back to article Monster camera preps for dark energy search

Fermilab’s Dark Energy Camera has captured its first images, as a test run for the Dark Energy Survey due to begin in December 2012. The TARDIS-sized, 62-CCD, 570 megapixel camera, mounted on the Victor M. Blanco telescope at the National Science Foundation’s Cerro Tololo Inter-American Observatory (CTIO) in Chile, can shoot …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Graham Marsden
    Coat

"TARDIS-sized"?

Is that outside or inside?!

1. Angry_Sup

Re: "TARDIS-sized"?

Well, it's about the size of a phone box on the outside, and seems to have thousands of galaxies inside...

2. Angry_Sup

Well, it's about the size of a phone box on the outside, and it's got thousands of galaxies on the inside...

1. dlc.usa

Inquiring minds want to know if the down-voter of the second instance also up-voted the first instance. Somehow, that possibility feels somewhat resonant with the subject matter.

2. Martin Huizing
    Thumb Up

great news for sky-watchers!

Any thoughts on universe expansion due to dark matter elongation? Just throwing out ideas here... ;)

1. No, I will not fix your computer
      Boffin

Re: great news for sky-watchers!

As the universe expands, energy density gets less, when it drops below a certain threshold the higher dimensions collapse resulting in dark matter until the energy density is sufficient to shore up the rip, this is the reason why the universe appears to be expanding faster (and where all the mass is). This is another reason why you only find dark matter away from "normal" mass, if normal mass was there the energy density keeps the higher dimentions in place.

3. SMFSubtlety
    Coat

When are Nokia putting this on a phone?

The latest PureView?

4. Alan 6
    Happy

That'll come in handy for the French paparazzi...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Oops.

When I saw "570 MegaPixel" I thought it was going to be (yet) another iPhone 5 story...

6. Lallabalalla
    Angel

Good luck with that

One word - phlogiston

1. Swarthy
      Thumb Up

Re: Good luck with that

I see your phlogiston and raise you luminiferous æther.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Here you go....

Apple will then use the images to sue other galaxies for rounded corners and other worlds for using iphone like icons on their devices.

Enjoy!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Image problems

I'd take away that grill from in front of the camera if I were you!

This topic is closed for new posts.