back to article Google declares success for Kansas City gigabit broadband

After an intensive six-week registration drive, Google is reporting 180 out of a possible 202 districts of Kansas City have signed up for its 1Gb/s fiber network project. "This number has blown us away – and it's not even the final tally," said Google Access general manager Kevin Lo. "We're still processing some final address …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ragequit
    Paris Hilton

Why misery of all places?!

I know it's probably a mixture of backbone access and politics but it wouldn't be my first choice to roll out fiber. Of course there is probably some hidden agenda/catch. Maybe fine print that says Google can packet sniff your connection to enhance your ad experience? Though that's been done before. Still, 70 bucks a year for gigabit service? Where's mine?

1. Tom Maddox Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Why misery of all places?!

The Kansans were all over it the moment they heard the network was intelligently designed.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Why misery of all places?!

But will the network evolve, or do they have to make it in 6 days, deny the existence of any related or previous technology, and document it as a lovingly-leatherbound set of mistranslated rumours?

2. Tom 35

Where's mine

That's the price per month with a 3 year contract here ('upto' 60 cable). It's cheaper then my basic ADSL connection.

1. Ragequit

Re: Where's mine

Yeah the original article about this service correctly states that this is 70/month. Perhaps they were thinking about a contract when they wrote the bit about the pricing.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Where's mine

Yeah but how many cubits on average away from the Ark, sorry, cabinet, is it priced in Shekels or Talents?

Do the Ancient Turks need to provide a (historical) link from a ruined stone hut that looks a bit like a boat to stoners, on top of a hill, far , far away? :P

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

Principally

for the lols of offering a better service than Sprint for a lot less roughly two miles from their global headquarters in the suburb of Overlook Park, which won't be getting this service. Sorry, telecoms executives.

Yes, this is Google coming into their backyard and sticking a finger up right in their face.

They also got some help from the city, but not a huge amount.

2. Shagbag

Innovation outside of Apple

Enough said.

3. tom t
    WTF?

dog year?

Is that in dog year or human year?

4. pcsupport

And what do evil Google get out of this?

1. Comments are attributed to your handle
      Facepalm

Probably some of that devil-spawn money!

2. deadlockvictim

What Google Gets

More Net usage is more (indirect) business for them.

It also puts Google into the hardware and infrastructure business. The next step is to found various ISPs based on this infrastructure and it just adds to Google's presence in the world of the Internet.

Besides, they have the spare cash. Investing in infrastructure may prove to be a sound investment in the decades to come. Think of the value of the telephone networks now.

<shot type="cheap">Has Microsoft announced when it will be rolling out fibre networks</shot>

5. mhenriday
    Pint

A good initiative on the part of Google,

which I suspect will also prove profitable to the bottom line in the not too distant future. One has to admit that the Google leadership once more has demonstrated their ability to think both inside and outside the box...

Henri

6. Ol'Peculier
    Happy

Kansas state

There has to be some reason to live there, possibly the most depressing state I've been to (out of about 20)

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

Re: Kansas state

Well think about ... with that level of bandwidth maybe some kind of immersive virtual reality setup would be possible. Maybe you wouldn't even need to know you're in Kansas?

7. Mikel
    Thumb Up

This is going to be huge

KC is going to kickstart something very interesting.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This is going to be huge

Probably The Rapture :P

8. Mark Dowling

Very differently phrased article on this subject elsewhere:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/10/us/in-one-city-signing-up-for-internet-becomes-a-civic-cause.html?_r=2&smid=tw-share

"in July, Google announced a process in which only those areas where enough residents preregistered and paid a $10 deposit would get the service, Google Fiber. While nearly all of the affluent, mostly white neighborhoods here quickly got enough registrants, a broad swath of black communities lagged."

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like