back to article BlackBerry network goes titsup inopportunely AGAIN

RIM's BlackBerry network is down again, disconnecting users in Europe, the Middle East and Africa, but that won't come as a surprise to the socially connected. The outage started around 09.00 this morning, RIM reckons it's only affecting "some users" but the mailbox here at Vulture Central is filling up with (sadly resigned) …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James 51

Mine seems to be working fine.

2. ElNumbre
    Flame

BES on Vodafone

Our BES and handsets on the Voda network have all gone for an early session down the pub. About 400 handsets. Voda's forum message was basically shout at RIM, their fault.

However, we don't have RIM account managers, we have telco account managers, so they are the ones getting a hot ear.

Today would be a good day to launch a competing phone...

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: BES on Vodafone

"....Today would be a good day to launch a competing phone..." Well, first it would have to be able to actually compete with the BES/BB combo, and the iPhone just can't.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

it is now

our corporate network lost it about 7ish and came back around 11:30

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Also BES on Vodafone

Users around Europe and Africa, but all seems to be up since 12:15 again (WET)

Stop

Re: Also BES on Vodafone

".....Users around Europe and Africa...." We have BES and Voda across the EMEA and we have had no problems reported, so it can't be all Voda accounts.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is Apple's "BLACK OPS" team at work. They've got no patents to sue RIM with, so they've embedded a saboteur team deep inside RIM, this will be RIM's Waterloo.

6. Mike Judge
    Holmes

Still confused why people

want to send all their communications thru a proprietary server setup, rather than the open and more reliable Internet..

Peados, terrorists or retards, I would guess.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Still confused why people

Judge? Seems about right.

No judge in the land can be taken seriously!

7. Thomas 4

Huh

I haven't received any messages about this and I've been checking my 9360 all day. >.>

8. DJ Smiley
    Devil

... I sent a mp3 to my wife around 9:30am.....

Did I kill their entire network with a single mp3? :D

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"You don't want an iPhone, because.... "

It's last decade tech and last decade OS is absolute wank, which is what people will think of you if your seen withone. W O W why did you buy an inferior phone, for top dollar?

1. NightFox
      Facepalm

Send in the Billy Goats Gruff

It's an article about Blackberry and RIM. Go spew your hatred elsewhere, I'm sure there are plenty of iPhone-related threads bubbling away today just waiting to hear your views.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The fact that RIM had an apparently minor server outage doesn't change the facts that your phone is last-decade tech, your phone's OS is absolute wank, and that when people see you with it they think, "Wanker." So what's your point?

(Apologies to the other grown-ups on this thread for feeding the troll, couldn't help it, sorry :p)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I guess your phone is an Android phone?

Android is Linux based and the kernel was started in the early 90s. So quite a few decades old in terms of technology.

Both Android and OSX have similar Unix underpinnings. So neither is particularly modern, Unix is tried and tested solid technology but about 43 years old.

10. Captain Scarlet Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Subscribe to twitter feeds

Well they'll hardly send out a BBM or email to all their affected users will they.

Will they?

1. This Side Up
      Devil

Re: Subscribe to twitter feeds

What happens when the spewing news feeds go down?

11. RonWheeler

We have hundreds on several networks/sites and none have gone down

No arguing there is an issue, but I doubt the problem is a widespread as the twitterati make out. I'd still be annoyed if it affected me though.

12. Mandoscottie
    Thumb Up

out of 20 BBs we had 1 go down....had to be our site director too! ;)

13. Richard 120

I'm not affected

My service has already been fucked up for the last week by Vodafone

14. Simon Redding
    Flame

We're all out and have been all day

The majority of our 3,000 (yes, three thousand) handsets are failing to send, and are having really bad delays receiving incoming mail. They won't look up numbers off the BES either. I wonder if I can find an alternative use for mine?

Boffin

Re: We're all out and have been all day

".....They won't look up numbers off the BES either...." Hmmmm, that sounds more like a problem with your BES rather than the BB servers.

15. reesh

nothing much to see

down this morning barring a brief spurt around 11am. Then all back to normal at 12.50.

Bit of a non-event

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Really?

My iPhone was still working...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Really?

git :P

2. James 100
      FAIL

Re: Really?

That's RIM's problem, really: there simply cannot be an "iPhone outage", nor an "Android outage", because those are standalone devices rather than reliant on RIM servers keeping on ticking.

Even if Apple and Google somehow folded tomorrow and had all their servers wheeled away by repo men, my handset would carry on for now - yes, I'd be stuck for security updates, support etc, but my email and web access would be totally unaffected. If RIM's servers go dark, though, so do the handsets.

From an infosec perspective, I find people's enthusiasm for getting their mail via an encrypted link to a third-party server that makes an encrypted connection to their mail server, rather than having a direct encrypted link to the mail, depressing. Neat hack to achieve push with low power consumption, sure, but what happens when that extra point of failure fails?

17. This post has been deleted by its author

18. Chris007

Looks like users are always getting a good RIMming.

The post is required, and must contain letters.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like