back to article Cheer up, Samsung: Tokyo judge bins Apple's sync patent claim

A Tokyo court took a few minutes today to rule that Samsung's Galaxy gear does not infringe an Apple software patent. It hands the South Korean giant a small win after its $1bn thrashing by Apple in an epic US mobile phone patent trial that concluded last week. Just one patent was being contested in Japan this week, and it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only in America (and possibly the fruity Germans) would Apple win. Surprise!

Yet you still hear the 'tards claiming it to be everything other than a complete sham.

1. Steve Todd
      FAIL

This was a different patent from those considered in the California case

It was about content synchronisation, which I suspect is Google original code, and Apple's patent was ruled not to be infringed rather than not valid.

Nothing to do with it being in America or not or racial bias (the Japanese aren't fond of the Koreans in case you know nothing if the regional politics). Now pipe down and get back under your bridge.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Trollface

Re: This was a different patent from those considered in the California case

"Now pipe down and get back under your bridge."

W O W, the kids are revolting!

As soon as a negative comment toward apple is made, truth or not, out they come.

You will not assimilate me.

1. Steve Todd
          Stop

You do nothing BUT come up with negative comments about Apple, few of them with any real merrit. Here you are attempting to use a completely different case to prove that the California verdict was unfair or wrong. There IS no such linkage. Now back where you belong.

2. Observer1959

Plus Apple is a top seller in Japan, they just LOVE their Apple gear and prove it with their hard earned cash.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Bitch Slap

First the Netherlands, then the UK and now Japan. The plaintiff is always Apple. And now she been bitch slapped. Yo' muther f**ker.

2. Thomas 18
    Thumb Down

Swings

and Roundabouts.

Do these companies ever even pay out? or do they just keep appealing and counter claiming forever.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

again

and again,outside usa flapple loose again,even the "fruity" germans threw most of flapples claims out at appeal stage.

so far i reckon thats about 20 cases outside usa that flapple have lost v one they have won in usa.

there is still some hope left for humanity.

i still predict flapple will be almost non-existant by 2020 at the latest.

once that stock price starts to slip,flapple have had it.

no gates or tit cook will be able to save them,no-one will ever trust flapple not to try and stab them in back.

heres hoping that all parts suppliers will take the hit and just refuse to deal with flapple or its chinese "partners"

his is why i suspect foxcon is trying to buy into sharps,to get hold of some screen tech.

no screens,no ram fabs,no cpu fabs in america and not many quality fabs in china.

dont care how "innovative" flapple are,no use if you cannot buy in parts to make devices and or noone will licence their ip to make it work properly.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: again

this one made the child in me surface.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I thought the schools were back, no?

3. Martin
      WTF?

Flapple?

Even if it was funny the first time (which it wasn't), it became pretty damn irritating by the eighth time it was used.

4. g e

That was my first thought about Foxconn/Hon Hai's (?) interest in Sharp.

Sharp are another co that failed on yield for retina display panels, though aren't they? I thought (IIRC) only Sammy could get the yield & quality for those, ironically.

Personally I give apple until the end of the Xmas season 2013 before they embark on the downward slope unless they actually invent something of their own (meaning technology not different combinations of other peoples' technology). We'll see, anyway.

1. Observer1959

You mean like when the first iPhone hit the market? Yeah it looked and handled like a combination of the best elements of RIM, Nokia, Motorola and Microsoft at that time. Sheesh Apple just doesn't know how to innovate. Also remember when the first Mac and iMac came on the market? Again they just looked like all the rest. We could go and on, what about the iPod.....

4. Tony Paulazzo
    Gimp

>But in the biggest court case against Sammy... in the US.<

Yes but everythings bigger in the US, Hollywoods sense of entitlement, illegal wars (or why prohibition doesn't work), its people (the ones not on TV), the myopic view that the USA = The World, etc etc etc...

Oh, and I'm not saying Samsung didn't copy Apple (they did), just as Apple copied others. It's just not a big deal.

5. wayee1

please

Samsung should stop selling at that silly country .. while I have freedom for choosing in my country im happy

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: please

No - Samsung should just buyout foxconn - just to piss off Apple :)

1. g e
        Holmes

That would be funny although apple would make a counterbid for sure and that would be worse if they got hold of Foxconn (which I suspect they already have, in the boardroom).

Would make big sense for Sammy to own their own assembler though, given the range of stuff they produce and the range of stuff Foxconn is tooled to produce.

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

If only it were that simple, but I believe the law in China still states that Chinese companies (i.e. Foxconn) must have the majority share (i.e. > 50%) owned by Chinese nationals. Whilst this means that Samsung wouldn;t be able to buy out Foxconn, it also means that Apple wouldn't. For green-washing purposes, I suspect neither company would wnat to either.

1. hayseed
          Facepalm

Foxconn is based in Taiwan.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Foxconn's headquarters are in Taiwan, their manufacturing is based in mainland China. Admittedly, the whole China/Taiwan thing is a bit of a political grey area. I believe Beijing still refer to it as the Taiwan Autonomous Prefecture and consider it to be part of China. I'd suspect it would still be extremely difficult for a company even as powerful as Apple to make a move for it.

2. Captain DaFt

Yeah, the way things are going, the other company's will let Apple have its sandbox (USA) to play in, and will cheerfully market to the rest of the world.

(2015, New Apple slogan: USA! The 'A' stands for Apple!)

1. Spearchucker Jones
        Go

And the US stands for Un-Servicable.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like