back to article iPhone 5 tops benchmark chart

Apple's upcoming iPhone 5 is one of the fastest ARM devices out there, beating even the Asus-made Google Nexus 7, if benchmark data posted online are to be believed. An entry in the Geekbench database spotted this weekend - the figures were uploaded yesterday - shows the new handset clocking up a score of 1601. The readout …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JDX Gold badge

Poor haters

"nothing new", "not comparable with Android phones", etc.

I'm not an iPhone lover but it seems getting a damn fast phone into a damn thin case with improved battery life makes for a pretty competitive device.

If it's real of course.

1. Timmay
      Flame

Re: Poor haters

But it isn't anything new - there *are* other phones out there, ignoring whatever OS is on them, because it seems mentioning "Android" suddenly polarises people (oops), which achieve virtually equal performance, equally good battery performance, in equally slim designs, but they've been on sale for months.

Like you, I'm not an iPhone lover, but neither am I knocking the new one - good design, bulletproof build quality, good innards, but let's stop calling the thing technologically special, let alone revolutionary.

2. Shagbag

NEWS FLASH!

New hardware is faster than old hardware.

That's right. And you read it here first on El Reg.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Real scores

Posted after the device is released to the masses.

Anything released beforehand is taken with a pinch of salt.

2. Michael Jennings

The yearly cycle.

The year's flagship Android phones seem to come out in the spring and summer, and the iPhone now seems to be released in September or October. Therefore there is a period of about three months of the year in which the iPhone lags badly in terms of hardware capabilities. Then the iPhone catches up, as it has here.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The yearly cycle.

The only "cycle" that matters is that of ARM who create the CPU core design. It is this processor that is the important factor.

Do you really think ARM release a new design every year to the day just so Samsung or whoever can release a new handset?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The yearly cycle.

Except it hasn't caught up, the S3 is scoring 1,800 to 2,000 odd and was released back in May.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=galaxy+s+iii

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Thumb Down

An extra 221 points with a new OS? Well, possibly.

Depends very much on the benchmarking but a change in the compiler which turned on bits of hardware could easily do that. This is why Intel is still in the compiler business.

But the comparison is spectacularly underwhelming given the predominance of FPU calculations. What do we use those for on hours (on a daily basis)?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It can also be down to a kernel sub-system getting an overhaul. To take an Apple example, they garnered a considerable improvement when one of the original authors of the virtual memory sub-system pointed out a potential improvement that had been overlooked. (This stemmed from unfinished work years before on the Mach kernel that had been absorbed into NeXTSTEP before it was reworked as the basis of Mac OS X).

A more Linux related example would be a switch in the behaviour of the scheduler, since there is often a trade off between optimal scheduling of server versus desktop related processes. This was the root of a kerfuffle in the Linux world a few years back, when the scheduler was more optimal for server stuff and an alternative scheduler was made available. The actual kerfuffle was down to Linus Torvalds refusing to make it easier for schedulers to be "pluggable" in the mainstream sources.

1. DrXym

Jelly Bean was a performance release in part (Project Butter) so it wouldn't surprise me if they went in and did tune the scheduler and filesystem in some ways that yielded extra points in a benchmark.

1. Annihilator
          Boffin

Or, cynically...

Jelly Bean was tuned towards these benchmarks? Hardly unheard of in the computing industry.

1. DrXym

Re: Or, cynically...

No, I mean Jelly Bean was specifically a performance release and certain performance improvements may have been obtained from tuning the kernel or supporting the latest chipsets. It's also possible that Samsung in moving to Jelly Bean benefited from better multi core support, or the manner in which power stepping was done, cores were idling or whatever. Of course that sort of thing would show up in a benchmark without specifically being done for the benefit of the benchmark.

4. EddieD

Not too surprising

We have an O/S tuned to optimally use the specific chipset, versus an o/s that is written for a broad spectrum of hardware, and the optimised version turns out to be faster.

My Lumia 800 appears to be very sprightly, inspite of the somewhat lackluster processor - it's heavily optimised.

iPhones /always/ appear snappy - Apple are good optimisers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not too surprising

Yes, the Lumia is fast. Faster than my iPhone 4 was. But I found that after upgrading firmware the iPhone always seemed fast for a few months then slowed down. I don't know if this was log files or crash dumps from Apps filling the phone up, but it was pretty annoying.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Not too surprising

I noticed the gradual slowdown between updates on my iPhone 3GS as well. Put me in mind of the Verity Stob article about the ages of a Windows installation - although in that case updates just made things even slower ...

5. David Simpson 1
    FAIL

Anyone would think apps Geekbench worked identically acorss platforms and didn't give totally strange results on different platform.

1. HMB
      Go

Bang on.

Same program + Different hardware = Fair test

Different program + Different hardware = WTF?

