back to article Apple eyes $$$ iDevice adapter bonanza

Does anyone feel umbrage that Apple will be the only supplier of adaptors to bridge its new, nine-pin and old, 30-pin dock connectors at the outset? You do? For heaven's sake why? Even iLounge, the site that made the claim that this will be the case, says it's an "initial" deal. In other words, Apple will - naturally, since …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

fanboi tax

Fool and his money are easily parted ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: fanboi tax

You really that tight? A small, cheap device that allows you to continue to use your older equipment / docks etc.

Guess you moaned when they dropped parallel and serial ports and just gave you USB - move on.

1. dougal83
        Thumb Down

Hell, money is no problem for fanbois. Already paying a premium for your phone so just buy new docks from apple.com. Don't be tight and just get an adaptor!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: fanboi tax @dougal83 @shagbag

Here we go. Hemorrhdroid reality distortion field in full force. You guys seem to change your tune daily.

If some Apple fan makes the tired old crack that you guys buy Android because you can't afford an iPhone, you're immediately all up in arms, throwing back examples of how top-end 'droids are just as expensive and that you chose Android because you prefer it to Apple, not because you can't afford it.

Fast forward to an article like this and all of a sudden, Apple phones are overpriced and subject to the 'idiot tax'.

Come on then? Which is it?

I just did a cursory check of a few phone resellers and the 4s and Siii are priced more or less comparably. Siii is actually a bit more expensive, which is to be expected because it's a newer phone.

As for Apple pushing up the price of the iPhone each time it releases a new version? Nonsense. They've kept the price pretty consistent for the last two or three releases. You'd have more credibility if you got your facts right before posting.

Impotent ranting and downvoting on Apple articles that have nothing to do with Android seems to be pretty much the norm for most Reg commentards, so do feel free to downvote the living shit out of me. It'll make you feel powerful, I'm sure. I'm going to be disappointed if I don't make it to at least 40 downvotes just for the hemorrhdroid crack.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: fanboi tax @dougal83 @shagbag - Hemorrhdroids

Yay! First downvote. Thank you sir. Keep them coming. Only 39 to go.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. riparian zone
            Mushroom

yeehaw! I hear the sound of nails being banged head on...

very very true. Like standards compliance, us commentards like to flitter like flies to the next smelly turd...

or so we think. 'member the fondle slab introduction when all and sundry (admittedly myself included) slapped hands to head in complete bewilderment. Now, we realise that the End User is king, and us IT folks are the unwilling pawns, evangelists and harbringers of change for the sake of change - I have yet to find a good simple email client that works well for the visually impaired, yet a client of mine with a humble (and venerable) Acorn has a stunning client which colour codes a conversation thread AND will change between voices when the screenreader is initiated.

Change is inevitable. Change is not necessarily progress, either.

BTW, I hated my Android phone when I got it when i found it wanted to sync my contacts to google...benign or aggressive, the (robber) barons call the shots and all we can do is suck it up and relate the bad news.

3. Steve Todd

40 isn't even trying. I got 49 down votes for having the timmerity to point out that the motor car was patented when it was invented, and that modern cars contain many patented parts. That hasn't lead to lack of competition in the marketplace but the idea seems to drive them insane.

1. eezatehgeeza
              Headmaster

ofc - you meant "temerity"!

2. Shagbag

What was the reason for changing the port in the first place, ie. what was wrong with the old one?

I really believe Apple is not doing enough for its shareholders and should charge more for its products. Each new model should be considerably more expensive that the previous one. Apple owes it to their owners to test Apples current popularity to the max. By ramping up prices to the max. I'd love to see just how far they can go. I really think their customers will pay through the nose just to have that 'Apple' brand near them.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The reason for the new connectors is that they'll be easier to use (reversible) and more robust. In other words, the customers will benefit

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: You really that tight?

The question is for you, not me. I'm not the fanboi paying over the odds for a product with a "name", and then getting fleeced again just to use 'older' equipment. I don't moan about it ... since I don't buy Apple (or indeed any company that invents a new way of screwing customers, instead of thinking of the customer).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A monkey in a cage easily rattled...

An innocuous article--about some tiny bit of inexpensive, non-electronic, kit--but one with the word "Apple" in the title, rapidly elicits spittle-spewing/poo-flinging reflexive responses... Oh, quelle surprise!

2. g e

Cheap

I'd have expected £15 at least based. Not that I need one.

