back to article Indian gov ponders restrictions on Chinese networking gear

The Indian government is set to become the latest global power to restrict the use of Chinese-built telecoms and internet infrastructure technology, in what could be another blow to the ambitions of Huawei and ZTE as they look to grow abroad. The country’s telecoms minister, Kapil Sibal, is currently considering the findings …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Thomas 18
    Thumb Down

Security, encryption and surveillance technologies

Uncle Sam is the last person I'd recruit to develop encryption for me, they don't exactly have a great track record (limiting key lengths, demanding 'spare keys', developing industrial sabotage viruses etc).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Security, encryption and surveillance technologies

Tell me about it, I almost laughed out when I saw the US listed. When it comes to China, you think yeah maybe they'd put something in there that shouldn't be there. When it comes to the US you KNOW they will have.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trust

If your own national security is so important to you, then perhaps you should trust no-one. Certainly not China, but they are by no means a special case.

3. Anonymous Coward 101

Is any networking kit actually >made< outside China?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Huawei and ZTE couldn't immediately be reached for comment

Something to do with Chinese firewalls?

5. dssf

Embedded... EVERYwhere....

"The report therefore recommended that imports from China be restricted to hardware such as mobile phones, laptops and USB dongles, while technology in key strategic areas such as telecoms and broadband infrastructure, security and cloud computing be obtained from other countries."

Hell, any traveling business people may someday find those devices "using a back channel to call home" if the devices go to the manufacturing country. Unless India plans on vetting chips and boards and their build blueprints, and unless India (or any country for that matter) has the technical prowess and speed to check every chip and mobo, then it is almost pointless. Maybe they can screen gear once it is unpacked, but that would be a LOT of testing. And, STILL, there is no guarantee that a chip or circuit or switch or other component doesn't have multiple, undisclosed functions embedded.

I suspect that even with VPNs, espionage chips could easily bypass them and send on a remote port. Unless the laptop or phone has. Built-in IDS and firewalls to report in real time the true clear text of anything trying to transit the phone will anyone be qualified to feel comfortable. Yet, another reason for Android phones to be rootable by default, and be rooted with ease, not complication. All users of ANY electronics deserve the right to know if they've been buggged. Of course, if one really is breaking a material law, there could be repercussions, even if one is a traveler and is using VPN in a country that bans VPN, even if the reality is that is its standard faire for any self-respecting individual or corporation or government to use VPN and other tools to try to assure privacy in communications.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like