back to article GoDaddy stopped by massive DDoS attack

A lone hacker has claimed responsibility for an ongoing denial-of-service attack that may have knocked out millions of websites hosted by world's largest domain registrar GoDaddy. The attack began at around 10.00 Pacific time (17.00 GMT/18.00 BST) and appears to affect the registrar's DNS servers. Any site that is hosted with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Prat and a soon to be found and prosecuted prat at that.

1. DaveyG

FBI will have the last Lulz as always. When will these clowns learn.

2. Jelliphiish

whut?

That they're angry at the guy that took them down, is understandable.. but I'd be more pissed at GD for letting it happen..

I'd wondered where grrlpowercomic had gone..

1. Elmer Phud

Re: whut?

The dead elephant is in the room

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: whut?

"I'd be more pissed at GD for letting it happen.."

It's a DDoS, there is no letting it happen, or preventing it as such. Also this "hacker" isn't testing the security of anything, it's testing the bandwidth/resources of the target machines at best.

It's just another pointless exercise making this kid think they're good when in fact, he/she/it is just an idiot costing people a lot of money.

3. djs

Hacker?

Can we stop calling this morons "hackers", please? DDoS is about the intellectual level of letting the air out of car tyres. How about "obnoxious wanker" instead? It even sounds a bit like his handle. Maybe that's what he meant but he just couldn't spell "obnoxious".

1. nuked
      FAIL

Re: Hacker?

Sorry, but taking down nearly 50 million websites for a prolonged period may not be "hacking" - to use a term that you so vigorously defend, but it is not nevertheless equivalent to "letting air out of tyres", which anybody could accomplish.

1. djs

I am not defending the term "hacking". I'm suggesting that the media calling script kiddies "hackers" feeds their egos, and perhaps that is the actual reason they make a nuisance of themselves. Call them what they are.

Taking down a few DNS servers is not a massive challenge, and could be done by more or less anybody for the downloading of a script. Just like letting down car tyres.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Air...

It is if the tire belongs to an airplane and gets the entire airport shut down (and the subsequent flights). So it's kind of like one stupid small act, that has a massive effect. Sadly. :(

2. Naughtyhorse

Absolutely!!!!

it's the equivalent of letting the air out of fifty million tyres, which as you point out is quite a feat :-)

not a go daddy customer, and a bit of a fan of the heffalump, so dont really give a toss

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

you tw*t

3. JDX Gold badge

Really, we're talking about millions of sites taken down, thousands of businesses impacted, and you want to whinge about how we're using the wrong term?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

As he says, it's about ego. He wants to tell people he's a hacker to sound cool. Now lot's of people would think he sounds like an eYob. His use of the term script kiddie is a symptom too - be so quick to dismiss their skills so you look better (in your own eyes,) that you totally miss the enormity of what's happened.

2. ajgraham
        Megaphone

won't somebody think of the children!!!!!!1!!!1!!11111

4. Anonymous Coward
    Go

At least they're /working/ on it

I have several domains registered with GoDaddy and also experienced a massive outage. No fun at all. Fortunately for me most of my domains are already back up again, a few hours after it all happened. I think that's pretty decent knowing how hard it can be to fight off a DDoS.

Quite frankly the way they handle things is proof to me where they put their priorities. My websites are back up, the GoDaddy.com site isn't (at the time of writing); only displays a warning that they're aware of the issues.

For me this translates that they put all their effort on their customers, and will worry about their own stuff at a later time. IMO that suits them.

As to the DDoS... Pretty lame in my book, the work of dumb scriptkiddies who are best ignored. Wouldn't surprise me if the whole thing backfired; common users getting annoyed with anonymous while actually giving GD the benefit of the doubt.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: At least they're /working/ on it

"I have several domains registered with GoDaddy and also experienced a massive outage. No fun at all."

all i can say is hah! and once again, hah!

if you are stupid enough use such a muppet ridden registrar/host, your own damn fault.

Great SysAdmin you are.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@AC

What can I say... "It just works".

I've been using them for approx. 4 to 8 years or so and this it the first time I've experiences issues like these. If there is a flaw to be found on my side it would be me being lazy. Instead of hosting the domains on my own DNS servers I chose to use theirs. Big deal.

GD has its flaws, absolutely, but when it comes to domain registrations and SSL certificates then they're doing a pretty decent job in my book. Their virtual servers otoh, now that's a completely different story.

5. asdf
    FAIL

GoDaddy no wonder

GoDaddy huh? Well that's your problem right there. When you go with the cheapest lowest common denominator registrar whose public face mainly is showing during the superbowl scantily clad married female racers who win about as often as the Green party in Texas what do you expect? GoDaddy is great for some cheap personal web site you don't really care about but anybody trusting them for a mission critical business website is a fool.