1. Eddy Ito
      Unhappy

Re: Cheap

Don't worry, it probably will once they figure in S&H, import duty, VAT and "because we can" charges. It's quite apparent that you folks regularly get screwed on the $ to £ conversion.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

boo

Lots of folks have only just got over the video connectors needing to have Apple approved chips in them inna Lexmark stylee. If they are going to be gouge on that new dock connector, that seems a bit poo.

Mind, they will probably be pretty laid-back at first, to ensure adoption, then tighten the thumnbscrews by adding more artificial barriers later, as above. First taste is cheap or free, the crack dealer model, works nicely in tech.

4. Robert Grant
    FAIL

Amazing lack of cynicism from El Reg

Seriously guys. We're all over the Fryish fanboyism. Apple should be bundling an adapter with the new kit, and you should be saying this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Amazing lack of cynicism from El Reg

Not sure why, did Nokia bundle pop-port adapters when they changed?

Not everyone needs them.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No, they didn't, your right - we should go back to the bad old days of >5 years ago, when power adaptors were incompatible across brands, where connections were changed across brands annually etc etc.

The connection in the iPhone does nothing more than can be done with a standard USB port and the headphone jack does nothing more than a standard TRRS jack, but for some reason Apple have decided that everyone *must* buy a unique Apple device - like we used to have to do in those bad old days.

I'll stick with my phone, that I can charge at work with the same £2 micro-USB cable I bought 3 years ago and several phones ago and the same headphones that can control my music on all my phones because they do use the standard TRRS model.

2. Chris 171
        Holmes

I got a USB to micro USB adaptor, and again in HDMI flavour bundled with my N8.

So yes, apple should be putting it in the box considering their premium.

Blatant money grab, see icon.

5. AshJ

Kerching Indeed

I have a colleague who loves his IPhone.

So much so, he has a dock in his car, Dock for home entertainment systems etc.

No so different from millions of others out there.

So tell me, how many adapters will he need? well, 1 for the car and at least one for home and probably 1 for at work as well so he can charge his "cry-phone" when he needs to.(no-one is really going to carry their adapter with them are they?

So taking that he may buy 3 adapters, this may well be the average requirement for those not wanting to carry the adapter (or should that be an I-Dapter?)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Kerching Indeed

Will the iPhone still fit into these docks once the adapter is in place? Surely it's going to extrude a bit from the original connector?

I honestly don't see why Apple can't get with the MicroUSB program, even if they provide a separate iPort for iStuff that needs it (ala the old iPaq 214 etc.) Cost shouldn't be a problem as MacBook owners are happy to fund a glowing Apple advert on the back of their screens, they should be happy to pay for something that's actually useful to them.

1. Annihilator
        Meh

"Will the iPhone still fit into these docks once the adapter is in place? Surely it's going to extrude a bit from the original connector?"

I wondered that. Most docks just have the iDevice resting/protruding from the top. I wouldn't fancy balancing a £600 device on whatever adapter they come up with (I'm imagining it to look like the camera/USB adapters)

2. relpy
      Happy

Shirley just one adapter is needed - and a bit of sellotape to hold it onto the bottom of the phone?

6. AshJ

Kerching Indeed

Average person wil probably need 2/3 adapters - 1 each for Car, Home and Work (maybe).

Anyone mug enough to go buy the "5" needs their head examined - we pay enough in taxes without this fruit seller imposing their own one.

Apple should at the very least bundle one adapter with the new phone

1. andreas koch
      Stop

@AshJ - Re: Kerching Indeed

Beg differ.

Apple customers will not need any adapter. They will buy new appliances with the new, licensed* connector.

As one guy further up said: Move on.

And think about it: as an Apple user, who is always living on the bleeding edge of technology, would you want to be seen with something that uses the outdated old connector? That would be almost as bad as not having the latest iPhone at all!

*probably at £20 a pop, but which manufacturer can afford not to have iPhone compatibility?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @AshJ - Kerching Indeed

"And think about it: as an Apple user, who is always living on the bleeding edge of technology"

That made my day and has completely thrown my digital-sarcasm-detector off... Good stuff.

1. andreas koch
          Happy

@AC 1203h - Re: @AshJ - Kerching Indeed

I aim to please. . . ;-)

7. Nigel R Silver badge
    Thumb Down

chip'n'pin

Ah but the new adapters need a decryption chip in them. Similar to the way printer cartridges went.

