back to article New vicious UEFI bootkit vuln found for Windows 8

Security researchers have discovered security shortcomings in Windows 8 that create a means to infect the upcoming operating system with rootkit-style malware. Italian security consultants ITSEC discovered the security hole following an analysis of the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI), a successor to the legacy …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bob Vistakin
    Facepalm

Some things never change

That is all

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Re: Some things never change

"Some things never change " like the Captain f***ing Pugwash theme for all Reg sub heads this week. It's almost as bad as the obsessive compulsive "!" after every f***ing word in the title of an article referring to Yahoo.

Give it a rest, please, we're bored.

1. John G Imrie

Today is International Talk like a Pirate Day

2. Miek
        Linux

@Ledswinger

Not enough coffee or too much?

3. TheRealRoland

I think he needs a hug! Come here, you scamp!

<Ruffles hair>

1. Anonymous Coward
          Windows

"I think he needs a hug! Come here, you scamp!"

There's a poster that doesn't know me, and my impressively low personal hygiene standards.

But evidently "we're bored" was incorrect on my part. I'm f***ing bored of the "a'ha, me hearties" s****. Is everybody happy now?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Why don't you just avoid reading them then aaron?

2. DutchP
    Coat

Obviously this is on purpose

so SecureBoot must be enabled and it becomes that much harder to run Linux.

<- mine's the one with the conspiracy theory in the inside pocket

1. Ru
      Pirate

Re: Obviously this is on purpose

Does make quite a good false flag operation, does it?

2. HMB

If you can't manage to go into your BIOS and change the secure boot to 'custom' or 'off', it really is best that you don't attempt to install Linux anyway.

There are around 2 billion computer users in the world. Around 1.8 billion Windows users would benefit from secure boot by eliminating traditional rootkits. It will slightly inconvenience 40 million, for the sake of 1.8 billion. Stop being so selfish.

(I'm having a competition for downvotes with this message so don't feel shy if you want to knee jerk)

1. Ben Tasker

If you can't manage to go into your BIOS and change the secure boot to 'custom' or 'off', it really is best that you don't attempt to install Linux anyway.

On the face of it you're correct, except that the BIOS doesn't have to have an off switch. Bit of a bugger then if you get a machine and find you can't turn it off.

I'd be happy with them mandating an off-switch (whether hardware or software) personally, but others obviously differ on this one!

1. h4rm0ny

"On the face of it you're correct, except that the BIOS doesn't have to have an off switch. Bit of a bugger then if you get a machine and find you can't turn it off."

You're in luck. Microsoft have required manufacturers to allow a physically present user to turn off Secure Boot on any x86 system. It's part of the specification that has to be met in order to receive a Windows 8 sticker.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Steve Renouf
      FAIL

Yes! I've! Just! Been Caught! OUT! by This! F%^cking! Madness!

Sorry about that - just couldn't resist annoying all those posters that are "F^&cking pissed off with every headline concerning Yahoo!"

Erhum.... Getting back on subject...

I've just been caught out by this unawares on my new Asus laptop (to replace my HP laptop that "fried" due to the well known design flaw. Upon trying to boo from the USB universal recovery stick (Yum, Ubuntu Live, etc.) only to discover that it no longer worked. I discovered that the laptop had all thie Uefi/MS lock (sorry, Secure Boot) crap on it - AFTER I had already added all my applications to the installation! I am now in the midst of the long drawn-out process of imaging the partitions to convert the primary drive to MBR so I can get back to normal and finish my multi-boot setup!

F^&^cking Microsoft! Grrrrr.......

4. Fatman

It is Microsoft's way of "enhancing its partners offerings"; by making sure that competing O/Ses are locked out, and that it will be difficult to install alternatives, or to upgrade the installed O/S.

It all boils down to this:

do we trust the OEMs to make it convenient for end users to

a) install their own keys for either alternative O/S installs (assuming the end user wants a "Secure Boot" experience), or

b) to allow to the end user to install keys for upgrades to the existing O/S

The reason why I mentioned "b)" is that without that capability, your desktop becomes essentially a "brick", and in order to upgrade the O/S, you may have to buy new hardware, and we all know that makes M$' hardware partners very happy. They must look at the cell phone market with envy - just look at all of those ilemmings who go out and splurge hard earned cash on the newest Jesus phone. Those greedy bastards (OEMs) want their share too!!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

It gets worse...

