back to article Vague data retention proposal draws IIA ire and friendly fire

The vagueness of the Australian government discussion paper for “potential reforms of National Security legislation” is becoming the focus of the country’s data retention debate. On Friday, September 14, Senator John Faulkner, a member of the joint parliamentary committee conducting hearings into the proposals, expressed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Thorne
    Black Helicopters

Once the data is stored, how long until that data is automatically processed and handed over?

Visit "The Pirate Bay" and the Gestapo kick your door in that night and drag you away

2. -tim
    WTF?

How long do we keep mistakes?

Do you know how full of real data that meta-data will be?

Take a look at email addresses. Do you know how many people have an email address like 411...111@gmail or go to www.some_thing_private.site.com? I don't know if they are accidents or not but if you run something like Card Recon on your web, email or dns logs, it will find credit card numbers for any large organization.

Hackers don't care if your card database is encrypted, they can just grab the "name on field" or "telephone" number and find plenty of valid card numbers unless they are scrubbed.

3. Jason Tan
    Thumb Down

No no no.

Don't want.

The govt has the laws it needs now to get our data.

If they suspect us of a crime they go to a court and ask for a warrant, present to the carriage provider and the carriage provider provides the data - as well as the meta data.

This is the exact same as requiring couriers and Australia Post to photo copy/scan every document and photograph the contents of every package they carry and retain hte images for however long.

No No no.

I think I might become a politcal refugee if this goes forward.

From the Universal Declaration of HUman Rights:

http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/index.shtml

"Article 12.

No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon his honour and reputation. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks."

Roxon: right let's just keep all the data!

Sounds pretty arbitary to me.

No no no.

Forever no.

4. JT163

I'd rather be terrorised

In fact let me make my position really clear.

I'd rather suffer the occasional terrorist attack than have my communications monitored.

I can see exactly one implementation of this scheme I could accept.

That is the carriers collect the data and had it over to a well funded statutory body t hold - who will not release it without a warrant/court order.

Of course that body would need to be really well funded, because I am positive the feds would be able to subvert or crack it otherwise.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like