Just a rumour

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: chip'n'pin

So a six quid adapter has a chip to decrypt audio and video that wasn't encrypted in the first place?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: chip'n'pin

Nah, it will be like the last generation of video docs for the iPhone- the iPhone won't output video at all unless a valid chip is found in the dock.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another 'standard'

Hmm, one of the micro/mini/supermini USB formats not quite good enough then..?

Dominant market player so not really much of a surprise I guess...

9. bjh_101

Meanwhile, Nokia announces Windows Phones with wireless charging and NFC. No need to plug in or dock your phone ever again.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Does a wireless charging base cost £6?

NFC enabled gadgets cost how much again?

Finally can you send files to it at USB 3 speeds? Didn't think so.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If you are on a budget they also include an industry standard micro USB port for all of the required uses at zero cost.

1. Charles 9

IIRC some of the required uses (at least of the old dock) include video out and line-level audio out, neither of which can be done via the Micro USB connector, which is a straight data link and usually requires the ability to maneuver through directories. Bluetooth has a better shot at the audio end since it's designed for that purpose, but many older cars don't have the capability to accept Bluetooth audio without a bodge which may not even work (radio transmitters tend to be interference magnets, and cassette adapters are only good if you have a working tape deck in the car, and fitting a car with an aftermarket deck will set you back a decent bit and will involve either an expensive installation session or some intimate time with your vehicle's console).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah apart from the wireless dock of course and then you need how many of those - one for the office, one (or more) for home. I like the idea of wireless charging and of course we have not seen what the new iPhone will have - but it's also a bit of a gimmick - I mean it's not really 'hard' to drop your iPhone into it's cradle at night is it...?

Personally I prefer to dock as the phone is right way up and you can see any notifications that pop up etc.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Meanwhile, Nokia announces Windows Phones with wireless charging and NFC."

Which comes with a free white van and a DSLR too, amazing value!

10. Miek
    Linux

I'm really not sure of the point of this article. So Apple appears to making a new dongle to bridge their proprietary connectors. It only appears to apply to apple hardware and Apple will be the first suppliers of said dongle. It sounds like business as usual. Is it simply that 3rd party accessory makers won't be able to punt low cost versions for all the Apple fans that are "On a budget"?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hey at least you can dock the stuff if you want and at least there is an option - buy other makers phones / tablets and often no dock is even an option or it's proprietary and needs to be thrown away when you upgrade your phone.

Things like the Apple universal dock have been great for many, many years - just flip in an (included) plastic guide and use it with the different devices - but people love to diss Apple so when they 'eventually' replace the dock connector with something smaller (perhaps better) it's wrong...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"people love to diss Apple so when they 'eventually' replace the dock connector.."

Screw you. My iPad 3 is new enough that I shouldn't have to worry that the connector is obselete. Go back to your Steve Jobs sex doll.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "people love to diss Apple so when they 'eventually' replace the dock connector.."

Yeah, so's my iPad 3, but things change.

I remember having to replace my Nokia 2110 car charger when I updated to a 6210. But that that then remained compatible for my 6310i so then I didn't have to change. Over time things change (as someone said legacy ports vs. USB) but it seems to me Apple's universal dock has been rather more long lived that any other similar connector I can think of (excepting USB and 3.5mm jack both of which offer a subset the functionality of the UD).

If this change is a deal breaker for anyone there are plenty of other handset options both Apple and "other" that are and will be available. Nothing is now obsolete, life goes on and "standards"* simply come and go...

Finally, FWIW, I don't see the adaptor as a dumb item because I don't see the same number of lines in/out. So it will need to actively convert the 30 lines into probably a serial stream. And to be fair £6 for an adaptor for anyone who's got the cash to splash on a £3-400+ handset or a fat contract doesn't seem unreasonable...

* yeah I know the Universal Dock isn't an industry standard but it seems to be a de facto one in the world of music docks...

2. Dave Walker
      Flame

Speaking of Dock Inserts

How is is that certain case and accessory manufacturers can't seem to make a dock insert that fits their own cases? I put on a Griffintech case, but have to let the poor phone flop around on the connector. And Griffin makes docking accessories too!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whooo eee

Wow, there seems to be a lot of negativity here from people, concerned that other individuals will pay 1-2% extra on top of whatever they pay for their new gadget. £6 for the convenience of plugging the thing into a variety of docks and stereos...

