back to article O2 looses legal torpedo at Everything Everywhere 4G monopoly

Mobile phone operator O2 will appeal against Ofcom's decision to allow a rival firm to launch superfast broadband services later this year using its existing network capabilities, according to media reports. O2 has written to the telecoms regulator to announce its intention to appeal Ofcom's decision to the Competition Appeals …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shut up O2

You're lucky the regulator has no teeth, you'd have bled out by now.

3. Fuzzy Moose
    FAIL

Oh look...

Once again the consumer is punished because of legal "willy waving" by tech companies.

Will I bother buying a LTE phone now? No fucking chance as the UK won't have a viable LTE network for at least another 2-3 years now.

1. YetAnotherPasswordToRemeber
      Unhappy

Re: Oh look...

We still don't have a viable 3G network yet, so what makes you think LTE will be viable in 2 - 3 years

1. caffeine addict

Sod 3G. I'd be happy to have ANY signal from Orange.

I live in a decent sized village in Cambridgeshire (with it's own world famous hospital - you know the one) and none of the networks can provide reliable signal.

2. HMB

I've had a great HSDPA connection (3) for around a year now. I even had little trouble streaming from Spotify when I'm driving down the M1 & M6 in my car from Birmingham to Leeds and from Birmingham to the Lake District.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but I've got good 3.5G experiences in many places all over.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

O2 coverage

Dear O2

Stop faffing with new fancy toys that whilst great on paper will be crap if/when you get around to sorting it out

Instead why dont you consider making a viable 3G network, you know, one that actually works in most of the country. you are supposed to be one of the biggest operators in the UK, well act like it and sort yourselves out!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

bull

We are going to see a lot of talk now about how deplorable / wonderful the situation of the Customer is going to be now, with the launch of this fabulous 3.5G.

It's so f... nice they all suddenly care so f... much about me, the Customer, that I get a fair choice to select who's gonna get to suck my wallet dry with their 3.5G, 5GB monthly cap, 70 squid p.m. lightning fast*, widespread**, 21st century***, all-embracing**** shite. There's nothing in the world I want more, but to watch ad-popups across a shitty youtube vid on a 3.5 inch screen, or a 7 inch tablet screen.

wrong, tablet screen + a 100 squid usb dongle, dongling. Unless you are an A-fan ;)

1. leexgx

Re: bull

better then USA calling HSPA+ fake 4G when its only little Bit faster then HSDPA (Real world use as all the UMTS or HSDPA traffic messes with the HSPA+ signal so ends up most of the time only been 0.5-3MB faster then HSPA+)

4G (LTE or defunt Wimax) is Generation not Speed (even thought the mobile networks in the USA have bulled the ITU into calling it speed not Tech Generation jump)

6. BamBam
    Facepalm

Looses?

Am I the only one bothered by this?

1. James 100

Re: Looses?

I hope so, they are turning loose, i.e. unleashing, a weapon. Nothing wrong with that as a headline.

Bad news for the public, though: perhaps O2 could try thinking about how to deliver a better service, rather than 'competing' in court? Maybe pool resources with EE to give all their customers a better network, or get on with preparations for delivering their own LTE service once the spectrum is freed up (beefing up the backhaul, having the power and tower capacity for the new equipment...) - rather than lawyering up to make sure "if we can't serve customers yet, we'll make sure nobody else can either".

2. Blue eyed boy
      Thumb Up

For once we have correct usage of the verb "loose" with its original meaning, not as an (incorrect) synonym for "lose". Full marks for El Reg's headline writer!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

O2 are such loosers.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Everything Everywhere more aspirational...

...than actual.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

1. HMB

Re: Agree with Ofcom for once

Interesting analysis.

It certainly sounds like legal wrangling between the companies has done a lot of harm in pushing the auction back further and further.

Would have been neat if they could have been made to hand over that spectrum they had to flog now. Then it could have been less of a monopoly with 3 being able to do 4G too.

