back to article Dell sets out Win8 tablet, Ultrabook, all-in-one stall

Dell unveiled its latest business products for the upcoming Windows 8 platform this morning. The firm flaunted its forthcoming tablet, all-in-one and Ultrabook, all of which come with Dell's high-end security protocols for the serious business user. This includes Dell's data protection encryption services and support for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That tablet and keyboard at the bottom are not in an ergonomic position (according to all the stupid pictures I get sent by the person whose job it is to care about such things)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

unless you're a very little person I suppose.

Also I'll never be able to abide by that much clutter on my desktop.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

uninspiring lineup

uninspiring unless prices turn out low, unlikely with the dell focus away from consumer to business where they appear to believe sub-par screens etc. are acceptable.

1. N13L5
      Coffee/keyboard

mouse bios...??

Its very hard to buy Dell computers, even if you want to... I always keep looking at what Dell comes out with, but really, they can't seem to get the mix right.

The XPS13, for example, is an exceptionally well designed little Ultrabook. Nice feel, great looks, light weight, decent keyboard... should easily make it to the top of my list, right? But it comes with a glare screen with lousy resolution for business use. And they don't give you an option for a matte screen with 1600x900 resolution at any price. And as this machine is most of all good for traveling, it should also have a 3G W-WAN option, but nooooo...

We are Dell, we just leave the market for people that need to travel and get work done to Lenovo...

And whats with the AIO machines from every manufacturer...? We are being sold crappy laptop components stuck to the back of a 160 dollar monitor, and suddenly, that's supposed to be worth more than a grand... neat trick!

Usually there's not even a dedicated GPU in that mix and if there is, its some super low end job from 3 years ago. Forget about using CUDA cores to speed up calculations, something you can do on any cheap little mini-ITX based cube computer.

If you got a lot of customers that buy that, can I borrow your rolodex, please? I got bridges to sell...

3. JDX Gold badge

That tablet sounds VERY expensive

128Gb storage... fingerprint reader... could be nice though and seems to hit a spot other tablets don't right now.

4. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    FAIL

1366x768 screens Pah

Useless for real work in this day and age.

These screens are used by the general 'cheapo' laptop brigade. With tablets now coming onto the market with HD screens (1920x1200) then these look decidely old hat. As quoted they are not very thing or light.

This gets a Fail for obvious reasons

1. Captain Save-a-ho
      FAIL

Re: 1366x768 screens Pah

Same goes for the notebook. No notebook should have a "720p" screen. At least with a true HD screen, users could choose to run at small resolutions to make things easier to read (or just increase font sizes, as it were). I was hoping the Latitude ultrabook would be closer to the design of the Asus UX31A-DB71.

Definitely a fail.

5. Pen-y-gors

Metro (or whatever)

What is it about those big bright metro buttons that makes me feel they're best suited to be given to the local playgroup to smear sticky, jammy fingers on, rather than for 'serious business use'. Is this a natural follow-on from the teletubby wallpaper on XP?

6. The New Turtle
    FAIL

"It features a 14in, 1366 x 768 display"

What's that smell? It is the scent of failure.

7. Chezstar
    FAIL

Dell are truly a mystery

So they make beautiful monitors in the Ultrasharp series, and yet they hobble almost every damn laptop of theirs with 1366x768 screens? And even better, the days of being able to choose components such as 3 or 4 different screen types, etc, all seems to have gone in the idea that everyone is borg, so therefore must ALL want the same options.

Honestly, who is making the decisions at Dell these days?

8. Stacy
    Facepalm

How is 1355*768

A highlight?

1. Stacy
      FAIL

Re: How is 1355*768

1366x768 even

Oops :)

9. ACcc
    FAIL

As everyone else said

1366x768? Really? I've got a 3-and-a-half-year-old Sony Netbook with a 10 screen with that resolution and a 7 inch Nexus with 1280x800, both of which came in at sub-£200 (the netbook was second hand)

10. Philippe
    FAIL

Windows 8???

At least highlight the "upgrade to XP" option.

My company will not touch this "not really Ultra"book otherwise.

P

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like