I don't have any Apple gear, so for much of the last decade I have had to put up with a variety of connector options for power, audio and video- mini and micro USB, circular 9v plugs, several flavours of propriety charging and headset sockets (thanks Samsung), mini HDMI, Archos's weirdness... and that's not including Sony's attempts at a dock 'ecosystem'. Not quite Never Twice Same Cable, but close.

Rather than poking fun at Apple users, maybe folks could flood Google with requests and suggestions for some sort of universal Android dock?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Whooo eee

Google already gives us a phone dock via the pogo pins of the Galaxy Nexus.

It doesn't work with any other phone or even Google own tablet (they changed it for then Nexus 7 already) but we don't need old accessories anyway, or if we do it's nothing that a saw, soldering iron and some microchips can't solve.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: universal Android dock

You mean the maker of Android *the operating system*? and for them to standardise something on hardware? Ok.

1. Dave 126

Re: universal Android dock

>You mean the maker of Android *the operating system*? and for them to standardise something on hardware? Ok.

You sound dubious. I do appreciate that Google make the OS and not the hardware, but have you a suggestion as to who might be better placed to encourage for Android licencees to get together on this? And a dock system isn't just hardware, it requires the OS to support some functions- such as remote media controls and hands-free kit integration.

Samsung and Sony have already tried their proprietary systems, and they didn't work because the critical mass of users wasn't big enough to either make it a selling point, or to encourage third parties to support it - in speakers, hifis, cars etc. If Samsung, Sony, HTC and others got together, they would have a large enough market share for a single dock design to take off- if Android market share continues as it is.

It is not unheard of for a software vendor to specify hardware- MS did exactly that with Windows 7 Phone.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Other manufacturers have used a wide variety of plugs to charge and / or sync their kit over the years - I like the way apple did it with a AC to USB 'plug' and then a USB to dock cable. It was not long ago when I had a mini USB for syncing my Nokia and then that micro power connector to charge it = faff.

You get a new iDevice - you can still use the older charger just with a new cable. You have a dock (which many other devices can only dream of as there are few / no standards) and boo hoo you have to pay a few quid so you can use it with your latest phone. It's far more eco-friendly than most manufacturers.

1. RainForestGuppy

Hello minion of Tim

It's quite obvious that you post as an Anonymous Coward because you work for Apple or one of its PR agencies.

It's not unusal for companies to employ people to go through forums and reply to any negative comments.

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge
        FAIL

Re: Hello minion of Tim

Why? Is anybody who doesn't agree with your world view automatically a Minion of Tim? Well here you go, I agree with him and I'm neither anonymous nor an employee of Apple. Apple have had the 30-pin connector longer than any other manufacturer has had their connection; Samsung have had at least three types not including MicroUSB (more if you include tablets), SonyEricsson have had three, Nokia's had two connectors and two different voltages, HTC and their ilk have standardized around MicroUSB but haven't been around that long, even USB itself has been through three iterations in that time FFS. And given the potential for space saving, this shift makes a hell of a lot more sense than MiniUSB to MicroUSB, which didn't save any space worth speaking of, didn't add any new functionality, and ended up more fragile to boot.

Save your frothing at the mouth for things Apple does that DO deserve criticism.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Other manufacturers actually support the Apple 'dock' connector - that pretty much says it all - it's not an issue for Android users as apart from basic charging docks I've not seen a Bose Sounddock for the Galaxy or a Note dock for my car - they just don't exist as it's too much of a moving target.

15. mad_dr
    Coat

You only need...

...1 adapter and a bit of gaffer tape to attach it to the phone. Job done.

16. jai

the thing is..

...the third party usb-to-30pin-iphone leads i've tried over the years have all been rubbish. cheaper, yes, but soon fail and require replacing. whereas the Apple branded ones i've either got with the iDevices or bought to replace the crap 3rd party ones, are all still working.

so, yes, i'll happily pay Apple 6 quid an adapter, i'll probably buy two, because in the long run, that's cheaper than having to buy six that are made by a third party which then fall apart after a month.

17. IHateWearingATie
    FAIL

They may have lost me as a customer in the future...

... apart from liking iOS, one of the reasons I've stayed with Apple is the ubiquity of connectors in my house (chargers, docks etc) that fit both the iPhones and iPods we have. I'll have to see how the adapter works but it may be a more open competition for my next phone - I've come to like Jellybean on my Nexus 7 tablet as much as iOS...

