back to article Facebook announces crackdown on fake 'Likes'

Facebook will crack down on profiles that issue fake "Like" clicks on its site in an effort to reassure advertisers that its system works. "A Like that doesn't come from someone truly interested in connecting with a Page benefits no one," said the company on its security blog. "When a Page and fan connect on Facebook, we want …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fake likes happen everywhere

Look what happened to Assange.

1. LarsG
      Meh

What!

What they say they will do, and what happens are two different realities.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fake likes happen everywhere

The number of Facebook users will pass the number of people in the whole world in 2015.

So by 2015 there will be more Facebook users than people living on this planet and by 2017 it is estimated that Facebook users will exceed the number of people by 20%.

So this must indicate a number of fakes exist or that we have been invaded by......ALIENS!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Shock announcement...

Advertising on Facebook does not make you money simply because it is full of self obsessed people only interested in themselves and who only want to talk about themselves. It is not a buying medium.

Save your advertising budget and go elsewhere.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: Shock announcement...

Supposing you are a music band. People who "like" your band will receive updates about what gigs you are playing, and if you are playing near them, they might attend the gig. That is an example of where facebook advertising can work. Obviously it is very different to Google advertising where people search for a Ford Transit Van for example will get links to local van dealers and might buy the van from one of them.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

>"but when you consider the numbers that's a colossal amount of traffic"

Well yes, but when you consider the percentages that's a tiny amount of traffic, so what's your point?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: >"but when you consider the numbers that's a colossal amount of traffic"

That would be because the "numbers" represent a measured quantity while a percentage is just a ratio which on it's own means almost nothing.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My 1300 friends are going to be pissed

Say it's not true. All of us relied on that feature!

4. jake Silver badge

As if anyone with a brain ...

... gives a rat's ass about annonytwat "up" or "down", one/zero twaddle. Mega-corporations which place value on such drivel are probably not going to last very long in the great scheme of things.

According to facebook, I have zero "friends" because I don't use facebook. Reality is ... well, reality ;-)

Honestly, my mind boggles at the sheer stupidity of it all.

1. Chris Miller

Re: As if anyone with a brain ...

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: As if anyone with a brain ...

two whole pages of someone not giving a "rat's ass" here:

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/2/2012/04/02/Khaptain_Thumbs_down_and_Comments/#c_1515115

1. jake Silver badge

@AC 13:19 (was: Re: As if anyone with a brain ...)

Read the thread in context, from the beginning:

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2012/04/02/Khaptain_Thumbs_down_and_Comments

I think beer was more important than "thumbs" on page 1 ;-)

Unfortunately, the first post of page 2 is what it is ... I should have opened another topic.

5. Velv
    Pirate

Ironically, the Facebook announcement has just shot to the top of the most Liked pages of all time

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What's not to Like?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What's not to like

dunno, there isn't a "Don't Like" button ... sadly

1. TeeCee Gold badge
          Joke

Re: What's not to like

There are supposed to be "Like" and "Dislike" buttons, but they couldn't fit the "Dis" bit of the text on the second one. Having two "Like" buttons seemed redundant, so they dropped one.

6. mark l 2 Silver badge

places like Fiverr.com sell 1000s of likes for just a few quid, i don't see how they can stop it as its not illegal just against the fb T&Cs which don't mean squat in the real world. If they suspend those fake accounts they will just create more, i suspect they probably have unused fake accounts and a large group of friends attached already sat there waiting to be used when needed

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

buy likes?

You don't need to buy 1000 likes for a few quid. For a few bucks on FB's own advertising, you just check the box 'target my ad at morons who click to like everything' (ok, I am paraphrasing, but you'll know it when you see it in the options) and hey presto, within a day or two you've got 1000+ likes from people all over the sub continent who appear from their profiles to be liking about 100 things a day and have almost ridiculously diverse tastes from death metal to the nolan sisters to flower arranging.

FB has been busted. It's a sham, their only income is essentially selling fake 'likes' because everyone sees these buttons everywhere and thinks their site has to have one. Real people rarely click 'like' even on things they actually like, and so FB offers a way to bung them a few bucks and get 1000+ likes no questions asked. Everyone wins.

It is only a matter of time before everyone has discovered themselves that having a FB button, even with lots of likes, produces no noticeable benefit. I think we're almost at the point. Once that happens, FB advertising falls off a cliff, they fumble around with charging users for the service, freetards abandon it en masse, and the business shrivels or gets taken over for a bargain basement price, if they're lucky.

Banks who invested and underwrote the shares lose billions. The taxpayer is shaken down for even more cash so that bankers can continue to fund their bonuses and drink the best champagne.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: buy likes?

Likes only good to subscribe to the news of the page in my opinion as a like-r or to reach people with those news as an owner of a page. The rest is not very conclusive

1. This Side Up
          Joke

Re: buy likes?

Can Likes be exchanged on a Like-for-Like basis?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: buy likes? @cap'n

"Once that happens, FB advertising falls off a cliff, they fumble around with charging users for the service, freetards abandon it en masse, and the business shrivels or gets taken over for a bargain basement price, if they're lucky."

Then it must be the perfect merger candidate for Yahoo! Wait for the announcement.

2. Displacement Activity

More buy likes...

> places like Fiverr.com sell 1000s of likes for just a few quid

That's so weird that I had to look it up:

http://fiverr.com/arunmaster/give-you-50-facebook-likes

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I find the 1% figure laughably low for fake 'likes'. Intuition would suggest that the figure would be much larger.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Zuckerburgers hate for the masses is beggining to crystalise

truly an evil man

9. Da Weezil
    FAIL

Its rather sad that anyone gives the "Like" Bullshit any credibility at all, especially companies that are increasingly pandering to this.

In fact its kinda sad that anyone gives all the Arsefaceplace type social networking bullshit any credibility.

But I guess researchers working on the Jeremy Kyle show need somewhere to start research for the next car crash TV show

10. ZenCoder

Facebook is fine when used properly.

Everyone on my Facebook is either an actual offline friend, family or someone I went to a school with.

I don't play any of the games, block app requests.

When people spam their feed too much I just set it not to show me their posts.

I am fully aware that once I post something its out there forever and act accordingly.

I can't really see how its ever going to generate enough revenue to justify its current share prices, but the sites pretty useful.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Facebook is fine when used properly.

"I can't really see how its ever going to generate enough revenue to justify its current share prices, but the sites pretty useful."

Funnily enough, no mater how quickly the share price continues to slide, that statement will remain true.

11. Old Handle
    Thumb Up

Great!

The company said it won't permit the sale of Likes under any circumstances.

So that means no more "Like us on Facebook for a free..." ads, right?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The solution is called "ShareMeNot 2.02"

http://sharemenot.cs.washington.edu/

Dont even see the bloody silly buttons

13. Glenn Charles
    Devil

WHAT?

Why, I'll never fake "like" you again.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like