back to article Apple: Thanks for the iPhone 5s, China, now get to the BACK of the queue

Chinese fanbois will have to rely on grey market imports and dubious online sellers yet again as their country was left off Apple’s list of nations to get the new iPhone 5 next week. The People’s Republic – where more than one billion mobiles are in use and is home to the world’s biggest smartphone market – is hugely important …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Knapman

Eight?

"The eight countries where the iPhone 5 will go on sale first are: the US, the UK, Canada, France, Germany, Australia, Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore"

I'm sure there's a special way of counting that makes that work, but I'm not sure what it is...

1. Khaptain Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Eight?

<<<<<------ "I Love Skippy" embroidered on the back.

Australia is not really a country, so it doesn't count. It's basically a a large open cast mine operated by ex-cons that like to complain about their being too many sharks in the ocean.......

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

I cannot begin to explain the frustration in seeing a figure, double checking it and FORGETTING to change the copy in the rush to get it live.

C.

1. PhilipN Silver badge

The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China is not a country.

This must be what your sub-conscious relied upon to achieve the correct result.

1. MrZoolook
          Coat

The UK is 4 countries, so it still doesn't work.

2. Miek

Can we get the ability to edit our comments some time soon ?

2. Pete 2 Silver badge

And they wonder why piracy is rife?

> Chinese fanbois will now have to wait ... a week after that, or, as usual, months

So the country that churns out all these shiny new toys is unable to buy them, legitimately?

That does NOT sound like a particularly well thought-out policy, as all it would take for the chinese workers to "solve" the problem is to adopt a "one for you - one for me" attitude. Where most of the production does get shipped to the right place, but a few crates happen to get "lost", or don't appear on the computer's inventory.

What did LBJ say about "better to have you enemies inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in?"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: And they wonder why piracy is rife?

More likely that the Chinese authorities will have to approve it for sale, adding their snooping software etc.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

80 per cent aren’t really bothered

while the remaining 20%, some 500 mln, would buy it today, given a chance.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Salve Trade

Do you not understand .... these slaves are sub-human....they do not appreciated such quality!

Slaves because they can only just survive on the pay they get and no more! (Even with the pay latest pay rise)

5. JaitcH

" ... register online the day before with their residence ID"

All this will do is to create an intermediate market where HongKong residents by the latest CrApple and sell it on to CN residents.

What of Foreigners in HongKong, they can't buy them either?

And people think Apple is smart?

1. dave 76
      Happy

Re: " ... register online the day before with their residence ID"

was too expensive to buy an iPhone 4S in Sydney so I brought one online from Apple HK and got it delivered to my company office in Hong Kong and one of my collegues sent it on. Got it the next day, no need to queue at the Apple Store and no need to have Resident ID.

6. Burbage
    Headmaster

Caché?

Cachet, surely.

7. fixit_f
    FAIL

That really is quite rude when you think about it. Way to alienate and annoy a massive market Apple!!

1. jai
      FAIL

yes, i'm sure that's the only reason for why China aren't included in the initial round

8. Nifty Silver badge
    Childcatcher

that Nano SIM again...

With the micro SIM, iPhones imported to China could be supplied with a cut down local SIM.

Wonder how it will be with the Nano SIM, where controversy reigns over if current SIMs can ever be adapted.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like