If you can load something nasty at the UEFI level, the OS doesn't matter, Linux, W8, whatever... also current Virus/Malware scanners stand no chance of detecting it.

4. GrumpyJoe
    FAIL

How long have they been designing this system?

And they STILL couldn't get it right. Jesus.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: How long have they been designing this system?

Who is they? Is UEFI MS-only, surely not?

2. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge
      Alien

Re: How long have they been designing this system?

So how long have you been designing this Faster-Than-Light drive? And you still can't get it working? Fucking pathetic!

5. Jeff 8

Local Admin rights

This looked as though the command line had to be run as an administrator. If you take away the admin rights in the first place, your users should be fine right?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Local Admin rights

I think that was just because he was starting service, for which you need to be an administrator (usually.)

However I'm not sure where the problem is, is it a UEFI (ie: non-MS) or a Windows (ie: MS) problem? The whole point of UEFI is that if the OS has been compromised, it shouldn't allow it to load, so even if Windows allows its system files to be replaced, UEFI secureboot shouldn't let it boot.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

We told you so

Secure boot was only ever about trying to stop Linux and introduce TPM style DRM and nothing to do with stopping nasties.

1. Mog0
      FAIL

Re: We told you so

Except if you read the article, Secureboot stops the attack!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

How dare you read the article instead of immediately posting an anti-MS comment!

No The Register 100% Approved Linux Bigot™ badge for you!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

While it may stop that particular nasty, if you think that Microsoft, with all the money they have and time they've had, were really concerned about stopping those nastys I'd have to say your wrong. Microsoft is far more concerned about stopping the usage of Linux on work and home computers. I use Linux Mint (Maya) and I can tell you that it works great, including with online (web delivered) games that my children, ages 5 and 7, enjoy. To recap - Linux works great, the OS doesn't get in your way and it's NOT Microsoft, hhhmmm, Microsoft must kill it. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Microsoft and the UEFI knew about this long ago or even designed it into the software to shut out all other OSs.

1. h4rm0ny

"I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Microsoft and the UEFI knew about this long ago or even designed it into the software to shut out all other OSs."

You have a demonstrated attack that threatens any installed OS (Ubuntu, Windows, BeOS, anything), a countermeasure released by a specifications foundation made up overwhelmingly by hardware manufacturers which protects against it and which can be (and is) used by multiple OS producers (MS, Red Hat, Ubuntu) and somehow this becomes an attempt by MS and "the UEFI" (what the BIOS replacement running on my motherboard?) to shut out all other OS's?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@h4rm0ny - Re: We told you so

Yep, it's a blatant attempt to shut out any unauthorized (by MS) OS. You want the proof ? All those hardware manufacturers under the visionary lead of Microsoft "wink wink" forgot to allow more than one encryption key so Microsoft is the only one who can decide what OS will run on a secure booted hardware.

Oh, and please stop mentioning RedHat and Ubuntu, their OS will run only if their boot loader is signed by Microsoft. As for computer OEMs neutrality, don't bother explaining it.

7. JDX Gold badge
    Flame

still vulnerable to the old attacks if the SecureBoot technology is not turned on by default

So turn it on by default then.

1. Mog0

Re: still vulnerable to the old attacks if the SecureBoot technology is not turned on by default

Which is exactly what Microsoft require for certification and exactly what the Linux fanboys have been complaining about, saying it has no value.

1. Charles 9

Re: still vulnerable to the old attacks if the SecureBoot technology is not turned on by default

Thing is, unlike on tablets, turning it on by default wouldn't be so big a deal...so long as you still have access to the ON/OFF switch!

2. dajames
        Boffin

Which is exactly what Microsoft require for certification and exactly what the Linux fanboys have been complaining about, saying it has no value.

No, what the Linux ... er ... supporters have been saying (more or less) is that a system that can only boot Windows has no value (to them).

The Secure Boot feature of UEFI has the potential to make a PC much more secure (if it is turned on) but it also has the potential to be used to lock the hardware to boot only an OS signed by a particular vendor/distributor. Used sensibly it can provide security without lock-in, used as Microsoft want it provides security only for Microsoft OSes, and for other OSes whose binaries have been signed by Microsoft.

