back to article Samsung readies handheld releases for Windows 8

At the Mobile Unpacked event in Berlin last night, Samsung showed off its Windows 8 handheld devices that appear in its new Ativ range of computing products that all feature touchscreen functionality. Samsung Ativ tablet The Windows RT Ativ Tab is a 10.1in fondleslab with a 1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 dual-core processor with 2GB …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ativ? Let me guess Vita in reverse?

Now inspired by mirrors.

1. Shagbag

Nice hardware but I'll pass on the software

Sure, I'll use Windows at work and on my home laptop, but after 6 months with a WinPho7 I'm yet to be convinced of the merits of Metro on anything larger.

2. JetSetJim
      Coat

Re: Ativ? Let me guess Vita in reverse?

Better than Elppa, at least...

3. npo4
      Thumb Up

Re: Ativ? Let me guess Vita in reverse?

Spot on.

"Samsung introduces “ATIV”, the new brand for its Windows-based devices. ATIV, the reverse order of the word VITA, meaning “Life” in Latin, is a pledge by Samsung to make everyone’s life extraordinary with excitement."

- Samsung Press Release

2. h4rm0ny

No trackpad, phones for gorillas

The phone looks nice apart from the fact that it's the size of the monolith from 2001. Why phones that size sell, I have no idea. But the hybrid? It would be great - if it had a trackpad! I've looked through the Win8 hybrids that Samsung, Toshiba and Sony have revealed at the event and they all seem to have this mistaken idea that just because the screen is touch-capable, that they can forgo a trackpad. I can't be the only one that thinks this is a mistake. I mean the Surface has a trackpad so I hope at least some of the OEM ones will still have these.

Also, the Samsung presentation was hillarious in all the wrong ways. My favourite line from it: "Okay, so we've heard a lot of shit about sharing, tonight..."

1. NumptyScrub

Re: No trackpad, phones for gorillas

quote: "The phone looks nice apart from the fact that it's the size of the monolith from 2001. Why phones that size sell, I have no idea."

They sell because large touchscreens are easier to use than small touchscreens. Also some of us (myself included) actually have massive gorilla hands and a 5" phone is not only perfectly comfortable in use, but easier to type on than those tiny Apple sized thingies :)

Some of my female friends have also gone for 4+" phones as they prefer the screen "clarity" (read: better resolution) to smaller models, so it apparently strikes a chord with content consumers who want more than just a phone from their device.

I have absolutely no doubt that manufacturers will continue to make small form factor phones though, since that is also a market segment in its own right ;)

3. JDX Gold badge

The hybrid

Sounds expensive. Very expensive.

But simply by allowing SD expansion, W8 scores a massive point over iPad. Another for allowing USB connectivity... I can see in the business world this could prove very popular.

1. h4rm0ny

Re: The hybrid

Don't forget actual separate user accounts!

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

+1 for separate user accounts. This is what has stopped me replacing the "general surfing and reading mail" laptop in the living room with a tablet. A tablet would be neater, but as both my wife and I currently use the laptop, I'd need to buy two tablets to replace it, and the total cost of these would far exceed a good laptop.

1. Anonymous Coward 15
          Paris Hilton

Ahem. Remember to clear the history?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Remember to clear the history

Not everyone uses webmail, some of us still use IMAP!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I thought many businesses disabled USB ports and removable storage for security reasons.

How does Exchange remote wipe work with SD cards?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Most businesses disable usb and removable storage for most users - not all users!

I'd assume and hope there were policies to cover all you mention.

3. RICHTO
      Mushroom

The biggest plus point is that it runs Windows. The second is that it includes Office....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hope they get decent-sized phones as well as behemoths!

I don't have the biggest hands and a 4-inch screen is about all I want.

5. Daz555

Samsung had better watch those rounded corners!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'd say they should worry about everything else but that, the jury rejected the rounded corner design claims.

But now that you mention it that keyboard looks awfully familiar.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Oooh...

Me Like, been looking for a new phone for a long time, Apple is becoming too Evil for my liking, high time they had so serious competition.

But don't Apple hold the Patent on a Rectangle?

1. 1Rafayal

Re: Oooh...

Apple holds many patents. For instance, they own the patents on the following:

Water

Door handles

Carpets

Manatees

Horse shoes

Belgium

Corduroy

Matt Edmunson

The annoying drunks that live in a park near my house.

But, back on topic, I think I will wait and see how these devices do before committing to a new tablet. I am very eager to see how a tablet/slate with a Core i5 will do on the battery frontier, and to see how heavy it may turn out to be.

1. Richard 81

Re: Core i5

Never mind the battery, what's the heat output going to be like?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

There's no call for that kind of bad language. Or didn't you know that 'Belgium' is the most offensive word in the galaxy?

1. dogged

I seem to be having terrible trouble with my lifestyle.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

well, it is a Thursday...

2. 1Rafayal

sorry, I will replace Belgium with "Flavored Vitamin Water" instead

7. Noname.c

Rounded

I thought rounded corners owned by that uber hipster corporation?!

1. Anonymous Coward 15

Re: Rounded

They're far too mainstream to be hipster, shirley?

1. h4rm0ny

Re: Rounded

"They're far too mainstream to be hipster, shirley?"

The genius of Apple's marketing is to present something as elite and special, when everyone and their dog has one.

8. mark l 2 Silver badge

if its running on an ARM cpu surely its Windows RT not Windows 8 as the article keeps refering to it as?

Or is the ARM version Windows 8 RT? Which would be even more confusing for customers who aren't clued up as to the difference between x86 and arm versions of Windows

1. RICHTO
      Mushroom

For those sort of customers it wont matter - they will buy the cheapest one - with Windows RT - and pay the app store tax for everything that they need. Which is great for Microsoft....

And of course for applications companies - Microsoft have a far better record on security than Android / IOS, and this will mean that piracy will likely be much lower.....

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Confusing? I think that must be the idea.

"Windows 8" can mean the phone, or the Intel desktop, or the ARM version. "Windows RT" apparently means tiles mode, also called "Modern UI", and only software from the Windows app store where Microsoft takes a big share of the price. On an ARM Windows device that's all that you get.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like