back to article NFC tap-to-pay kit spreads its wings at IFA: Now used for audio

NFC is finally sneaking into a range of hardware, with Sony and Nokia emphasising the audio-pairing capabilities while everyone else is just sticks it in there for laughs. Nokia hasn't announced its new Windows Phone yet, there's a teaser up for next week, but it has announced that such phones will pair with HARMAN speakers …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Seems a bit useless?

DNLA, AirPlay, etc already let me pick any audio device on my network. No bonking involved.

1. Some Beggar
      Meh

Bonking things together is more intuitive and less prone to error for non-tech-savvy users.

It says that in the article. Maybe you should read it when you have five minutes spare?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

May be it's the ether's way of telling those who can't be bothered with set up, that they shouldn't have the tech? It's going to be more "fisher price" kit for the 'tards.

I'd rather see folk learning how to use something, than having things done for them.

Maybe if folk learned, hell desk wouldn't have 'tards calling because a device isn't plugged in! Maybe making the 'tards use their brains migh raise the bar for their kids, and stop the social rot.

1. Some Beggar

One of the early proposals for NFC bonking is an application for radiologists and surgeons. I'm sure they'll be delighted that you refer to them as "tards" when your stupidity inevitably turns into cancer.

2. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

@+++ath0

"DNLA, AirPlay, etc already let me pick any audio device on my network."

Pick an audio device on *your* network, yes. What about when you go to visit someone and want to show them the photos/videos you took recently, or just play some music you've discovered?

This has zero-setup, and is not confined to products from one manufacturer. You don't even have to select a device from a list, just bring your phone to it, and the connection is established.

When you see this in operation, it's effortlessly intuitive.

2. DZ-Jay

Useless...

Legions of consumers complain about the myriad buttons and complex nature of modern remote controls, yet they still use them, rather than walk over to the darn set to switch the channel.

And now, you expect them then to stand up and walk over to the other side of the room every time they want to show a picture or play a song?

Less than useless.

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Re: Useless...

The devices remain paired afterwards, so you can operate them remotely.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like