1. Aaron Em

Re: GoDaddy no wonder

$5 says DNS amplification via a reasonably sizable botnet.

$50 says you wouldn't handle it hitting your DNS servers one-tenth as well.

$500 says you won't stop bitching about GoDaddy for a second, nonetheless.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Instead of complaining about GoDaddy, why don't you suggest a better alternative? And not Prolexic, no small business can afford that.

And, BTW, IRC other DNS providers (EasyDNS, UltraDNS) with better reputations among geeks have been equally slow in restoring services after massive attacks. Even CloudFlare had security issues....

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

ROFL, a better alternative?

how about every single other registrar/host on the planet.

bloody hell, who opened the muppet door this morning

1. JDX Gold badge

It's less about who opened the door than it is about who walked through it.

Yes we know, everyone popular is shit, blah blah blah. Maybe when you're old enough to run your own business your opinion will be worth listening to.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. asdf
                FAIL

>Maybe when you're old enough to run your own business

Its less about age (even though I am old as dirt) and more about business sense. Honestly considering their ads and corporate image would you really trust them with your livelihood? It doesn't take much internet research to realize GoDaddy (even before this latest ass hat self inflicted wound) should not be considered for anything critical to a business. Capitalism is incredibly efficient at separating a fool and his money.

1. Aaron Em

Business sense, you say?

OK then, asdf, let's look at the figures. Surely, being the hard-nosed, bottom-line-driven businessman you are, you're not going to argue with cold, hard numbers, right? Well, here's the numbers on my company's experience with GoDaddy.

We've been hosting DNS on GoDaddy for a bit over 4 years now; for simplicity's sake (and to save me looking up start dates for what is a back-of-the-envelope estimate), let's call it four years even, which gives a figure of 365 * 4 * 24 = 35040 hours.

Seven of our clients experienced downtime yesterday; the longest individual outage lasted just over four hours. In order to make our estimate as uncomplimentary to GoDaddy as possible, let's assume that all seven clients were down for the full six hours which some unlucky GoDaddy users saw. That gives us a combined total of 7 * 6 = 42 hours.

Expressed in percentage downtime, that gives ((42 / 35040) * 100) = 0.12% downtime; expressed in percentage uptime, that's 99.88% uptime.

Now, that's pretty damn good for a service that's so dirt-cheap it may as well be free, wouldn't you say? I've done business with companies whose SLAs were less stringent, and less stringently met, than that -- and I've paid much more for their services.

1. asdf

Re: Business sense, you say?

GoDaddy uptime is their strong point unlike their horrid customer service. Still the trend the last few months is a bit worrying.

2012 September 10 18 2 hrs, 11 mins, 10 secs 99.185% view

2012 August 31 2 0 hrs, 15 mins, 39 secs 99.965% view

2012 July 31 0 0 hrs, 0 mins, 0 secs 100.000% view

2012 June 30 0 0 hrs, 0 mins, 0 secs 100.000% view

2012 May 31 0 0 hrs, 0 mins, 0 secs 100.000% view

2012 April 30 0 0 hrs, 0 mins, 0 secs 100.000% view

2012 March 31 0 0 hrs, 0 mins, 0 secs 100.000% view

2012 February 29 1 0 hrs, 7 mins, 49 secs 99.981% view

2012 January 31 5692 3 0 hrs, 23 mins, 31 secs 99.947% view

2. Aaron Em

Fair enough, asdf, you didn't call me a muppet

Checking back, I find I did misattribute that particular personal insult; instead, I see that you called me both an incompetent and a shill.

So: apologies for the error, fuck you, and fuck you, in that order.

1. asdf

Re: Fair enough, asdf, you didn't call me a muppet

Here is post you whining I deleted.

Wow sounds like some one is defensive about a poor business decision. Hopefully your boss will buy it. Or else your boss hired a paid shill to talk about how great GoDaddy is. You get what you pay for

I still stand by my original premise than anybody that relies on GoDaddy for anything mission critical is a fool especially as more details come out.

3. Aaron Em

Re: Fair enough

...and then you deleted the post in which you had previously called me those names. Coward.

2. asdf

>Instead of complaining about GoDaddy, why don't you suggest a better alternative?

I charge to do research for muppets. The only free advice I would give is based on the fact GoDaddy did this to themselves I wouldn't use them in the future.

2. Aaron Em
          Facepalm

FAIL indeed; well done

Straight to personalities! Aren't you adorable.