Secure Boot relies on cryptographic keys stored on the motherboard. When Secure Boot is enabled the UEFI firmware will only allow the system to boot from an image that has been signed using one of those keys. It's perfectly possible to design UEFI firmware that allows the user to install new sets of keys with which to verify signatures on different systems -- so if I wanted to run Ubuntu I'd install a key certificate published by Canonical, and so on. No such facility is mandated by the UEFI spec, but at least some UEFI implementations do support it.

There is a concern that malware might be able to add fraudulent certificates to the onboard store, but it would be possible to prevent this by fitting a physical switch that would have to be activated to enable certificate installation.

What some Linux vendors are actually doing is to provide their own bootloader which will be signed using Microsoft's keys (for which Microsoft will doubtless make a charge) and making that bootloader responsible for checking the signatures on the OS kernel that it subsequently loads. That's a bit simpler for the end user to deal with, but does mean that MS get paid a fee for the ability to run a non-MS OS.

1. h4rm0ny

"and for other OSes whose binaries have been signed by Microsoft."

This part is wrong and the rest of your post follows from it. Red Hat asked MS to provide them a key because MS offered it cheaper than Red Hat could do it themselves. There's no requirement that a key be provided by Microsoft.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@h4rm0ny - Re: still vulnerable to the old attacks...

Now it's your turn to be wrong. Microsoft does not provide a key, Red Hat asked Microsoft to sign its boot loader with MS key. Reason is simple, you can not have multiple keys in UEFI. You will have either Microsoft key or your key (in case hardware manufacturer allows you to change it)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But if it's turned on by default that means that MS are anti-foss and want to kill every other OS, it's nothing to do with security, just market domination, etc. etc. etc.

3. jason 7
      Childcatcher

And while they are at it, turn on DEP/ASLR/SEHOP for everything too as default.

Oh and mandatory password for Admin accounts as default too.

Then that's most of it.

It's all there just MS always wimps out from turning all the security on.

8. georgeclooneylookalike
    Pirate

Does that mean...

I can install a penguin based OS on a "Built for Windos" machine?

1. h4rm0ny

Re: Does that mean...

"I can install a penguin based OS on a "Built for Windos" machine?"

Your question shows a misunderstanding. UEFI is not Secure Boot. Secure Boot is a feature of UEFI. And Secure Boot actually prevents this attack so this is not an exploit that would allow you to bypass it and install a Linux bootloader. But your question is also a red herring as you already could if it's an x86 machine. Microsoft certification requires that the user be able to turn off Secure Boot which is all you need. On RT platforms you cannot turn off Secure Boot, but this isn't a work around for Secure Boot anyway, so it wont let you install an ARM Linux on a WinRT device.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Colour me astonished

So Secure Boot is not secure when it is not enabled. Who knew?

1. hplasm
      Pirate

Re: Colour me astonished

Arr! It be Pirate Boots then!

10. Miek
    Linux

"The UEFI boot loader developed by Allievi overwrites the legitimate Windows 8 UEFI bootloader, bypassing security defences in the process." -- AKA, support for linux

11. William Boyle
    FAIL

Just how long before...

Just how long before some enterprising malware writer can fake a bootloader certificate? My guess is that if it hasn't been done (certainly by the NSA or other government spyware organizations already), it will be soon.

1. Spearchucker Jones

Re: Just how long before...

Faking any cert is easy. I've got.NET code on my hard drive that'll create any EV cert you like. The trick will be in faking the verification. A better question to ask will be whether verification can be faked in a sandbox.

12. HippyFreetard

Could this root a tablet?

I'm interested - not exactly sure how UEFI works yet, but does this mean:-

a. An UEFI enabled Windows PC could be "rooted" legitimately to enable a dual-boot?

b. A MS tablet with enforced UEFI could be legitimately rooted to enable an Android or Ubuntu install?

Also, is this exploit open source?

And before I forget, "Yaarr!"

1. What??
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: Could this root a tablet?

From reading the different specs, for the vast majority of Win 8 PCs, it will be possible to enable a dual-boot. As someone else already said, SUSE, RedHat, and Ubuntu all showed a working implementation of booting a PC with Secure Boot fully enabled.