1. Dave 126

Re: They may have lost me as a customer in the future...

Jelly Bean has 'USB Audio', apparently... maybe the first step to an Android dock solution. Have you played with it / have any idea what it is? Documentation seems a little light.

18. RainForestGuppy

Well at least

Samsung can't be sued, they use a micro USB just like every sane company in the world.

But then again if you didn't design you own propriety connector you can't patent it and charge everybody for the "privilege" of using it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Well at least

Actually the Galaxy Tab line uses a proprietary connector as well.

1. Charles 9

The Tabs use BOTH. But at least they provide explanations for the proprietary connection. First off, it allows more power than the Micro USB spec allows (over 1A @ 5V), so it charges faster. It also allows breakout functions like video out (analog or digital, your choice), USB-A sockets, etc. And like Apple, the tail end is a USB A plug, so a decent USB power supply socket (I think they recommend at least 1.5A @ 5V) can charge your Tab wherever you go.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

That's pretty much exactly like Apple's proprietary connectionthen (either current or prospective). Breakout functions and surprisingly high amperage.

19. mickey mouse the fith

Meh, tech advances,connectors change. I have no problem with this as long as.....

1: Apple didnt change it to gouge more money from customers, whilst adding no extra utility.

2: They didnt change it to lock out 3rd partys via embedded chips.

3: They didnt make the adaptor so awkward to use that people gravitate to new Apple made docks/acessories etc.

Of course, they probably did all the above, there not a charity after all.

Whats wrong with usb anyway?, seems to work for every other phone out there at the moment.

What's wrong with USB...

...is that the charging current is too limited, at least if they want to stay within the USB spec. Charging, say, an iPad 3 over standard MicroUSB would take 11 hours.

20. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

Apple said it will work, so it will work, right...?

My colleague that brought his iPad3 over lunch (yes, the one that didn't know it had a rocker volume switch) had an amusing problem - charging it. The Apple site says you can charge from the Apple 10W adapter, any iMac, or from a PC "with a suitable USB port". We don't have any iMacs in our office so that option was out. So we started trying PC USB ports, and were amazed to find it simply refused them all, even brand new PCs with USB3 ports! At our wits end we were ROFLing when we finally fooled it with another phone's USB-3-pin adapter - a Samsung one!

Boffin

Re: Apple said it will work, so it will work, right...?

Standard PC (non-Apple) USB ports are typically limited to less than 1A, in many cases 500mA. This is sufficient to charge an iPad 3 (albeit slowly), as long as the iPad is turned off. On, it consumes more power than it gets from the adapter and won't charge.

You didn't 'fool' it with the Samsung adapter, it was simply able to supply enough current to charge the iPad whilst turned on.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        FAIL

Re: Re: Apple said it will work, so it will work, right...?

"Standard PC (non-Apple) USB ports are typically limited to less than 1A, in many cases 500mA......" We did try with the iPad switched off. Don't tell me, USB ports on Apple iMacs are somehow exceeding 900mA, or they have magic electrons 'cos they're coming out of an APple port? Yeah, right! More likely it's some shameful Apple control freakery - "you will only use an Apple device to charge another Apple device!" Some of the ports tried are USB3 ports giving 900mA, if they don't work then why does Apple say they will on their site?

PS: My colleague says he's since found it also works with an old HTC 3pin-USB adapter.

Thumb Down

Yes, USB ports on MacBooks and iMacs manufactured since 2007 will provide up to 1100mA when an Apple device is connected and specifically requests it.

If your colleague's iPad 3 is not charging at all from a standard (900mA) USB port when the iPad is turned off, then it is either broken, or the USB port is broken/switched off, or the cable is broken, or (more likely) you're telling porkies in an effort to shovel FUD.

"....If your colleague's iPad 3 is not charging at all from a standard (900mA) USB port when the iPad is turned off, then it is either broken....or the cable is broken..." Duh! If it charges off the 3-pin adapters with the same cable how can it be broken, genius?

"....or the USB port is broken/switched off...." yeah, ports that work fine with external drives, printers, scanners, USB keys, and can be used to charge other phones (Blackberrys, Samsung or HTC) and tablets, just happens to switch off for an Apple device.... You a bit paranoid or just getting desperate?

"....or (more likely) you're telling porkies in an effort to shovel FUD." So anyone that doesn't echo your blinkered view of life in the Apple walled garden is a liar? Get over yourself.