We all should have had 4G earlier.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hilarious

So the network that has the worst 3G coverage, and has already been allowed to refarm it's old 900Mhz band for 3G use is now complaining that a network that has invested more in 3G coverage and has already built much of the infrastructure for 4G is taking a lead?

There was nothing to stop o2 from requesting the license for their own spectrum to be varied - their only motivation is motivated by the desire to slow down or stop their customers seeing just how far behind the rest o2 actually are.

They need to stop whinging and invest in closing the gap between their 84% 3G coverage and the 98/99% 3G coverage of Three / EE.

1. leexgx

Re: hilarious

i found O2 around whrer i am they been deploying loads of new 3G masts (guess its Due to the 3G900 as 3G it self does not like Overlapping masts unlike 2G networks but as O2 now have 2 3g Bands now they can fill in the gaps with an 900mast and it not interfere with the 1800masts that are close by)

as orange and T-mobile have mast sharing now my orange phone now works in 2 places it never worked before (never really had an issue with Orange coverage for the most part)

really depends where you live (3/T-mobile/NBNL masts 3G 99% coverage is outdoors and in Greenbelt land only, gets very random lucky if the Phone will be still on its own network once you get indoors most likely be roaming on Orange 2g network, i found my t-mobile phone most of the time on Oranges 3g network or Drop to 2g if it supports it {3uk no 2g, uses 2g Orange roaming but its Very unreliable})

10. Gordon 10
    FAIL

What Ofcom should be doing

Is refusing any license changes from anyone for any band until they agree to submit to the 4G auction rules and bring these idiots around the table (without lawyers) until they thrash out a deal.

1. HMB

Re: What Ofcom should be doing

Because that's worked so well so far?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tho a 4G monopoly is bad, at least there WILL BE a 4G network.

EE's headstart should be nothing more than a kick up the arse for the laggards, showing them up as being backwards (a little like their customers).

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spend wisely

4G eh?? Despite having a strong signal, I can't get a single web page to load on o2 gprs. 3G is good in the cities, but please spend a little on 2 / 2.5g first.

From this performance, I won't be spending any more on o2 data services.

1. HMB

Re: Spend wisely

I don't get this, you want your network to spend more money on obsolete services? You don't work for them do you? :P

My parents live out in the sticks, when I visit them I get a great HSDPA connection regardless of their remoteness.

Why not dream a little higher?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Spend wisely

TBH I'd rather they use their 3G@900Mhz licence for 3G than 2G. I don't find their 2G coverage that bad even in the wilderness outside the cities.

13. Richard Morris
    Mushroom

Deregulate frequencies

Why doesn't OFCOM let all mobile companies use there bandwith for whatever service they want to, be it TACS/ETACS/2G/3G/3.5G/4G.

Then limit the length of all mobile phone contracts to a maximum of 1 month, for those who want handsets with contracts, the carriers can still provide them with some from of credit agreement.

This way it will promote competition with carriers having to offer the best service at the best price to retain customers.

14. Tyson Key
    FAIL

Stupid Luddites

It's 2012, and O2 still haven't deployed damn *EDGE*, or figured out how to carry voice calls reliably in some parts of the country. (I'm in a small town near York). I have little faith in their ability to deliver an LTE network before the heat death of the universe.

1. leexgx

Re: Stupid Luddites

again depends where you are O2 have some Edge masts on the newer ones (but personally i find its Unreliable EDGE compared to GPRS from my own use yes its faster but its only 2-3x faster then GPRS when it Works)

i have Never seen EDGE on Orange (ok i lie i seen it 3 times for about 10 seconds) i prefer if they just stick with GPRS as like above i tend to have issues with EDGE connection (blackberry on GPRS battery life 3-4 days, when on 3G maybe day or 2 and soem times issues with dropped calls)

1. Tyson Key
        Meh

Re: Stupid Luddites

Good point.

I've found that one also has to disable the use of their insufferable proxies that break mobile sites using complex JavaScript, or cookies, in order to do anything useful on their pre-paid data APNs. Using Opera Mini also sometimes helps, as a workaround.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like