back to article Sony unwraps James Bond's new Droidphone

Sony ushered in a fresh range of smartphones at IFA this week, as well as its first Xperia tablet. The Japanese firm's latest flagship smartie - the Xperia T - hits the UK market with product placement in the forthcoming Bond flick Skyfall. The handset's supposed licence to thrill comes through a Qualcomm S4-Plus 1.5GHz dual- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DaLo

Xperia V?

They also announced the Xperia V which is similar to the 'T' but is dust and waterproof:

Speca

4.3” HD Reality Display powered by the Mobile BRAVIA Engine 2 for razor sharp clarity

13 MP fast capture camera with full HD video recording.

Latest generation 1.5GHz dual core processor for improved battery life, fast performance and ultra sharp graphics

Easy connectivity with One-touch ‘One-touch’ enabled by NFC

Clear audio+ for the highest level of sound quality

PlayStation™ Certified

Android version 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich). Will be upgraded to Android version 4.1 (Jelly Bean) following launch.

Highest levels of dust and water resistance in a smartphone (IP55/57+) ensure protection from the effects of immersion up to 1m for 30 minutes

MHL connectivity for viewing content on a big screen without the need for a charger

1. Caleb Cox (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Xperia V?

Ah, thanks for highlighting dude. This Xperia V will not be launched in the UK, though.

I guess that's why it was omitted from the press release I received.

1. DaLo

That's a shame I hope they launch it at some point - a waterproof high end smartphone is what I'm after.

I'd be surprised if an international version doesn't appear shortly.

1. ArmanX

I'm waiting for a truly waterproof camera - completely sealed. No jacks, no ports, no battery cover, just one solid piece. It charges wirelessly, and should come with a waterproof stereo bluetooth headset. Possibly with some sort of magnetic stylus so it can be used underwater, but that's just wishful thinking. The tech exists, but I think I'm going to be waiting a long time...

1. Dave 15

Is there really none available? That seems surprising. What specs would you need for the camera? I am sure it would be very possible to create one of these (all be it at a cost)

2. SiempreTuna

It is absolutely insane that we all happily buy really expensive outdoor kit, that's actually designed to fail when taken outdoors.

And as long as we continue to buy this stuff, there's absolutely no incentive for phone companies to make their mobile phones fit for purpose. Think of all the lost sales from phones that got exposed to rain - or just get taken oudoors in places like the tropics where there's 90% humidity.

2. Paul 135

It makes no sense not to launch the Xperia V in the UK. Definitely the most stylish and most impressive spec-wise and the one I reckon would sell most (most people don't like excessively large handsets >4.5").

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Promises promises promises

Updates updates updates.

2. Pedigree-Pete
    Coat

New Sony Droidphone/Tablet

Oh no! It's go rounded corners..

Going....

1. Bodhi

Re: New Sony Droidphone/Tablet

Hehe, I would LOVE to see Apple start on Sony. I don't think things would go particularly well for the Fruity Firm......

1. toadwarrior

Aside from the moronic idea that it's the same because it has rounded corners, why should apple fear sony?

Sony is in worse financial shape than samsung and isn't exactly in the best shape for taking on apple (or probably anyone else) so I doubt apple would be concerned.

1. Bodhi

1) They're the company Jobs openly admitted Apple took most of their inspiration from.

2) I'm gathering they have a patent or thousand, considering the amount of innovations that have come from their labs over the last 30 or so years.

3) They control a hell of a lot of media with Sony Pictures and Music, and could make life quite difficult for Apple to access these if required.

4) Looking at their history I gather they have quite a large legal team.

Judging by the fact they are the only Driod manufacturer they haven't started legal proceedings against, I can only gather Apple agree.

1. Great Bu

Also:

5) Ninjas.

2. Wang N Staines

Wonder when the iPhone will start to copy the large screen size?

3. ratfox
      Coat

In before rounded corner jokes…

Argh, too late.

1. Pedigree-Pete
        Happy

Re: In before rounded corner jokes…

Tee Hee!

3. Silverburn
    Happy

Missing features:

- remote control of armour-plated 7 series

- finger print scanning

- tazer

- plastic explosives

- lock-picking antenna

- ultrasonic glass shattering thingy

- facial scanner, even when subject is 1/2 a kilometer away

- high speed Mi6 datafeed

- an actual phone

And no Apple, "Q" invented these, not you, so f* off.

4. Simon B
    FAIL

High spec camera - check, high resolution camera - check, xenon flash - FAIL.

1. Dave 15

high spec/high res camera?

Not a check really as Nokia have a 41mpix one out there setting the benchmark for genuinely high spec/res cameras

Of course to get anything like reasonable optics a certain amount of bulge is required to accommodate the camera and perhaps a larger objective would be nice (though the 808 does incredible things with the lens it has.

5. Steve Foster
    FAIL

XPeria S a 20" tablet? - According to the BBC, it is...

"The Japanese firm unveiled a new 20-inch (51cm) Android-powered device which it said was "splash-proof" and thinner than its previous models."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19414357

1. Shagbag

Re: XPeria S a 20" tablet? - According to the BBC, it is...

Typical BBC tech report.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: XPeria S a 20" tablet? - According to the BBC, it is...

It's going to make an awfully big splash ;)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like