Science people!! Change ONE variable.

Critical thinking for the win!

1. Si 1

How does the benchmark differ between platforms? Surely it's not much use as a benchmark if it doesn't perform the same tests on both? I've never used it so I've no idea why it's not able to produce a comparable result.

That said, it doesn't look like a very reliable benchmark, half the Galaxy SIII results show the devices have 0KB in cache and the number of cores varies all over the place, with many showing 1 or 3 cores! There are also lots of overclocked SIIIs with scores the same as or lower than stock SIIIs which makes me wonder if people are somehow overclocking during the benchmark and then scaling back to stock when it reads the clock speed... (http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/chart?q=model%3A%22Samsung+Galaxy+S+III%22+platform%3A%22Android%22+architecture%3AARM+bits%3A32+)

I also question the validity of a benchmark that doesn't appear to test the GPU's performance. Given that both iOS and Android accelerate the UI using the GPU it would make sense to take GPU performance into account. Also, looking at the benchmark it tests things like image blur and image compress using the CPU, which are tasks more suited to using the GPU.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm sceptical as to the authenticity of this, until they are out in the wild I will assume their not real.

Also according to the article the S3 with JB is quite a bit faster, Samsung should push out JB and then advertise it just as the iPhone is made available..

Galaxy S3, faster than the iPhone :-D

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Given the amount of crap...

Coming in our direction from SS re: JB, it won't be long...but it does take time to port each new version of Android to a SS phone - Touchwiz is the culprit.

2. Frank Bough
      FAIL

fanboy

= invalid argument

7. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Reality Distortion Field?

One has to wonder how the members of the fruity cult have arrived to a figure of 1560 for the S3. Checking the shipping S3 devices benchmarks, most are way above that. Of course, it wouldn't look as good as saying that a single iYawn5 benchmark of an unreleased device was better than some S3 benchmarks, and much worse than many. It might dent the RDF...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is an Apple and this is a Pear. They are both fruit. One is bigger than the other.

9. Mr. Great Sage
    FAIL

Why compare to older hardware?

"Compare that to the Nexus 7's score of 1591 and the Asus Transformer Prime TF201's 1497, and the iPhone 5 result, if genuine, shows the handset beating tablets."

Asus Transformer Infinity TF700 -

2041 http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1036825 Asus Infinity

Are we trying to sell a point that doesn't exist by comparing it to old hardware? The S3 has scores ranging from 1500's to 2052.

10. DEAD4EVER
    Thumb Down

iphone 5 benchmark

wow big deal give it a month or 2 and it will be knocked off the spot buy another tablet or phone so its a piece of crap anyway.

1. Random Coolzip

Re: iphone 5 benchmark

Hell, give it three months and the first software update will take it to its knees!

11. alun phillips
    Megaphone

XDA users that's who

Go over to XDA, and on most sub forums you can find users spending all day everyday whacking out benchmark and obsessing over the results, and how the latest update has them crying because they've lost a 100 points and now their phone is a pile of sh***.

Benchmarks are in essence an indicator of performance nothing more nothing less.

12. 404

Ya'll had to mention it and I HAD to find out... bastards...

;)

Geekbench 2 scores:

Motorola Droid Razr ICS w/Ti OMAP 4430 @ 1.2GHz: 1074 w/everything running.

Acer Iconia A500 Tab ICS w/ Tegra 2 T20 @ 1GHz: 885 from boot.

13. Silverburn
    Happy

Benchmarks = bollox

Does IO6 on iphone5 *feel* fast and smooth? Yes = WIN

Does Jelly bean on an S3 *feel* fast and smooth? Yes = WIN

Does win8 on 920 *feel* fast and smooth? Yes = WIN

Frankly, we should all be grateful the useability can now be taken for granted, regardless of our platform allegance.

Group hugs!

14. reder
    Thumb Down

Flawed

There's no such thing as a reliable benchmark; and GB is the worst of all: they do not describe at all their methodology, nor disclose oner line of source code.

It is a marketing tool to provide the fanboys the reassuring feeling that their overpriced gizmos are faster than no-name greyboxes.

It is merely (on comparable hardware) a measure of the strengh of a compiler on a given subset of instructions.

How can anyone trust or even talk abour it (not mentionning buying it) ?

Take something more real, as Cinebench, you'll get precisely the same number on the same hardware regardless of the OS platform.

1. alun phillips
      FAIL

Re: Flawed

How pointless is that!, I would like a benchmark to reflect the user experience (at least partially) and to disregard the OS which may grind user experience to a halt seems ridiculous to me.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This article seems to have picked its numbers to fit the headline.

'iphone 5 tops benchmarks' but has a lower score than the Galaxy S3....hmmmm....

At least they didn't compare it to the HTC Desire like a certain red top.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like