the same things but expecting different outcomes?

4. Blitterbug
        Happy

Peter

...Sammy gear is actually pretty well-rated generally. And as a Sony fanboi I have to say my Samsung gear is luvvly. I fear you may be living with a quantum singularity that is horribly warping the laws of probability round your gaff.

5. Mephistro

Circumstantial counter-evidence (@ Peter Storm)

"Camera, hard drive, radio & TV, for your info"

HDDs: I'm the happy owner of 4 Samsung HDDs, two of them in my desktop, one in my media server and one in a external casing. Have been using Samsung drives since the beginning of the century and not a single one of them gave me any kind of trouble. I still keep some (three) old Samsung drives stored in the cellar, in case I can find any use for them. Wish I could say the same thing about Seagate and Maxtor (ugh!) drives.

TV sets: four of them at home, ranging from 26'' to 42''. Purchased the first one 5/6 years ago. All of them working fine, good picture quality.

Video Cameras: My exGF owns a Samsung Video Camera since 1999 and last year she was still using it.

YMMV, but from what I hear from clients, friends and relatives who also own Samsung kit, the quality is rather good.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Buying Samsung is penny wise pound foolish IMO

As someone who has worked with them, Samsung has, relatively speaking, imo, the least amount of testing of all the major mobile phone manufacturers. Their priorities are to get it in first to market, paper specs, pricing just below the market leader and to last the warranty period.

They are changing a little now because of Apple and 24 month contracts, but only a little.

Anon for obvious reasons and also the above is my opinion.

3. Marcelo Rodrigues
      Devil

Samsung I have owned

I have two particularly unpleasant memories from Samsung hardware:

1) A table DVD recorder (how do You call it?). It was a substitute to the VCR. Exactly the same, but using DVD-R. Well, according to the specs I coul use DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-RAM. Cool, huh?

It would be cooler if worked. After warm (yes, the darn thing got pretty warm) it worked - sometimes. Not before. My unit - which came faulty and was returned for another. The another. The first a friend bought - who came faulty too! The substitute unit he got. Do the math. Two customers. Two faulty products. Two faulty replacements. No, not happy.

2) I really don't know why - but found out the death rate of DVD drives is rather high for Samsung. Or where, when I used to buy them.

Go on, mock me. I know this is not a study, I know it is statistically irrelevant. But it is MY experience. And I'll be damned if, given the choice, will but Samsung again.

4. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Dropping phones

Thanks for the vid. I think I have dropped all of the phones (Hagenuk, Bosch Ericsson, Nokia and Samsung) I have ever owned generally from a breast or "napoleon" pocket, which is pretty common if your a cyclist. As a result all of them have scratches or nicks on the case but remain perfectly usable and none of the screens has ever broken. While it would be a criterium for me to avoid a particular manufacturer if I knew the devices were more brittle, it's interesting to see how little it matters to I-Phone owners who are obviously happy to pay to have screens repaired. This, along with the huge market for add-ons, is key to Apple's success of selling lifestyle over functionality.

@Peter Storm - someone from Corning posted that the problem with screens was something to do with not letting the adhesive dry properly and nothing to do with the stuff that Samsung makes. But, in any case, there is a world of difference between the quality of components that a particular manufacturer supplies and devices carrying the brand which are often outsourced to one of the few assembly behemoths.

Back to the article: LG's reputation for quality is no better than Samsung's. Apple's biggest problem is probably that it cannot find a supplier of AMOLED screens.

5. drunk.smile
      Trollface

Ummm.... what about their newest drop test?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLW0HrVeoD8&feature=plcp

5. Ross K Silver badge
    Unhappy

An Eye For An Eye

...leaves everybody blind.

When will this patent troll bullshit end?

1. The FunkeyGibbon

Re: An Eye For An Eye

Or in the case of patents leave the whole world without innovation for fear of litigation. Your version is snappier though. :-)

6. AndrueC Silver badge
    Facepalm

Nyah, nyah!