FAIL

Matt, I fail to see what's so difficult to understand about USB ports under Windows not being able to supply the current required to charge an iPad 3 with the screen turned on. Is it really that complicated?

There's no magic electrons and no conspiracy theory. The simple fact is that USB ports on MacBooks or iMacs manufactured since 2007 are capable of supplying 1100mA to devices that request it; USB ports under Windows or Linux are rated at max 900mA.

The simple fact is that the more you argue, dispute or create strawmen about the above, the more you show you either can't understand, or won't understand. You're also making yourself look like an idiot. My advice? Stop now before you need a shovel to dig yourself back out again.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
                FAIL

"......I fail to see what's so difficult to understand about USB ports under Windows not being able to supply the current required to charge an iPad 3 with the screen turned on...." I fail to see what is so difficult in not being able to read above where I plainly said the iPad was off! Complete fail, obviously due to shiny white blinkers.

".....The simple fact is that USB ports on MacBooks or iMacs manufactured since 2007 are capable of supplying 1100mA to devices that request it; USB ports under Windows or Linux are rated at max 900mA....." So what you're saying is not only do Apple not use a standard implementation of USB2, they also put incorrect advice on their website - http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/, http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/ipad_user_guide.pdf page 22 - no mention of Apple computers only and no warning that the Ipad3 is such a powerhog it can't charge from a running PC. Thanks for clearing that up.

"....You're also making yourself look like an idiot...." Your inability to read simple posts, plus your obvious fanboism, suggests are mentally unequipped to comment. You are well beyond the point of looking stupid what with your rabid denial of a simple user observation. What are you going to suggest next, that we were holding it wrong? Epic fail of the true fanboi. I suggest you just stay at home and continue fondling your iDevices and leave the conversation to the adults.

1. Gerrit van Amerongen
                  FAIL

@Matt Bryant: you're giving us Android users a bad name; stop being such a dick. Try listening instead of mouthing off, you might learn something.

Sheesh.

FAIL

"Gerrit van Amerongen" - a one post account created just before the post defending fanbois. Yes, I'm so sure you're a real and staunch supporter of Android.

1. Gerrit van Amerongen
                      Thumb Down

I don't see myself as a 'supporter' of an platform; it's not a football team. I use Android on my Empire Nova S tablet (writing this now on it), my friend has a Galaxy Note which he loves, and I would buy if I could afford it. Just to prove I'm not biassed I also like how the Ipad looks, but don't like the idea of only ever being able to use my apps on Apple stuff.

For my work I have a ThinkPad T410 which is nice hardware, crippled by a useless corporate software image.

So I consider myself a user, not a fan or supporter of anything in particular. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages.

2. JP Cavendish
                  Boffin

@Matt Bryant

Lord Elpuss is right.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4060

"The fastest way to charge your iPad is with the included 10W USB Power Adapter. iPad will also charge, although more slowly, when attached to a computer with a high-power USB port (many recent Mac computers) or with an iPhone Power Adapter. When attached to a computer via a standard USB port (most PCs or older Mac computers) iPad will charge, but only when it's in sleep mode. Make sure your computer is on while charging iPad via USB. If iPad is connected to a computer that’s turned off or is in sleep or standby mode, the iPad battery will continue to drain."

If your colleagues ipad isn't charging *at all* over USB, even when asleep, it's probably broken and your colleague should take it back to the Apple store.

A little research works wonders...

FAIL

Re: @Matt Bryant

I see that you must have got the other half of the brain cells allocated to Lord Elpuss. Unfortunately, you don't seem to have got any of your own.

".....If your colleagues ipad isn't charging *at all* over USB, even when asleep, it's probably broken...." If it charges off an HTC and a Samsung charger it can't be broken! DUH! You might also have noticed that the Apple article does not specify USB2.0 or USB3.0, only "high-power USB". Maybe asking fanbois to know the difference was too much for Apple to ask.

"....A little research works wonders..." A little reading before frothing might have helped you not look as stupid as Elpuss.

2. Dave 126

The Samsung Tab's wall charger with USB socket is rated at 2A

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The iPad didn't "refuse" any USB ports. It charges when the screen is off. When the screen is on, it says it isn't charging because it isn't getting enough power to run the screen AND charge the battery.

This was a big, widely-reported point of confusion when the first iPad was released a couple of years ago. I thought everybody was aware of it by now. Apparently not.

