back to article Apple chatting up labels for Fanboi Radio: Pandora, boxed?

Apple top brass have been chatting up music execs in efforts to get their backing - and tunes - for an Apple branded radio station, says the Wall Street Journal, also confirmed by the New York Times. The putative Apple radio station would stream music related to a song initially chosen by the user - with song choice decided by …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I seems this would be the next logical step of WORLD DOMINATION!

2. Turtle

"Rewind And Repeat" Not Only Songs, But History....

"...they are trying to strike special deals that would let them use the music more flexibly than other services can - allowing users to rewind and repeat songs for example."

The labels would be stupid to allow this. So they will probably will....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is really interesting. If Apple get their way, the labels will not be able to discriminate against other providers and offer their wares on the same basis. Could be good for Pandora.

1. Steve Todd
      Stop

Comprehension fail

Pandora et al exist because they can take a compulsory radio licence. The music companies don't like this, but they have to live with it. If Apple negotiate their own license with the labels it will have no effect on the scope of compulsory licenses and what is allowed to be done with them.

4. Thomas 18
    FAIL

Copying is ok when we do it

Just not when Samsung does it.

1. Seanie Ryan
      Mushroom

Re: Copying is ok when we do it

no, only when there isnt a patent on it already.

if the idea was so good in the first place, let the person who invented it try patent it, if possible. If they dont, then , yeah, copy awayand if you can improve it, all the better. But if they do patent it, then no, dont copy it.

if Pandora have a patent on any of this, then let hope they get the licence fees or protect that patent.

Not too hard to get your head around really.

5. andreas koch
    Joke

Two outcomes possible:

1.) iRadio is immediately more successful and Pandora gets assimilated.

2.) iRadio is less than 100% successful and a jury finds that Pandora has blatantly copied it.

Just kidding . . .

I hope.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Two outcomes possible:

They will also attempt to register iRadio as a trademark and then claim the others that have used it for decades are ripping them off.

1. Seanie Ryan
        Gimp

Re: Two outcomes possible:

just wondering... and maybe you might be able to give help here, but when has this happened in the past?

For example, did apple claim they invented the mp3 player and ask other to stop? or the phone for that matter.

From where i stand, they only claimed ownership of the 'way' they did it (interface, design etc) and wanted others to not blantantly copy that.

i think most who have ever invented/designed/created understand this, others, not so.

Any chance you could spend some time and money on an idea and when you have it, send me on the draft work so i can make money? How could you say no to that??? ;-)

am i wrong?

6. arrbee

So will this mean they will be streaming unlicensed material in addition to making it available through iTunes as they do at the moment ?

7. Paw Bokenfohr

Genius Playlists

Just seems like a logical extension of Genius Playlists really, rather than a copy of Pandora or anything like that specifically. At least, I'm sure that is what Apple will say when asked.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like