back to article Global warming GOOD for biodiversity, say boffins

A study led by the University of York reveals that geologically warm periods are a biodiversity plus – but only on long time-scales. To be published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the study finds that biodiversity in warm periods rises over periods of millions of years – the downside being that species …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. itzman

As it snows early in Germany...

..and we get the coldest summer night for god knows how long..

..one wonders what global warning this is, that everybody is talking about.

Unless its the one measured y thermometers that have had towns and car parks built round them..

1. Thought About IT
      FAIL

Re: As it snows early in Germany...

Don't let your complete ignorance of the difference between weather and climate stop you from being first to express your opinion.

1. Fading
        Thumb Down

Downvoted for: if it's good enough for James "Nasa" Hansen (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/heatwaves-are-proof-of-global-warming-says-nasa-scientist-8008441.html) it's good enough for El-Reg.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge
      Devil

Global Warming == Europe Freezing or to be more exact more continental climate.

Any climate model out there shows that an _AVERAGE_ 1C up over the northern hemisphere should result in 2-4C down across most of Europe. To make matters even more interesting it will be coupled with increased temperature differential so you should expect 3-4C more in mid summer (which we got) and 6-8C (or worse) less in mid-winter.

The reason is that the first victim of global (or to be more exact northern hemisphere) warning is the Gulfstream.

As a result European climate comes closer to normal for the European lattitudes. As a comparison Germany is at the same lattitude as Hudson Bay in Canada or Kamchatka in Russia. Both are known for their lovely holiday resort climate you know. Similarly, Italy and the Mediteranean is at the lattitude of New England, Washington (not DC, the state) and Oregon . Similarly lovely resort climate.

In any case, if the global warming proponents are right buying a 4x4 and MS/Snowflake tyres for it is advisable. If they are wrong - same story. So you will be freezing in both cases.

2. ChilliKwok
    Meh

Warmth is good? Who'd a thunk it? What with all that lush vegetation, insect and animal life in the arctic, and those barren wastes in the tropics. And they get paid how much for this cr#p?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. sayhi2yourmom4me

Good for biodiversity maybe but bad for the world as we know it. I suppose though there would be more giant bugs and such once the temp goes up

1. Elmer Phud
      Thumb Up

spot on

"but bad for the world as we know it"

It can be difficult for the recently developed humans to understand long-term effects.

They still seem to think the planet was constructed just for them - bless.

4. rgarris

not quite the whole story

it's a shame that this article did not point out the most relevant point from the original. The current rate of climate change is much, much faster than the rates seen in the historical data. As a result environments and species are being overrun by changing climate and are unable to adapt. Per the original article we are not likely to see any increase in biodiversity due to climate change, just the extinctions.

it seems then that this article actually misrepresents the science. Pity. I expect better of El Reg.

1. Thought About IT

Re: not quite the whole story

"it seems then that this article actually misrepresents the science. Pity. I expect better of El Reg."

I guess you can't have read any of Orlowski's or Page's articles on AGW. Their agenda can only be pursued by seriously cherry picking the facts. Much of Orlowski's writing on IT is good, but he's risking the reputation of El Reg in pursuit of that agenda.

1. Psyx
        Stop

Re: not quite the whole story

"risking the reputation of El Reg in pursuit of that agenda."

Risking?

A bunch of people I know already refer to the Reg as Andrew's right-wing mouthpiece, and others view it as a Lewis' anti-climate change blog!

5. Psyx
    Meh

Stop press: Changes in climate and a warmer climate result in more critters having to make adoptions to environment. Many adaptations fail but many succeed, resulting in both greater biodiversity and more extinctions.

It's almost like... that Darwin guy... was right.. a couple of hundred years ago!

6. mhenriday
    Pint

Now I understand the perspective

enjoyed by Lewis Page and Andrew Orlowski on global warming - it doesn't exist and even if it does, it's beneficial anyway (on a scale of a couple of million years). Alas, many species to which we have been accustomed - including, most likely, H sapiens sapiens, itself - will, no doubt, have disappeared during the transition period, but I am sure that LP and AO will be able to find charming companions with whom to associate....

Henri

7. Mitoo Bobsworth
    Meh

On a personal note...

..I became highly disengaged with the entire climate show when the 'powers-that-be' started promoting the agenda that the general populace would have to pay more & do with less for the privilege of existing. Thousands of arguments from both sides have left me, like millions of other souls, indifferent to this lumbering mess of conjecture.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like