back to article Samsung accused of sex discrimination in China plant

South Korean electronics behemoth Samsung has been hit by fresh allegations of impropriety at one of its manufacturing plants in China, this time involving purported sexual discrimination in its hiring policy. Rights group China Labor Watch (CLW), which has been something of a thorn in the side of the chaebol in recent months …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. andreas koch
    Meh

MMC

molehill/mountain-conversion

The reason for this ad is probably that in the past when they had a mixed workforce they lost 50 sick hours per week due to shagging behind the waste containers and resulting wild spread of Clamydia and yeast infections.

It might also just be some poo-throwing because the brand is in the papares alot lately.

1. The BigYin
      Thumb Down

Re: MMC

And men aren't carriers of Chlamydia or yeast? Or do you mean that the plant turned into some kind of giant lesbian orgy? If your theory was correct, why not advertise like this "Men wanted! Must be able to keep pecker in pants!"

1. andreas koch
        Stop

@ The BigYin - Re: MMC

Well, no, not an orgy at all, sorry to disappoint you there.

They probably found that every guy they hired couldn't keep his thingy out of his fellow workers, even though he said so before (Your idea of hiring chaste men is, maybe, a bit blue eyed?).

A solely female workforce is easier to control (in China), and, most likely, cheaper as well. And not as likely to tribadise about.

I'm not endorsing this attitude, but from a chinese sweatshop point of view this makes economic sense.

Please don't be so very upset about the bad world, Diddums.

1. The BigYin

Re: @ The BigYin - MMC

"Your idea of hiring chaste men is, maybe, a bit blue eyed?"

I see the irony in my statement passed you by. But I still don't see how it is the fault of women if men can't keep their sex drive in check. I rather doubt this was even a problem and the poster is just the result of entrench gender-bias and discrimination.

"A solely female workforce is easier to control (in China), and, most likely, cheaper as well."

Equality of pay is an issue even in Europe; less pay for equal work shouldn't be tolerated. This is something the Chinese will need to address from the inside to a large extent, Europe shouldn't preach to others about something it can't get right itself.

"I'm not endorsing this attitude, but from a chinese sweatshop point of view this makes economic sense."

I see. So as long as we can get cheaper 'phones and t-shirts, we should tolerate it? I hear children are even cheaper, perhaps we should just go back to child labour?

1. andreas koch

@ The BigYin - Re: @ The BigYin - MMC

The BigYin: Saving the world from injustice, one chinese recruitment poster at a time . . .

By the way, you are making wild assumptions.

1. The BigYin
              FAIL

Re: @ The BigYin - @ The BigYin - MMC

"Saving the world from injustice, one [Chinese] recruitment poster at a time . . ."

Ah, I see the point has sailed right past you. I wasn't only commenting about the poster, I was rebutting your misogynistic viewpoint.

And I do excuse me for daring to consider that in the 21st century slavery and indentured servitude should be a thing of the past.

1. andreas koch
                Happy

Re: @ The BigYin - @ The BigYin - MMC

"And I do excuse me for daring to consider that in the 21st century slavery and indentured servitude should be a thing of the past."

It should, but it isn't.

"Ah, I see the point has sailed right past you. I wasn't only commenting about the poster, I was rebutting your misogynistic viewpoint."

And again, you assume.

But nevertheless, have another thumbs-up for being such a good, righteous person. The world would be a better place if you would be a chinese factory owner.

2. Mr Temporary Handle
        Coffee/keyboard

"Men wanted! Must be able to keep pecker in pants!"

I would LOVE to be able to advertise job vacancies along those sort of lines.

'Must be able to refrain from making sexually suggestive remarks and/or advances.'

1. John H Woods Silver badge

'Must be able to refrain from making sexually suggestive remarks and/or advances.'