You do get what you pay for. That's why we don't host with GoDaddy -- we tried their VPS service once, and it was execrable. Their name service, on the other hand, has been quite reliable excepting today's issue, which is the sort of thing that could reasonably happen to anyone once. If it happens twice, of course, that'll be a different story.

...see there? That's how grown-ups talk in the real world, and please note the complete absence of '$' for 's' anywhere in anything I've written. You'd do well to try to emulate that sort of thing, if you can. Even if you can't, you'd do well at least to mention the name of someone you prefer over GoDaddy, rather than just slinging shit that's of no benefit to anyone.

2. Aaron Em

Update: GoDaddy claims internal error

See here, GoDaddy's PR release on the subject.

Too bad you were so busy calling me a muppet to take me up on the bet, asdf. Otherwise I might even now be asking you to which address I should PayPal $5.

Since you didn't bother, I'll replace all three of those with the following:

$5 there is a former GoDaddy network admin who is now trying to decide to which town he should move, to what he should change his name, and with what organization he might possibly ever again hope to find employment.

1. asdf
          FAIL

Re: Update: GoDaddy claims internal error

>Too bad you were so busy calling me a muppet

I never called you a muppet some one else did. After reading that press release though anybody whose business relies on GoDaddy going forward is a muppet big time.

2. asdf
          FAIL

Re: Update: GoDaddy claims internal error

>$5 says DNS amplification via a reasonably sizable botnet.

>Otherwise I might even now be asking you to which address I should PayPal $5.

Where in their press release does it say anything about a botnet? They specifically say it was internal. You would be owing me actually.

1. Aaron Em

Wow. Bad day for you, asdf?

Quoting what you may decide not to stand by once you've realized how embarrassing to you it is, or should be:

Where in their press release does it say anything about a botnet? They specifically say it was internal. You would be owing me actually.

You're right. I already said as much. To make it painfully, pedantically clear:

1) I offered to stake $5 on the claim that the cause of the downtime was a DNS amplification attack delivered via a botnet.

2) Assuming you'd taken me up on the bet, you would implicitly be staking $5 on the cause of the downtime being anything else but that.

3) GoDaddy's PR statement says it was indeed not a DNS amplification attack via botnet, but rather an internal error.

4) This being the case, had there been a bet, you'd have won it, and I would need to know to which address I should send the $5 to pay off my losing bet. Which is what I already said, in the very comment you've quoted above.

"It's five o'clock somewhere" is a line from a song, not an axiom by which to live one's life. I wonder if you have trouble recognizing the difference; if so, may I suggest you investigate Alcoholics Anonymous meetings in your vicinity? They tend to be listed online, I gather.

1. asdf

Re: Wow. Bad day for you, asdf?

There is no argument here really and no need for names for anyone other than GoDaddy. The fact is GoDaddy sucks. Everyone makes mistakes and sometimes doesn't pick the best company to do business with.

2. Katie Saucey

I agree, so far I've only received one complaint email (from mom) about not seeing my new dog pics. For 5$ a month you get what you pay for.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He is anonymous

Anonymous likes to have its cake and eat it too. They either an organisation or they're just anyone depending on what best fits the argument. But anyone can be anonymous so they can't claim they're not responsible.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: He is anonymous

So you"re basically saying Anonymous is Batman?

7. Nate Amsden

I'm sure the guy is mad ..

because he was so disappointed when he went to to go daddy web site to see the exclusive "un censored" footage of the end of their various commercials.

think of it like this - if your a small business take the opportunity to consider switching to a more robust DNS provider. Or at the very least perhaps a provider that is less visible, so your less likely to suffer as a result of someone else's problem. Another approach could be to use multiple DNS providers.. though co-ordinating the setup of the zone transfers and stuff can often times be beyond the reach of the average customer.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He is from Brazil

http://www.zdnet.com/anonymous-hacker-claims-godaddy-attack-outage-hits-millions-7000003925/

He should at least have changed the Godaddy girl cover to a naked Godaddy girl instead.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

@AC

But if she was naked how would we know it was a GD girl? ;-)

1. 404

re: GD Girl identification

by the penis....

;)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is not just Godaddy.com hosted websites.

It also affects Godaddy.com registered websites, that use Godaddy.com nameservers, that then redirect via custom A records to other hosts.

That is all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It is not just Godaddy.com hosted websites.

Really? considering it's a DNS Ddos, ofc it's not just hosted sites.

christ, is it a full moon or something, seems to be a great deal of iijuts on this morning

10. Jan Hargreaves
    Mushroom

My first thought when I saw this was must have been someone who tried to do something pretty simple, but ended up tearing their hair out with the abomination that is the godaddy control panel.

Lowest common dominator indeed... GoDaddy is to hosting like nescafe is to coffee.

