back to article Sony: Our Xperia S tab COPIED Samsung's slab ... on price

Sony has said it won't compete on price as it prepares another attempt to invade the tablet computer market. The Japanese firm is about to start flogging its latest fondleslab, the Xperia S, in the US for $399 for the 16GB model, competing toe-to-toe with similar tablets from Samsung rather than lower-priced gear from Amazon …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Craig 2

Sony the brand

As far as I'm concerned, Sony as a brand is forever tarnished by their dubious behaviour over the last few years. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy anything of theirs, but there would have to be a very good reason (significantly better, cheaper etc) for me to choose a Sony product over another manufacturer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sony the brand

I think their product can be better. But I know from experience that their products can be annoying.

I bought a Sony external 2.5" drive basically to use the drive from it in my laptops (it's cheaper than buying just a hard drive). It was a nightmare to open and I cut my hand in the process.

When I did the same thing again for someone else I bought a cheaper brand (Verbatim I think) and got the drive out in seconds. Toshiba are the worst, it was a bespoke drive with USB3 built onto the PCB. Most brands just stick a little USB to SATA adaptor board into the case.

1. Mark .

"It was a nightmare to open and I cut my hand in the process."

It's because of the patent on rounded rectangles. To avoid a billion dollar payout, Sony are just making sure everything is as sharp as possible...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I can't believe you complain if you take a product apart to strip out parts. You really are on your own at that point.

2. Shagbag

Couldn't agree more. Their reputation is still in tatters.

The 2005 Sony BMG CD Rootkit.

The 2010 PS3 Linux Shutdown.

....etc.

The Sony F**K-YOU-CUSTOMER! bandwagon continues.

2. Bodhi

It was a shame the Tablet S didn't do a bit better, as I thought it was a cracking product. Excellent ergonomics (the wedge shaped design was a joy to use for extended periods), some great features (such as the IR Remote sender and the later mini-apps added with the ICS update), a few classic PS One games available through the PS Store, top notch sound quality and very very easy to use. I'm guessing it suffered for not being an iPad, but as I got bored of the Fruity Offering within about half an hour I was quite thankful for that.

Mine still gets used every day and I really do think we would sturggle without it. Our iPad 2 OTOH, hasn't been out of it's neoprene sleeve in about 3 weeks. I would love one of these new ones, however considering how hard the first one was to get past SWMBO (even though she uses it more than I do now), I may struggle to get a new one 1 year on sanctioned. Shame really, as this one looks lovely.

1. LPF
      Thumb Down

@Bodhi

Why come on here to lie and justify why you made the wrong choice in buying the sony. I mean seriously do you exp[ect people to belive you shellwed on 400 on an Ipad 2 and then went and got a Sony for nearly the same money, and therfore don't use the iPad2 anymore? If you did not use it, you would have sold it long ago, and made nearly all tyhe money you spent on it back. Such and obvious lie!

1. Bodhi

Re: @Bodhi

I think, from what I can deduce from your inane, badly typed ramblings, that you don't believe I have 2 Tablets? Ever thought one might have been supplied by work? I mean I could sell it, but I suspect it wouldn't go down very well.

I also bought the Sony first, and it was quite a bit cheaper than the Apple one, with a 2 year warranty thrown in for free. It also gets used every day, as for my purposes, it is the better Tablet. I can easily play music from my PC upstairs (without a copy of iTunes in sight) whilst mucking about on the web, play the odd flash video, and control all the electronics in my living room with it. Then if I get bored of that I can have a quick game of Crash Bandicoot or Tekken.

So how did I buy the wrong Tablet exactly? Are you suggesting I could do all this with the iPad? Becuase if you have a way of adding an IR Blaster and PS Store I am all ears.

3. Paul Shirley

Ericsson

Buying their way out of SE may have been needed to consolidate all their products but it's bad news for their reputation and customer trust. Ericsson always offered some reassurance that Sony's natural 'shaft the customer' tendencies would be controlled and that moderation might leak across to the tablet division.

Now we just have the same serial customer abusers in control everywhere and I for one don't trust them an inch.

...and yes, still pissed that they dropped my Xperia Play the second the sale was agreed, then invented technical problems as cover. Bunch of shits.

4. Chris 171

Well LPF...

Because the Sony was not the wrong 'choice'. Its great design and the right aspect ratio for a start.

Swype capable too which is eminently better than any apple typing solution. Did I mention the USB and expandable memory?

You keep drinking the coolaid mkay.

Pfft

5. Kimo

Clearly not competing on price...

While the Sony has some nice features, the added $100 for the 32 GB version puts it way over some solid offerings by Asus. You get the choice of the 16GB Sony at the same price as the 32 GB TF300, where it wins on features but has more limited app storage, or the 32 GB version for the same price as the TF700 with its faster processor and better screen. A smaller price bump for the extra 16GB would make it more attractive (does it really come anywhere near $100 to add 16 GB storage?).

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Brand Awareness

The sort of people who would buy a tablet because it's a Sony have already bought iPads.

1. larokus

Re: Brand Awareness

not sure what side of the fence that is aiming at,

but sure, a Japanese or american car, which would you pick? . Apple seems to be strikingly similar to GM of the late 90's in their (no matter what we make the customers will buy it in droves) attitude. I'll take Japanese quality and control any day. And for the record Im still on my original PS3, and 5th xbox. The iphone has barely changed since 2007 and sells like hotcakes. Doesnt exactly represent an intelligent purchase.

7. Nadjau

@Bodhi

Agreed about the 1st gen. Tablet S. A very good first effort from Sony and I also use mine every day.

I suspect its sales were impacted by the lack of an oleophobic coating on the screen, which meant the screens of demo units in Currys etc looked greasy and dirty compared with the Samsungs and iPads.

A classic penny-pinching cock-up that I assume Sony will have fixed in the new iteration.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like