As for turning off Secure Boot, the average Linux user can easily do that on just about any Win 8 Certified system. It was pretty clear from the early Win 8 development flame wars that Microsoft has no interest in using THIS to kill Linux.

It appears the WinRT ARM Tablets (and notebooks) will be extremely difficult to create a dual-boot version in the field, but then their hardware is are pretty different from the current Android tablets. I guess if you spent the time on creating a working Android, you might be able to figure out how to get it installed on a system.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You are kidding about Microsoft having no interest in killing Linux, aren't you?

1. Charles 9

He's simply said Microsoft isn't interested in using Secure Boot to kill Linux. It would tick off too many people and be crossing a legal line in Microsoft's case since they don't own the UEFI code. That's why the PC versions require an ON/OFF switch, to show that Microsoft isn't coercing the OEMs. The tablets are another story because that is supposed to be a total-package solution that requires end-to-end protection. Different rules.

13. Mog0
    WTF?

This article is complete crap

Basically what it says is that the new security in Windows 8 can be bypassed unless the new security feature, i.e. secureboot, is turned on.

Well blow me, if you turn off the security feature that is designed to stop bootloaders then you can load a bootloader!!!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not again!

So when Microsoft after a decade of trial and error finally gets it right about security, they hand it over to a bunch of people who have no clue about security and best coding practice in general, the BIOS and firmware makers. I'm having a bit of hard time figuring out who are the real Muppets here.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pirate

Re: Not again!

Is it the one on your right hand? Or left hand? Or both hands?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

AC: Not again!

Has Microsoft only been trying to secure their OS since 2002? Seems to me XP was a great improvement over earlier attempts, even as flawed as it was.

15. Mikey

Hmm, so if I'm reading this correctly... it actually seems to me that using the UEFI kit means that you can easily bypass all the much touted security in a linux install, as most won't run with SecureBoot (?). So what will the FOSS crowd do now?

Oddly, blaming MS for this feels a bit off. Given that it's designed to make a system more secure, why would anyone want to disable it? I'm not sure why the linux crews can't actually bite the bullet on this one and use the functionality present, as surely that would make everything even more secure.

My guess is that as it's a Microsoft requested feature, it MUST be evil. Right?

1. Adair Silver badge

Um, no, actually...

Unfortunately I'm not exactly the best qualified to answer this, but here goes.

As I understand it the problem is basically MS hijacking the territory re secure boot, and demanding that OEMs implement UEFI by default, without any obligation to give other OS providers an automatic right to be able to have their own keys for authentication by the UEFI system, i.e. everybody has to go cap in hand to MS.

Ubuntu and Redhat have already sorted a deal with MS, but everyone else will have to have UEFI disabled.

Anyone else is welcome to correct the above.

1. h4rm0ny

Re: Um, no, actually...

"Unfortunately I'm not exactly the best qualified to answer this, but here goes."

Just thinking that puts you ahead of a lot of posters here. ;)

"As I understand it the problem is basically MS hijacking the territory re secure boot, and demanding that OEMs implement UEFI by default, without any obligation to give other OS providers an automatic right to be able to have their own keys for authentication by the UEFI system, i.e. everybody has to go cap in hand to MS.

This is incorrect. You don't have to get a certificate from MS to have a signed boot loader. Indeed, you don't actually need a signed boot loader just because a device is UEFI, only if it's using Secure Boot which is a feature of UEFI that can be turned on or off by the device manufacturer and usually by the user also. (And note, UEFI is not the property of Microsoft. It's the new BIOS). You can get a signature from a number of places or even do it all yourself if you want to. Red Hat bought a certificate for their boot loader from Microsoft because MS had the infrastructure in place and were cheapest. They could have done it themselves but this would have cost them a lot more. They're actually saving themselves money by buying what they need from Microsoft.

"Ubuntu and Redhat have already sorted a deal with MS, but everyone else will have to have UEFI disabled."

Point of clarification: not UEFI disabled, but Secure Boot disabled. Think of it like turning off AHCI in the BIOS, with UEFI being the BIOS. Note, MS require any x86 devices to allow disabling of Secure Boot as part of their certification process, so signatures wont be needed except for ARM devices which makes them similar to things like the iPad.

"Anyone else is welcome to correct the above."

Likewise, if I've got anything wrong in *my* explanation, someone do my post the same courtesy.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@h4rm0ny - Re: Um, no, actually...