FAIL

We did try it witht eh screen off.

21. Craigness

Whilst Nokia makes the future, Apple sells the past

Yesterday Nokia outed a phone which connects to a speaker simply by being placed on top of it, and it charges whilst it's playing (homage to Palm 2008?). Meanwhile apple is still using a port (homage to Palm 1998?). When they finally catch up to the Google/Nokia way the itards will happily update all their peripherals and still crow about how magical and revolutionary their ecosystem is.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Whilst Nokia makes the future, Apple sells the past

A single, unreleased product doesn't make an "ecosystem."

2. JP Cavendish

Have to say I've never in my life heard an Apple fan crowing. Apple Marketing dept certainly, but the users are a quiet lot for the most part.

Facepalm

"Have to say I've never in my life heard an Apple fan crowing..." Lucky you is all I can offer! You obviously haven't heard the joke doing the rounds in London:

Q: How do you know if there's an iPad owner in the room?

A: Don't worry, they'll soon tell you. Repeatedly.

1. JP Cavendish

Hilarious. Again, not my experience; YMMV.

22. Wang N Staines
    Happy

Fragmentation

All the fanbois shout altogether now ... FRAGMENTATION!!!

1. Steve Todd
      Stop

Re: Fragmentation

Er, how is a different dock connector going to effect what software it will run? Fragmentation is about that and the many Android versions that developers have to worry about, and to a lesser extent variations in CPU and GPU hardware, not whether said device has a 30 pin connector, mini or micro USB.

23. Infernoz Bronze badge
    Meh

Why not gratis with the 1st devices which use the new connector?

Apple should be the only supplier initially, gratis with the 1st device to use this connector, given it is they who broke their own 'standard'.

24. Nick De Plume
    Headmaster

go proprietary!

Anything and everything this pin layout can do, can be done using standards based connectors and protocols.

(mhl microusb, wifi-direct instead of airplay etc)

Maybe it won't be as neat and tidy though.

Apple can go for proprietary, because of the vast userbase. It is easier and way more profitable for them.

Me? I like microUSB. It is cheap and very durable - the male end of a cable can break, but important female connector at the device end is very durable. And cables are cheap and plentiful. I like HDMI, because it too is everywhere. I also have an expensive minidisplayport-DVI adapter languishing in my drawer, just because Apple didn't see fit to add a regular HDMI out to its now older generation notebooks, and subsequently took away minidisplayport too. And no, still no HDMI.

Anyway. If you are buying into the Apple Ecosystem, you are tacitly agreeing to pay more - that's the way the cookie crumbles. No two sides to it. It doesn't make you an iTard or fanboy, it just is what it is.

(A note to Lord Elpuss: microUSB is way more robust than miniUSB. It wasn't simply space saving)

1. JP Cavendish

Re: go proprietary!

@Nick de Plume; interesting about the robustness of Micro vs MiniUSB; I've always assumed that because micro is that much more 'precise' in terms of tolerances, that it is less forgiving when abused. It's also a pain in the ass if you get dust in either plug or socket, especially if you don't notice and just ram it home.

In terms of whether microUSB would do the job just as well as the proprietary connector, I can think of two possible reasons of the top of my head why they might not want to use it; 1. Related to dust getting in, maybe they had issues with putting 2.1A through a dusty connector hence their own 'magical and revolutionary dust-rejection mechanism' in their own connector, and 2. Given that they are already butchering the USB spec by delivering massively higher current than the spec allows, maybe the USB Working Group wouldn't let them use it.

Just my $0.02

25. admiraljkb

Most everyone else has moved on to using Bluetooth anyway haven't they?

Wires are so 20th century. :)

I moved to Bluetooth Audio in 2006 (on the much maligned WinMobe no less and a couple of years ahead of Apple getting it), and getting rid of the wires and still being able to listen to music is awesome. Particularly when you are in an environment where if a wire catches on something, its bad news. Truthfully the whole hardwired dock thing is pretty antiquated concept when Bluetooth and DLNA are now well established. Apple should go to Micro-USB to satisify EU legislation, and drop the proprietary nonsense.

(with the above said and my personal opinion known, Apple IS making money on the proprietary dock nonsense, sooooo, the shareholders would be most cross if Apple dropped it and joined industry standards, at least until sales drop. Normally by that point though, its too late... Ala Mac in the 80's)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like