back to article Microsoft urges devs to 'lead Windows 8 app land grab'

Microsoft has urged developers to “lead the land grab” by developing Windows 8 apps ASAP. Developer evangelists Nick Hodge and Andrew Coates told the developer-centric keynote at the Australian incarnation of the company's TechEd conference that the time to write Windows 8 apps is now, before civilians get their hands on the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bob Vistakin
    Linux

Both of them?

Who'll do the chair chucking when it makes Vista look like the pinnacle of marketing excellence by comparison?

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Both of them?

App developers are going to be 95% phone/tablet. Equating W8 on phone/tablet to Vista just makes you look a fool... if anything WP7 was the Vista and W8 is the good version (mobile only).

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cool! Touchdevelop looks a bit like what OnBoardC was on the Palm. I'll be able to code wonky apps on the tube into work. Yay!

1. Tom 7

Yeh but the bloke next to you will own copyright.

or elbow?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Translation

Please, please.... PLEASE.... don't let us be the desktop equivalent of Blackberry.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Translation

I think they are more worried about being the phone equivalent of Blackberry.

Their existing cushion of desktop Windows software ought to have ensured that Windows 8 doesn't bomb on the desktop. (Time will tell. It is a truly dreadful interface and (like Vista before it) will alienate squillion of non-geeks who just want to get a job done.)

Microsoft's problem is that there are blow all apps for this shiny new *phone* OS they've dreamt up. It is not helped by their senior management being in denial about the difficulty they face. Land grab? Really, Microsoft? The term "land grab" refers to the *uncontested* colonisation of an *empty* landscape.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Translation

I'd argue it's alienating, at least polarising, the geeks already; the muggles don't know what they are in for yet.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Jonathan 29

desktop apps

I am sure there will be a lot of touch based games ported from IOS, but Windows 8 (proper os) already has a vast collection of apps. I just can't see why an established windows software development company is going to risk existing revenue and sales by developing a metro tile app and selling it at app store prices. If they price them at desktop levels they will look pretty silly compared to the Android and IOS equivalents.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Colossal sales?

"Doing so, they argued, will ensure apps are there once the hordes arrived, meaning a better chance of colossal sales."

But sales of what? The apps or Windows 8 as a whole (which also includes the sale of developer subscriptions) ?

Why would you want to pay MS in order to have a presence on their marketplace while you can ship your software free of charge if you continue to target the desktop (which is what most people are still using) ?

1. Al Jones

Re: Colossal sales?

Because there simply isn't a marketplace for "pocketmoney" priced apps on the desktop. When was the last time you spent $3 to buy a desktop app?

Nobody really knows if there is actually a market for such apps on the desktop, because the infrastructure to easily charge for them and pay for them hasn't existed up to now. If Microsoft had tried to introduce an App Store before now, there would have been all sorts of claims of anti-trust violations, but now that Apple and Google have made people comfortable with the idea, Microsoft might be able to make a go of it.

The problem, though, is that Apple didn't start with the AppStore, they started with iTunes, and people were used to paying smallish amounts of money to Apple on a regular basis. This has been a problem for Google, because people don't have an existing financial relationship with Google, and they haven't fallen into the habit of paying for apps as easily as iTunes users did. Amazon, users, on the other hand, seem to be more prepared to shell out hard cash for apps, because they've already given Amazon access to their credit cards. Phone Vendors tried unsuccessfully to muscle in on this pitch some years ago, but failed at least in part because users didn't trust them - they were viewed as parasites looking for just another way to dip their grubby hands into our wallets.

Will Microsoft be able to convince most users of Windows to commit to an ongoing financial relationship? XBox users might be used to this, but most Windows users don't have XBox Live accounts. Many homes have a shared family PC - who's going to be responsible for the app-store bills? What proportion of Win8 users will have to sign up for this to make it work?

6. mafoo
    Mushroom

Developers, developers, developers, developers!

Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers!

<fist pump>

<monkey scream>WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coffee/keyboard

Hahahahaha

That picture will live in computing history. My thoughts go to the MS BOB "living room" with the cat lying in a book case or something in that manner.

8. Miek
    Coat

"To prove the point, or maybe to bring it about, Microsoft Australia has established a competition whereby developers who crank out three apps by an unspecified deadline win unspecified goodies." -- A left over Windows 7 Party bag ?

9. Simon Harris
    Meh

"the time to write Windows 8 apps is now"

"ensure apps are there once the hordes arrived, meaning a better chance of colossal sales. First movers, they suggested, will enjoy first mover advantage."

Err... wouldn't it be a good idea then to let more potential app developers get a look at the SDK then?

WinPhone 8 preview SDK limited to established developers

1. Simon Harris
      Facepalm

oops.. I know...

too many 'thens'!

10. Simon Harris
    Alert

owww.. my eyes hurt...

That TouchDevelop site looks ugly!

11. Chika
    Trollface

Give the people what they want?

OK. Give them Windows 7.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

why build apps for an OS no-one will use?

I've been using Win8 since the first public betas and ... okay, the new desktop stuff is speedier and nice but the Metro (or whatever the hell it's called now) interface on a desktop me (even my touch laptop) is a PoS.

For a tablet, maybe, the tiled interface is nice - certainly looks prettier than the cluttered iOS experience - but for day-to-day sat at my desk using Outlook, Word, Photoshop and Chrome (I'm sure IE is getting better and better but I have extensions in Chrome that I like) ... Metro just gets in the way.

I wish Redmond had decided to split the OS ... same underpinnings maybe but give me a choice of installing a Win7-like experience, the hybrid, or the tablet-centric experience rather than forcing me to live in this jarring mish-mash that I didn't choose.

Interestingly... since making Win8 the primary UI on my WinTel machine ... I've upgraded my Mac BookPro to a new shiny one and use OSX more (though still using Office!)

Time will tell if this was a bold and brilliant move, or if they've just blackburied (see what I did there) themselves

13. Morely the IT Guy
    Mushroom

This will be the equivalent...

...of the "land grab" for farmsteads in Antarctica. Sure, there will be a couple of optimistic fools who think W8 apps are going to make them wealthy (it won't) and a lot of kids who think they can code the next "Angry Birds" (they can't), but on the whole, I expect *skilled* independent developers to stay away in droves. After all, why would anyone with two working brain cells code apps for a company who is well-known for stealing intellectual property and then squashing the originators? (No, I don't mean Apple this time.)

1. durbans
      Stop

Re: This will be the equivalent...

Could you provide an example in the last decade of Microsoft "stealing intellectual property and squashing the originators" please?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like