There are things that need some correction here.

Red hat did not buy a certificate, they paid Microsoft to sign the RH boot loader with MS key. Don't you find it weird that you can provide your own keys without any problem but Red Hat couldn't ? As for the infrastructure, the same way got their key certified, Red Hat could do it too but it wouldn't help Linux users. The real problem is that hardware manufacturers can load only one key by default which so far happens to be Microsoft key (surprised ?). Besides that, due to the "special" bond between computer OEMs and Microsoft, all computer manufacturers will camp outside Microsoft's door waiting in line to get the keys to Windows garden, Red Hat will have to beg each manufacturer individually to load their key on their systems. Now knowing how Microsoft is pricing Windows licenses according to the volume of computers sold with non-Windows OS (remember, only one key allowed), I doubt hardware manufacturers will be very cooperative. See it's not that difficult when you know the history of Microsoft!

2. Fatman
        Pint

Re: Um, no, actually...everybody has to go cap in hand to MS.

Buy this man a case of beer!!!!

Why, you may ask?

He understands the problem, and the nefarious schemes M$ has "up its sleeve"

Allow me to highlight the relevant portions of his comment:

As I understand it the problem is basically MS hijacking the territory re secure boot, and demanding that OEMs implement UEFI by default, without any obligation to give other OS providers an automatic right to be able to have their own keys for authentication by the UEFI system, i.e. everybody has to go cap in hand to MS.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I see all the MS fans have come out on this one. Expressing their support for their favourite software company holding the entire PC manufacturing industry to ransom with the "if your UEFI systems don't do secure boot, you can't have a 'Certified for Windows' badge for them" and therefore will have difficulty selling your systems in competition with all those who comply with our blackmail.

1. W.O.Frobozz

You're assuming these "fans" are even human beings and not paid PR shills. I'm sure their boss "Steve Barkto" has them all on his credit card again.

2. h4rm0ny

You are seemingly unaware that both Red Hat and Ubuntu also use Secure Boot. It's a security feature that is not limited to MS and there's no "holding the entire PC manufacturing industry to ransom". They have mandated that Secure Boot can be disabled on any x86 device thus enabling any OS manufacturer to take advantage of this security feature. Is that what you're angry about?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"MS have mandated that Secure Boot can be disabled on any x86 device "

And what have they (MS) mandated for any non-x86 device (Windows RT or whatever the name is today)?

Why the difference?

1. h4rm0ny

Re: "MS have mandated that Secure Boot can be disabled on any x86 device "

"And what have they (MS) mandated for any non-x86 device (Windows RT or whatever the name is today)? Why the difference?"

Why are you asking questions that have already been answered several times? As you perfectly well know, WinRT devices come with Secure Boot turned on and not configurable by the user (as far as I'm aware). Presumably the difference is because MS want to sell these things as a complete hardware+software solution, like the iPad. It's a shame. Hopefully they will be forced to change this and allow keys from other OS's to be installed.

17. Old Painless
    Go

Don't worry about it....

at some point soon,having a Windows sticker on the box is going to start putting people off,at which point the OeMs will tell microsoft to shove its blatant bully boy tactics up its huge leaden arse. .Then we can all skip and sing and hold hands etc : )

1. Anonymous Coward
      Windows

Re: Don't worry about it....

I wouldn't hold your breath.......

1. jason 7

Re: Don't worry about it....

Indeed, is that John Lennon's 'Imagine' I hear playing in the background.

Some IT folks really have the perceptive abilities of a 6 year old.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How is it a vulnerability of the OS...

...if you replace the bootstrap?

And this sounds like _exactly_ what Secure Boot was designed for, surely?

1. kain preacher

Re: How is it a vulnerability of the OS...

Only works if you turn it on. It's like complaining that you car alarm does not work cause it's turned off.

19. Kev99 Silver badge
    FAIL

One more reason for everyone to follow Microsoft "to the Cloud!".

20. TheTallGuy
    Black Helicopters

So switched off mechanisms don't work? this isn't a windows 8 problem beyond people turning off secure boot against all the warnings, why would someone running a Win8 box do this, only folks running other OSes would do this and then how exactly is it microsoft's fault if you get stung? Distros that don't get a way of preventing the bootloader being changed are surely opening their users to unacceptable risk., if the hardware supports it it's almost criminal not to do so too, even if MS proposed parts of it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Severe disconnection between two brain hemispheres

Normally, an OS can not allow and at the same time prevent modifying the boot-loader. This is possible only if OS is not under your control a.k.a. DRM. Why would you pay for an OS that does not trust you ?