1. JDX Gold badge

I'm not a web-dev and I can figure it out.

11. Lewis R

Stop playing the blame game, and consider what has happened

Even DynDNS has suffered through DDoS attacks (many of them). Nobody is immune, and to assume that someone *is* immune is a fool's pursuit. See http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/21/netsol_flood/ for yet another example, against a registrar who charges considerably more per domain (and enjoys a more "highbrow" reputation) than GD.

GoDaddy provides a decent registration service, and their DNS isn't bad (I prefer Dyn, but that, of course, adds another $30 per zone to the annual maintenance, and many companies register domains by the tens or hundreds...these numbers add up quickly).

Like someone said earlier, even sites not hosted with GoDaddy were affected, so hosting really had no bearing on the impact of this.

Even sites registered with GD but using off-site DNS would have been impacted, as without access to the point of delegation (registrar), eventually, the DNS cache would have expired and nobody would know *who* the authoritative nameservers *were* for such sites.

We've also somehow bought into the idea that a single individual (even with a botnet in place) could possibly pull this off, against the resources of an outfit the size of GD (bringing up new net links on new addresses, and updating DNS every few minutes, from many scattered places). I, for one, am not buying it simply on the say-so of some twit on tw-tter. It was likely a group effort, and one which took considerable planning to pull off (and that by no means should be taken as a statement of admiration for these slime).

Clearly, we need better safeguards at layers 3 & 4 against DDoS, before the traffic hits the intended target(s). This isn't a failure (only) of GD (in this case), but of the networks connecting the internet to GD (and how many of them were involved and yet somehow failed to mitigate the attack?).

1. Donn Bly

Re: Stop playing the blame game, and consider what has happened

@Lewis R

> Even sites registered with GD but using off-site DNS would have been impacted,

> as without access to the point of delegation (registrar), eventually, the DNS

> cache would have expired and nobody would know *who* the authoritative

> nameservers *were* for such sites.

Sorry, DNS doesn't work that way. Once your nameserver change has been submitted it goes to the root, and it never comes back to the submitting registrar. You are confusing DNS with WHOIS. In DNS, the root zone file contains EVERY domain, the name servers assigned, and even glue records which contain the IP addresses of those servers if the servers are under your own domain and are set up properly.

2. asdf

Re: Stop playing the blame game, and consider what has happened

DDos can be mitigated somewhat. Internal morons seem to be more of an issue for most registrars especially the low end ones.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder if this will spur people into working out an alternative even a little bit less sketchy than the abomination that is the DNS protocol as it stands today.

1. S4qFBxkFFg
      Trollface

http://74.125.224.72/search?q=porn

Just use IP addresses and bookmark what you want - the only one you'll ever need to know is Google's to find them in the first place.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Soon to do the Perp Walk

SOS, DD.

BTW, does GoDaddy really have "millions" of websites? I'd like to see the real numbers.

1. Ben Naylor
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: Soon to do the Perp Walk

Tree fiddy :)

2. Donn Bly

Re: Soon to do the Perp Walk

> BTW, does GoDaddy really have "millions" of websites? I'd like to see the real numbers.

ns08.domaincontrol.com, one of the GoDaddy name servers taken down by the attack that I monitored because it had several of my client's domains on it, runs the authoritative DNS for over 33.9 million domain names. Actually, since you want "real" numbers, the count is 33,919,902 as of today.... of course, I expect that number to fall a little as people switch away.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not only DNS.

There is something more than an attack on their public DNS infrastructure. I have domains with annother DNS provider, but a virtual host with Godaddy and I could not reach the virtual host on it's IP address.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@AC

Unfortunately that could also be caused by GD itself, its one of their not so great services in my opinion. I've had such issues for quite a while; a VPS doing absolutely nothing would stay responsive for approx. 30 - 60 minutes and then turn completely unreachable.

When I reset said VPS the above scenario occurred, and when I contacted support they reset the VPS for me, concluded that it was back up and thus told me 'case closed'.

The fun part was when I setup a "phone home" routine (cron job which pinged one of my other (non-GD) servers and down/up -loaded a file); even during periods where the server was completely unreachable it would still easily perform such communication feats, thus ruling out external issues such as DoS or something.

When I discovered that I dropped the idea entirely to use GD for anything else but domain registrations and SSL certs.

15. Matt Hamilton
    FAIL

Just use multiple DNS servers?

This thing no-one has yet to point out is that the DNS system is already more than capable of dealing with attacks like this. It already has redundancy in place. You need to have at least 2 DNS servers for each domain. Just put those two DNS servers on different networks. Ie. have one with Go Daddy and one with someone else.

