back to article Huawei picks Android for new tablets and smartphones

Huawei is betting on Android with its launch of four new smartphones and two tablets all running Google's OS, albeit with a customizable interface dubbed "Emotion" that the Chinese networking giant is opening up for customer's suggestions. "We have made our choice," the company's decidedly non-Chinese vice president Lars- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds good

From experience with the Ascend G300, Huawei have probably the best software engineers and every change over stock android was a positive - they know how to do it right. This is in stark contrast to pretty much every other manufacturer where AOSP based ROMs are usually a fair bit better overall than stock. It will be interesting to see what they can do with a full custom UI.

1. Andy ORourke
      Happy

Re: Sounds good

Is the ascend any good then? I saw the reviews but you can't really trust a Journo can you (sorry El Reg)

I'm considering eBaying the iPhone so long as I can find a 1/2 decent phone that I can tether the iPad to occasionally.

Not much point carrying a £400+ phone round to make a few calls, send a few texts and do a bit of tethering

Your mini-review would be appreciated :-)

1. Soruk
        Go

I've got one, fantastic bit of kit for the money. Even better that Tesco's clubcard deal is still on so if you've got enough vouchers do the voucher exchange and get the phone at around half price!

I rooted mine last night (a download from Modaco is all it took) and used a freezer app to hide the Vodafone and Arsebook crap they preload, and the phone feels even faster now.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Thumb Up

Haven't hacked mine yet but I like it - big and brilliant screen, same res as my ASUS Netbook! Beats off most other smartphone screens for clarity.

Most places that sell it for a ton insist on forcing an extra £10 pre-pay on you. You can buy it outright from Vodaphoney themselves and their current sim-only deal (£10.50/month for 500MB+nattering for 1 year) seems a far better offer than any of the two-year bundles that give you a phone.

It'd be nice if the battery lasted longer, but then I'm over-doing it as it's new and I'm still app-sploring. Be better when I settle down and actually use it as a phone. Standard micro-USB means I can charge it anywhere anyway; with cables at £1 each from flEaBay I can leave one at home, one at work, one in the car, etc...

2. Matt 21

Might want to consider the Acer Liquid Glow.

2. Ilgaz

Why reinvent wheel?

It will sound weird to non Android users but Chinese took over the ui scene on Android long time ago.

Go launcher is undisputed king and new comer TSF shell manages to sell beta version for $20 which muted everyone.

Huawei should have licensed/ customized existing things instead of going with their own.

3. Shagbag

But I keep hearing Android is 'Dead' after Apple v Samsung

Why are Huawei making this decision? Hasn't anyone told them Android is dead now that the Jury favoured - sorry, favored - Apple? They must be really, really stupid at Huawei. They must all be idiots who don't read newspapers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But I keep hearing Android is 'Dead' after Apple v Samsung

I hear a really loud "whoosh" noise right about now :P

2. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: But I keep hearing Android is 'Dead' after Apple v Samsung

I guess some people don't get the humour without a smiley icon ...

4. Alastair Dodd 1
    Thumb Up

suprised that after Apple Vs Samsung

Samsung isn't suing Huwei as the Ascend P1 looks very similar to the Galaxy II. Oh thats right some people sue, others innovate and evolve (at more than the snails pace of the iphone)

1. Craigness

Re: suprised that after Apple Vs Samsung

The 3 holes in the base and the plastic bar across the top of the rear suggest a certain amount of influence from the Transformer Prime HD.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Huawei To Go

6. mhenriday
    Thumb Up

Can anybody link to a serious test

of this or other Huawei kit of this type ? My impression from what I've read about Huawei's networks kit is that this is a very serious outfit with excellent engineers from many countries ; it would interesting to learn more about their consumer products....

Henri

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like