It's like watching little children arguing.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ain't no bitch like an apple bitch.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. banjomike
    Go

I don't suppose Samsung will be surprised...

...Apple have always had a nasty, vindictive, streak.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh dear Apple

Shafting their fanboys once again... it must hurt!

Check out the 650 odd posts on this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1389918

It's well known that the Samsung displays are far superior. There's a similar thread for SSDs - the Samsung drives are measurably faster than the Toshibas and several cases of people returning their purchase to get the Samsung display / SSD.

Oh well, as long as it's shiny, eh?

11. Gil Grissum
    Thumb Down

"Greed is good?"

This case and the remedies for it, were already decided by a jury. That trial is over. Apple is rich enough. No further financial remedy is necessary, and unless I missed something, wasn't the Galaxy S3 not found to infringe on Apple patents, therefore seeking a permanent injunction on the Galaxy S3 is invalid. But wouldn't it be hilarious if Samsung won an injunction on the iPhone 5 for infringing on it's LTE patents? The lawyers are getting rich off this greedy nonsense.

12. Dazed and Confused

Could be

That Apple have just stopped ordering the displays because they know that the iPad is about to be banned frrom US import. The last thing Apple want on their hands is a huge pile of millions of fondle slabs and no one to sell them too.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/20/itc_votes_yes_on_google_apple_investigation/

13. Marty
    Coat

It makes no difference if you believe Samsung copied Apple or agree with the court rulings around the world. But Samsung will have been well aware that as a supplier of components for several apple products, when they went into direct competition with apple that they would not be happy and would most likely reduce the amount of components they buy from them.

The overall thing would have been if they think that the profits from producing phones and tablets under their own brand would, on the whole, outweigh the loss of income from sales of components to Apple.

Other things to consider is that as they were producing screens for apple, capacity for supplying other tablet or phone companies would have been restricted which will now open up again.

bottom line, I dont think Samsung will worry to much if they dont supply Apple,

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you were Apple what would you do - reward a company that copied your products by buying more stuff off them (perhaps even to give them a head start on copying) or go buy the stuff elsewhere...?

I own both Samsung stuff and Apple stuff - the Apple stuff is better / works better / made better but costs a bit more - you get what you pay for.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple were already the biggest customer for Samsung Electronics - so this is going to hurt. Add that to their buyers having near zero loyalty - basically you are buying a good 'Android' phone - if (when you next came to buy a new phone) Asus or HTC or 'someone else' had better hardware you would buy that.

Samsung are also in a sticky place with Android - if I were Google I might want to make a return on my investment in Motorola more than just the patents!

16. Alan Denman

First Samsung, next LG

A poison contract .

Hang on LG !

17. b166er

OK, drunk.smile I see some improvements have been made. Although most YouTube commenters think SquareTrade are biased.

But I have an S2.

Check this one out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXOezJKpOsg

Beat that.

18. Canuck1970
    Thumb Down

Idiotic Move on Apple's Part

Currently, Samsung appears to be the ONLY reliable LCD panel supplier for Apple's high-end 15" Macbook Pro with Retina display.

For more information on this absolute mess, click here...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4034848?tstart=0

(especially read the last few weeks of this thread)

...and here...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Apple-Please-Recall-Retina-Macbook-Pros-with-LG-Displays/515441551804955

No good will come of this decision. None. Mark my words. Apple has begun it's decline when it comes to quality, which was the only reason to EVER buy one of their machines.

19. Mikel
    Thumb Up

I like my Sammy gear

Got quite a bit of it too.

20. wraith404

Apple Is tired of copying the form factor of a single screen, they want to steal the factor of another and claim originality over that ratio as well. Faggots.

21. wraith404
    Stop

Apple blows chuncks.

22. wraith404
    FAIL

Tired of copying rectangles, Tim now wants to copy obtuse rectangles.

23. wraith404
    FAIL

Fagalicious. Just like Apples customers, and people who felatio steves necrotic pole.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like