back to article Boffins create super-muscular 'Hulk' mice: Humans next

Topflight biology brains say they have identified a key protein, the furtling of which could allow massively increased muscular development and strength in human beings. Genetic manipulation of the "Grb10" compound has already been tried out in mice, producing "hyper-muscular" rodents capable of almost super-murine feats. "By …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Kevin Johnston

Super-murine

for a moment I thought we were talking Spitfires barrel-rolling over the crowds

2. nigel 15

Pics or it didn't happen

this article should contain a picture of a hulk mouse.

i refuse to believe the story otherwise. get me my hulk mouse.

3. ByeLaw101
    Happy

"You wouldn't like me when I'm squeaky"

Oh dear...

4. Great Bu

As requested.....

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvE6TLRBgqo

1. Mephistro
      Thumb Up

Re: As requested.....

Here is more prior art:

5. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Coat

But...

do they turn green when angry?

At least they do not have David Banner's clothing bill

Mine is the one with the Marvel comics in the pocket

1. Steven Roper

Re: But...

What clothing bill?

As far as I recall, David Banner usually pinched someone else's outfit off the nearest clothesline whenever he came to after a Hulk session...

6. Phil Bennett

Doesn't look that useful for adults

"Researchers examined the properties of the muscles in both adult and newborn mice and discovered that the alterations caused by loss of Grb10 function had mainly occurred during prenatal development."

So no muscles-in-a-pill from this research (or restoration of muscles for people with degenerative diseases, sadly).

1. CaptainHook

Re: Doesn't look that useful for adults

So no muscles-in-a-pill from this research

No, but 16 years from now, Russia and China are going to have some extraordinary athletes who, when given genetic tests, all seem to have Grb10 set to an unusual state, purely from good selective breeding by previous generations of athletes and nothing to do with genetic manipulation.

2. MondoMan
      Pint

Re: Doesn't look that useful for adults

Phil, read a bit further to find out that normal muscle repair processes overlap with those used in muscle formation during prenatal development, so in fact there IS hope that this will prove useful for an on/off controllable process in adults.

7. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
    Angel

Novel idea...

Novel idea as in "idea for a novel", not necessarily as in "good idea". Here goes:

Scientists breed race of super-murines in the lab. The US-Murines break out of their cages, escape into the wild and eat all the cheese. Pizza shops go out of business resulting in famine all over the western world because the only remaining fast food must be bought from American Fried Chicken. People flee to Mars but on arrival there are almost wiped out by a laser wielding nuclear tank. The tank is quickly defeated by a successful patent infringement lawsuit because it uses round wheels. Mars is found to be orbiting two suns.

*Sigh* ... back to my regular day job.

<<< Off to Saturn.

8. Smallbrainfield
    Headmaster

This is more like Captain Americas super-serum than the Hulks origin.

Hulk was created after exposure to gamma radiation.

I'm just saying, like.

9. Scott Pedigo
    Happy

Andy Kaufman's rendition of "Mighty Mouse is on the way..." is now going through my head. Thanks.

10. mrmond

Super heroes ?

I checked out the lab but something bit me.

I'm mouseman (with the incredibly large ears)

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Super heroes ?

Greetings, y'rince!

(Oh, I am so gonna get in trouble for this!)

11. Koyaanisq

Sounds safe

Safer than a dose of Gamma radiation, anyways.

Where do I sign up?

12. John Sturdy
    Boffin

So you reckon the rogue-secret-military-special-operations-organisation communities are planning to use super-mice to take on duties formerly performed by human personnel? Do you have inside information?

13. Colin Brett
    Coat

I remember ...

... news reports of mouse (or other rodent) plagues in the Outback. Holt and her team want to make these critters stronger?

Also, the Biscopea implant does the same in a GW Space Marine. Now I see it: Space Murines in powered armour.

Errr ... I think it's time to go. Mine's the one with the Rogue Trader (the only proper version of 40K) rulebook in the pocket.

Colin

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Belgian Blue?

Sounds a bit like the "Belgian Blue" breed of cattle. Are the supermice tasty?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wrong meme

All this means is that Pinky is going to start having to be more careful not to aggravate Brain.

But in reality: this is a gene alteration. It needs to be in effect in the womb to cause excessive muscle development. It's not going to be a pill you take, or a shot you get, to [b|h]ulk up.

16. Gil Grissum
    Pint

Supa Solja Serum

Sign me up for my "gene therapy". >:-)

17. Alan Brown Silver badge

um.....

.... it's believed that it was weakening of human muscles (and jaw muscles in particular) which allowed the braincase to grow in our distant ancestors.

Messing with that gene is likely to result in microencephaly or an infant with one hell of a migraine

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only relevant to genuinely healthy diets; the Type 2 Diabetes suggestion is hilarious!

This Gene hack will probably only be useful for people on a genuinely healthy diet because growing muscles often requires higher quality and higher overall food intake; the poor quality, manufactured, high carbohydrate diet which causes Type 2 Diabetes and other metabolic disorders will work against this.

The Mice probably ate much better than many people do, and this needs to be repeated in the more complex environment of a whole, modern, human body before we know for sure!

Type 2 Diabetes is probably a man created disease, and like many Modern Diseases, best fixed by eating proper food, not artificial drugs or the over-manufactured, adulterated and poisoned rubbish too many people have been told is food e.g. Corn Flakes, ready meals, MSG, High Fructose Corn Syrup etc...

1. Silverburn
      Happy

Re: Only relevant to genuinely healthy diets; the Type 2 Diabetes suggestion is hilarious!

Corn flakes are bad???

Nooooooooo...

One of life's little pleasures is a bowl of CF in the morning, using a new bottle of cold milk (with all the cream on top), and some sugar sprinkled over.

And now you've ruined it. You bastard.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Only relevant to genuinely healthy diets; the Type 2 Diabetes suggestion is hilarious!

"Corn flakes are bad???" ... "And now you've ruined it. You bastard."

Adam Savage (Mythbusters) has a relevant line for situations like this. It goes: "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hasn't anyone ever read

The Rats of NIMH ?

We are sooooo screwed if these ever get out of the lab into the wild.

AC/DC and if anyone ever breeds back the 24" wingspan "Jurassic Hornets" I am moving to Utopia Planitia, Mars.

20. skeptical i
    Devil

Hey, KITTY KITTY! Ya' want a piece of me? Come and GET IT!

The mice will play indeed.

So, if this method can be used to reverse the effects of muscle wasting in humans, one assumes that the recipients of such gift would have to do real and continuous exercise to keep the new muscle in a state of usefulness, right? In which case won't many 'Merkin couch taters simply continue to atrophy, but with a larger amount of mass?

21. Oldfogey
    Devil

We're DOOMED.

Anybody else remember the episode of Doomwatch with the giant mutant rats?

1. Mr Grumblefish

Re: We're DOOMED.

No, but I remember The Talons of Weng-Chiang. I wonder if Sydney has any Victorian era sewers left.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sharks.

Come on they've gotta try it.

23. Ryan 7

Does this mean

I can get ripped in 2 weeks?

24. SwedishCodeMaffia

Reg got it all wrong

This is actually an episode of Tom&Jerry

This topic is closed for new posts.