Surely it's easy enough to start disciplinary proceedings against employees who cannot show their colleagues this simple courtesy?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

They''re going to have to bust an awful lot of ladies too then ;)

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Or must have no scars, and good teeth :P

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Health check fee and dorm room deposit.

So in china you basically have to pay to get a job.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

typical for android

This isn't surprising. The whole android ecosystem is plagued with rampant intolerance and stupidity.

Just look at the comments on this site and you can see a whole load of people who need the help and attention that Scope can give them.

I think most people who got conned into getting an android phone will move to WP8 once it is released and they see the light.

1. mad_dr
      Mushroom

Re: typical for android

Well THAT should generate some interesting replies A/C...

2. Richard Jones 1
      Happy

Would WP8 be for Waste Paper but where does the 8 fit in? I could understand WP H8.

I still cannot understand the dummy phone hoopla, but if someone is so keen to buy one, then at least get one with a sensible price tag not a two or three time the cost mark up.

3. The BigYin
      FAIL

Hello shill! I'm wondering if you are an Apple or MS sub-contractor,

Seeing as Foxconn et al make devices and parts for Apple etc, the "rampant intolerance and stupidity" plagues those ecosystems too. It wasn't that long ago there were threats of mass suicides at Foxconn due to the working conditions. And there are still concerns of health damage caused by working there. The fault is use demanding the latest thing for the cheapest price. Someone must pay and we genuinely don't care who it is, so long as it isn't us. Once China, India etc become affluent enough, we'll simply return to Africa for our slave labour.

"Scope"...sorry, what? Oh, are you saying the disabled shouldn't be allowed to comment on the Internet?

I see, MS sub-contractor it is then. Win8 has a terrific looking UI for a touch device; wouldn't have it if you paid me to. Android (and the device makers) may have faults, but it is currently the least-bad choice.

1. Tom 38
        Mushroom

t wasn't that long ago there were threats of mass suicides at Foxconn due to the working conditions.t wasn't that long ago there were threats of mass suicides at Foxconn due to the working conditions.

I remember it well, 4,000 Foxconn workers up on the roof chanting "48 hr weeks or we jump"…

Or was it 2010, when 14 Foxconn employees (out of 930,000) bought the big ticket? For amateur statisticians out there, that is a rate of 1.5 suicides per 100,000 people for Foxconn, against the national average of 20 suicides per 100,000 people in the general population.

But no, you keep on peddling your red top headline history rewriting. All Foxconn workers get beaten with iPhone prototypes and then jump off tall buildings. Much better story.

4. Gareth 16
      Thumb Up

At least you didn't say move to iOS/Apple.

5. John H Woods Silver badge

"... people who need the help and attention that Scope can give them"

Would you care to say what this means? Second thoughts, don't bother.

6. David Neil
      Trollface

'Swims past'

Your bait is stale

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Or maybe, horrifyingly, some potential Apple buyers will buy WP8 instead :P

5. Wang N Staines

MS shills are in full force.

6. Sarah Davis
    Coat

sounds like like an iRumour

was this rumour started by Apple? With all this petulant BS by Samsung and Apple you expect either one of them to turn round any minute and saying of the other 'you smel of poo' and 'yer mum dresses you funny'

I think if all countries banned the sale of Apple and Samsung products for a month because they're both whiny misbehaved shits, this would make both companies grow up a bit.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Makes sense that these stories involve Apple and Samsung

The activists trying to change China's working conditions don't get much traction unless they can link the labor practices to a big name firm like Nike, Walmart, Apple, or Samsung. No point in saying some brand no one has ever heard of that's only sold in a department store chain in Idaho is being made with slave labor...

7. Miek
    Headmaster

"Sansung accused of gender discrimination" -- Fixed that for you

Sex: Yes please!

1. Miek
      Facepalm

Re: "Sansung accused of gender discrimination" -- Fixed that for you

sansung -- Doh!

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well at least they are Discriminating, they could be disinterested, it''s a start :P

Are they into "feminism" too ...... ;)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like