back to article Guinness World Records pulls beards off online Secret Santas

Guiness World Records has owned up to leaking 1,070 email addresses of Redditgifts users who won the record for the Largest Online Secret Santa. Redditgifts bagged the record with 30,250 users in 115 countries handing out presents to each other last Christmas. Redditors involved were able to apply for a certificate of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rob
    Headmaster

Null and Void

Surely they are no longer secret and as such this would invalidate the World Record (I hope it doesn't I'm just partial to a bit of pedantry at the moment before hometime).

1. Infidellic_

Re: Null and Void

You only know part of the pool that could be your Secret Santa. Even if you knew the entire pool of potential Santa you wouldn't know who gave you your gift. It's like saying an office Secret Santa isn't secret as you know it's someone in the office.

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
    FAIL

"I'm sure it was an honest mistake, I hope the poor employee doesn't get fired."

I hope (s)he does, with lots of publicity. Then maybe bozos will learn how to use their email correctly.

How many of these no-longer-secret Santas will find it hilarious when they start to get all the spam that will now follow, if even one of their PCs has a virus that collects email addresses?

3. VeeMan
    Coffee/keyboard

Those that throw stones...

Like any other mistake, especially when you're working to tight deadlines, these things happen. I had exactly such moment but a few months ago. If my fingers could dig through concrete I'd have buried myself alive.

What made an absolute huge difference is the overall response from nearly all (apart of 5 out of several hundred) recipients which is "no worries", "it happens" etc. There's a few that will reply with a URL to email etiquette guidelines, but it's absolutely surprising how everyone remains humane and doesn't call for a head (or two) to roll.

4. Eradicate all BB entrants

I am awarding ...

..... them a certificate of my own for being one of the very few who owned up to it being human error rather than a technical fault.

Every time a company blames stuff like this on a technical error I just think 'Wow, you're software wrote itself?'

5. Stevie

Bah!

GWR never was and never will be recognized as shorthand for Guinness World Records.

It belongs to and always will belong to God's Wonderful Railway whether or not they are still using it.

Now mend your ways or I shall berate you a second time. I've had it with you "Brunel Deniers".

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Guinness bar towel?

A Guinness bar towel?

AFAIK, the book was started by the brewer to stop bar fights over who was the best <xyz> in the world.

However it has now split into it's own company, which has nothing to do with the Diageo corporate stout, other than the name.

1. ThatGuyCalledPete
      Pint

Re: Guinness bar towel?

"Guinness bar towel - Reference to a free give away by beer company of the same name of small hand towels, most of which were never delivered. Usually used to indicate impatience over waiting, or as a statement of disbelief (e.g.: "Yea, right after I get my Guinness Bar Towel"). Original Guinness bar towel thread"

http://www.experiencefestival.com/a/Farkcom_-_Farkisms_and_clichs/id/5041294

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Guinness bar towel?

The Narwhal Bacons At Midnight

LETS ALL USE OBSCURE MEMES THAT ONLY HAVE RELEVANCE TO USERS OF CERTAIN WEBSITES! LOLZ!!!!111ELEVEN

7. Mike Lewis

World record?

Is there a Guiness World Record for the worst email privacy breach?

1. Rob
      Joke

Re: World record?

It won't take rocket science to work out that it will be some UK Council that'll will grab that title.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like