Folks running other OS do not want to disable secure boot but in detailing the specs, Microsoft had no objection to UEFI storing and using one single encryption key (Microsoft's one, of course) so those folks have to disable secure boot if they want to run other OS than the one Microsoft dictates (f.y.i. including older or not authorized versions of Windows).

1. h4rm0ny

Re: Severe disconnection between two brain hemispheres

"Why would you pay for an OS that does not trust you ?"

Because malware operates on the principle that the OS cannot tell the difference between "you" telling it something and the malware telling it something. You don't complain about the OS not trusting you if the hash of a downloaded program doesn't match what it's supposed to be, so why are you complaining about the fingerprint of the boot loader not matching what it's supposed to be? Its not any more the OS not trusting you than your virus scanner checking a program you are installing.

"Folks running other OS do not want to disable secure boot but in detailing the specs, Microsoft had no objection to UEFI storing and using one single encryption key (Microsoft's one, of course) so those folks have to disable secure boot if they want to run other OS than the one Microsoft dictates (f.y.i. including older or not authorized versions of Windows)."

Microsoft also had no objection to people storing more than one single encryption key (they are already selling keys to Red Hat for a small fee and Red Hat could do it themselves if they wanted). Besides, what is wrong with turning off the security feature if you don't want it? It's no more difficult than turning off your virus scanner if you don't want it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@h4rm0ny - Re: Severe disconnection between two brain hemispheres

You're being largely misinformed here. Microsoft is not selling keys, they are signing boot loaders with their own key so there is still one single key being used, Microsoft key. Please stop spreading incorrect information.

1. h4rm0ny

Re: @h4rm0ny - Severe disconnection between two brain hemispheres

"You're being largely misinformed here. Microsoft is not selling keys, they are signing boot loaders with their own key so there is still one single key being used, Microsoft key. Please stop spreading incorrect information."

There was no intent to cause any confusion. The signature used to verify a boot loader or OS by UEFI is called a "platform key". The service Microsoft are providing is to sign and include Red Hat's platform keys. So the statement is correct. Red Hat's VP Tim Burke uses the same terminology I do in their press release: Microsoft will provide keys for Windows and Red Hat will provide keys for Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Fedora".

There are multiple keys. I wasn't clear in what I wrote, though. Sorry about that - unintentional.

2. h4rm0ny

Re: @h4rm0ny - Severe disconnection between two brain hemispheres

I've gone back and read my original post. I did write "selling keys to Red Hat". Badly put - I should have written signing the keys Red Hat provides for a fee. But it's a bit like when you buy a certificate from Verisign for your website. Technically you're actually creating your own key and you're paying them to acknowledge it. Same thing. Anyway, apologies for any confusion. My point and logic is the same, but please substitute in the above terminology.

21. RogerAGrimes

So if I turn off Microsoft's UEFI protection feature, the rootkit gets by?

What "security hole"? This quote says it all: “Our research attempts to show the industry that the new UEFI platform is still as insecure as the old BIOS technology, it's still vulnerable to the old attacks IF the SecureBoot technology is not turned on by default,”

UEFI 2.3.1 requires a mechanism like Secure Boot to be truly useful. So if you enable the security features as designed, then it prevents the malware threats the authors claim to have "discovered".

This is a junk article, for sure, and those “researchers” should be embarrassed.

22. Christian Berger

Now let's imagine this is fixed and Secure Boot is on

The attacker had to have physical access (or root access) to that machine to install it.

Now if he had root access, he could do anything in user-space, regardless of the boot process, so that's not the interesting case.

If he had physical access he could do one of the following:

Install a hardware keylogger/replace the keyboard with a bugged one of the same model

re-flash the service MPU (if it's a good laptop) to log keystrokes.

change the service-mode firmware (x86 code running along with your OS, but with higher privileges)

change the firmware of your north- and south bridge (yes, there are processors in there with full RAM access)

There are many ways to manipulate a system once you have physical access. Secure Boot only pretends to close one of them.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like