Why does no-one do this?

1) Cost. You no doubt will end up paying twice and everyone is a skinflint

2) Management. Any DNS changes will need to be made in more than one place in more than one interface on more than one system.

Alas there isn't really a secure, trusted, usable standard around for passing DNS zone information from one DNS server to another. No, zone transfers don't count.

-Matt

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just use multiple DNS servers?

The zone file is itself a text file, which can be sent by myriad means.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do people still celebrate this kind of thing?

As has been pointed out by numerous posters, no system is 100% secure, and there is no great achievement in having DDOSed this particular system. The justification that this moron was testing their security is laughable. It is as if a burglar claimed that he was just testing the security of a building when he set broke in. Why anybody would celebrate somebody who carries out a simple criminal act no smarter than kicking down a door, is utterly beyond me.

1. Aaron Em

Re: Do people still celebrate this kind of thing?

Just as it's easier to destroy than to create, it's easier to celebrate destruction than to face the fact that one's not up to the task of creating anything worthwhile.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can somebody explain this

Why are domains that were registered with Godaddy but have their DNS servers elsewhere affected by this? I assumed that if Godaddys DNS servers were attacked it would only cause problems for sites that used Godaddys DNS, but this does not seem to the case. What am I missing?

I noticed Godaddy had switched the DNS of its main website to Verisign, that must have hurt!

1. Lewis R

Re: Can somebody explain this

...because without access to the registrar, it is not possible to verify which DNS provider is authoritative for the domain. There is a finite lifespan of the cache, and when that runs out, the NS record in the zone must be refreshed. To do that, the registrar (point of delegation) must be contacted. If unavailable, the zone expires.

While it is handy to have records with long TTL's, it makes propagating delegation changes more difficult, as the NS records won't be refreshed for a longer period of time.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Can somebody explain this

@Lewis R, cheers for the info. Wasn't aware that the DNS trail goes all the way back to the registrar.

18. ashR

RE: Can somebody explain this

>> Why are domains that were registered with Godaddy but have their DNS servers elsewhere affected by this?

They were not, it would have been a far bigger story if they were. Where are you seeing something that states otherwise?

The root nameservers would still resolve domains that were not using Godaddy DNS.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: RE: Can somebody explain this

@ashR, a few friends asked if I knew why some sites were down that they could not access. Assuming it was godaddy related I checked where the nameservers and they were different for each site but a whois on those same sites showed they were all registered through godaddy.

Probably just a big coincidence then....

1. Aaron Em

Different for each site...

...but not every GoDaddy domain server ends in .godaddy.com. In particular, if the nameservers you were seeing were .domaincontrol.com, that's -- guess who? -- GoDaddy! So it doesn't necessarily mean anything, what you're saying right here.

19. geejayoh
    Trollface

Moral Grounds

I laughed because I take issue with go daddy on moral grounds. The shady practise of pre registration of domain names when people had searched them on go daddy is profiteering at best, criminal art worst. They should have been pulled up for that. Like so many others too.

20. Gordon Pryra

Good for me anyway

Sod the script kiddy on the other side of the fence, Ive always got people I come into contact with to keep clear of Godaddy after a little issues I had with billing and crappy customer service.

Happy me, my competors all use cheapo Godaddy hosting. Google was great for me yesterday!!!!!

21. Alan Brown Silver badge

DNS is too easy to break

And the whole gTLD system we have now is a massive rort.

Even so, attacks of this scale were run against Spamhaus a decade ago. Lessons have already been learned - or should have been.

22. James Gosling
    Happy

But then again...

Bob Parsons likes boobies!

23. Lewis R

GoDaddy says the problem was internal, and not external

In case anyone is interested in hearing GD's side of the story:

http://www.godaddy.com/newscenter/release-view.aspx?news_item_id=410

Believe it, or not.

24. Dynamic Net

Questions small businesses should be asking after the outage

Good day:

This issue should hopefully raise some questions to stewards / managers of small businesses:

1. Does cheap web hosting lead to lost revenue? http://www.dynamicnet.net/2012/04/cheap-hosting-limits-growth-site/

2. Can you find high value web hosting? http://www.dynamicnet.net/2012/06/reflections/

3. Would it not be better for small businesses to support one another vs. going with large corporations like Godaddy, who advertisements sell on sexuality, where one will be treated with value vs. being just another number?

Of note, Hostgator, Bluehost, and hundreds of other companies are owned by EIG whose focus is cheap hosting. They throttle with a very heavy hand. While probably everyone in the world, at least by now, knows about the Godaddy outage, the heavy throttling could be far worse for small business owners as they may not know when customers can get to their sites.

Thank you.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like