back to article Orange enables Samsung Galaxy SIII bonking

Orange and Barclaycard have revived their QuickTap pay-by-bonk platform with support for the Samsung Galaxy SIII, despite EE's commitment to create a new platform in cooperation with Mastercard. Orange customers who fancy a bit of contractless action can, from tomorrow, get themselves a Samsung Galaxy SIII and score £50 in pay …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Awesome news - use it on my slightly hacked nexus 7

very useful

2. andreas koch
    Unhappy

But it won't catch on

because it isn't Apple.

Pity, but true.

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Er, what?

Maybe I'm missing the point (*) but you have to pre-load money onto your phone from another credit card that you must already have, then you have the option of getting your phone out, unlocking it, enabling nfc, bonking it and then disabling nfc, relocking and returning to your pocket ? (assuming that you are the slightly paranoid type who wouldn't leave nfc turned on, etc. etc.).

Or you could just bonk the credit card that you already have to have (see above) that probably already has contactless payment tech on it?

(*) - insert "bah, humbug", "grumpy old git", "not down wiv the kids" as necessary

1. andreas koch
      Happy

@ AdamT - Re: Er, what?

I totally agree, being one of the "slightly paranoid type" grumpy old gits myself.

But then: The people who are on the bleeding edge of modern technology (the ones that usually ask you if you would like an Organic Macadamia Toffee Crust Slice with your Skinny Decaf Latte) wouldn't switch NFC off.

They would buy an App that automatically blogs every purchase on Facebook, Twitter and Google+.

Which could have amusing results:

2012-09-04 0945h

Tracey bought "Clearblue Pregnancy Test" at Boots Pharmacy for £ 6.98

2012-09-06 1412h

Tracey bought "Tampax Super" at ASDA for £ 3.49

Dave and 45 others like this.

2. illiad

Re: Er, what? yes, damned right...

yes, that is the main problem with large computing power, attached to a payment system... would you trust it with your cash??

and yeah, suppose it does all 'take off' and NFC is available right out in the fashionable holiday spots, where standard clothing is a bikini/ trunks and a straw hat for sun protection, while lazing out in the bay, by the floating bar.... how would you pay? your credit card in your pocket, not ruining your look, or risk damaging/ losing your phone underwater??

4. Bod

Not just SIII

QuickTap is on my Orange Galaxy S2 NFC phone (I9100P) with official ICS software.

Has been there for some time.

Problem is though, launch it and it needs a special SIM from Orange. Was told it wasn't available a while back, but whether that's changed I don't know. Probably not as I assume they want you to buy an SIII.

Anyway, the contactless stuff is getting daft, if not also a bit worrying. New phones have NFC chips but few have enabled services and then if they are it seems it's not tied to your regular bank/credit card account so have to 'top up' etc, and then credit and debit card companies have NFC chips in the cards themselves so why use the phone, and despite even that Barclaycard has insisted on sending NFC sticky things to pop onto a phone or whatever I like, or more likely gets lost or stolen.

On the issue of credit cards for these payments... do they count as cash withdrawls? If so, that means typically interest applied from the instant you make the withdrawl and at a much higher interest rate!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Interest rates

" do they count as cash withdrawls?"

No, they are charged at the same rate as for all other purchases. Of course.

5. Fred M

I'd be happy to give this a try on my Orange Galaxy Nexus, but strangely it appears to be GS3 only. Why?

I hacked Google Wallet on there a while ago, but after the $10 sign-up cash there's no way to use it in the UK.

6. Only me!
    Paris Hilton

The only use

I do see one use for this type of payment. You can load up your kids mobile with say £30 and you can check how the money is spent.....i.e. not at local fag shop etc.....

But other than that it seems like a solution looking for a problem to solve. Just get the card out of your pocket and bonk that.

Paris because as we all know likes a good bonking system!

7. PeterGriffin
    Facepalm

New NFC SIM for S3 to enable Quick Tap?!?

Nipped into a Orange store today to quiz whether a different SIM Card was being shipped for the Quick Tap enabled Galaxy S3 - hoping to nab a new SIM for my NFC capable S2 which could do Quick Tap with the appropriate SIM Card... Sadly even though the store had the S3 in stock they had no clue whether the SIM card was different.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: New NFC SIM for S3 to enable Quick Tap?!?

You expected someone in a phone shop to have a clue about something remotely technical?

LOL!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like