back to article O2: no Ice Cream Sandwich for some Sony Xperia owners

O2 won't be certifying Android 4.0 for Sony's Xperia Neo, Arc and Ray handsets, the network operator has said, after testing the OS on these devices and finding it "didn’t meet our requirements". Says the carrier: "Unfortunately with the Ray, Arc and Neo our testing found that the software update affected the phone’s speed and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Android 4.0.4 via other routes then:

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/devices

2. David Gosnell

Crapware

It'll be the combination of O2 and Sony's crapware that tips the balance, then. Reports are that although ICS likes a gig, it will run perfectly happily in half that in its purest form.

3. dotdavid

Sony's boasting about the 2011 Xperias getting ICS has always annoyed me; in the UK, no handset has gotten it officially yet to my knowledge. To make matters worse, even network-unlocked/unbranded handsets like my wife's Ray haven't gotten an official update either, supposedly because Sony want to make sure it "works on all networks" so was waiting for all the UK networks to sign off the update before rolling out the OTA.

Not sure what will happen now that O2 have declined it.

On one hand I'm annoyed at O2 for not giving their customers the option of upgrading, but on the other hand I had heard that the official ICS update was bloated and slow as described. Personally I was going to rely on the inbuilt ICS functionality of disabling most of Sony's bloatware to free up RAM, but it looks like CyanogenMod will now be the only way forward which is a shame

4. Dan Melluish
    Go

Use wotanserver instead

For anyone wanting ICS, pop over to wotanserver and grab the update there. You'll have to pay a few euros but you'll get the unbranded Sony ICS update. Personally I didn't think it was that great - quite clunky (the lack of memory shows).

5. Robert Caldecott

I don't blame O2, Sony borked the ICS update

This might not be a popular view - but I can see O2's point. The ICS update *is* laggy, some apps are much slower (the dialler for example), video recording performance is shockingly bad and some games don't even run let alone perform like they did on GB. So if you update to ICS and aren't happy then who's going to take the flak? Who are you going to complain to? O2 of course. And because you can't officially downgrade to GB then O2 just couldn't take the risk. Why should O2 have to take the blame - and potentially lose customers - because Sony borked the ICS update? Remember that most people with these phones aren't techies and won't know about things like FlashTool, XDA, etc.

I'm an arc S owner and a fan of Xperia devices in general but Sony messed this up. The latest f/w (587) is a *little* better but it still doesn't match GB in terms of performance. When ICS was first released for the arc the official Sony support forum was stuffed full of people complaining so it's no wonder O2 decided against this sort of grief.

6. DevilMayCare

It's all O2

I have had several times got a Sony/Sony Ericsson/Ericsson with O2's version, and also other network providers, and as soon as you get rid of this, the phone works fine, may be a tweak or two, uninstall some items from the generic uk firmware for the phone.

I have also found that some times, if there is a update, just go to update the phone if you know a new version of firmware is out, as it appears that even if you have not had the notifiy me that there is a update, it never gets acknowledge on the phone, almost as if something has blocked this???

For a example, had a X10i, no notifications, but going to XDA-Developers and also SE web site (At the time) saying that there is a update, used the update service, went through the first few steps of checking with the servers for new versions, and suprise there is a update, even though no notification from the over air notification and the normal desktop PC Companion.

Also helps to have unlocked rootable phone, which is a problem I am having with my Xperia S, teach me to get the phone from O2.. Will resolve this one way or another

7. Leona A
    Paris Hilton

Don't Blame O2

I too have to agree with this statement, reading on the official sony xperia forum, those who have chosen to update have regretted it, or have experienced really poor performance. Things you would think they would get right, like a QWERTY Keyboard for the Pro turned into an Azerty one, just very poor over all.

The update seems to be being done in batches, by the phones SI (sales number) number, and is progressing very slowly.

I have an unlocked Xperia Pro and my SI number still isn't listed.

Thought I think, for the brave, you can head on over to the XDA forums and pickup a ROM easy enough, you will have to unlock your bootloader (instructions for doing so are there), for us Pro users, there is no Pro forum, so look under ARC.

I have not decided whether I want to update the OS yet or not, I means its laggy enough with GB if ICS makes it worse then I'll be unusable, so I think I will stay where I am.

8. big yinn
    Thumb Down

O2 have done this a number of times.

The original X10 was denied Gingerbread by O2 for ages.

My ARC was denied the ICS update from O2, so I simply installed a generic world ICS update over on XDA developers and oddly it works absolutely fine. In fact I got the latest ICS bug fix from Sony last week for it. Root it and then you can bin all the bloatware that comes with it.

I suspect O2 are just not interested in testing / updating to ICS due to the amount of work their guys need to do to "O2 it".

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like