back to article Mobe-maker flogs self-designed phones ... to your KIDS

UK mobile phone company OwnFone is pitching a £55 handset which can only call up to 12 pre-programmed numbers, betting that the ability to create your own buttons and colour scheme will blind users to the price. OwnFone is a brand spun out by CyCell, which already provides customised handsets locked to the Vodafone network for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Thomas 18
    FAIL

Yeah that's a good idea, lets have a massive button that calls the police as soon as it's pressed and is right next to the 'call mummy' button.

1. Bill Ray (Written by Reg staff)

Re: 999

To be fair to the designer one does have to press the "emergency call" button three times before a 999 call is made, but other pocket-dialling would seem inevitable.

Bill.

2. historymaker118
    Meh

A good idea...

However it seems to be horribly overpriced for something that is limited to only 12 numbers, and has no other features. Perhaps at a lower price they could have mass market appeal for those looking for a disposable mobile, but I don't think there's much of a market for it currently.

3. Peter 20
    Thumb Down

On Contract?

Nice idea, but it looks like the only options are contract. I'd buy this as a disposeable emergency phone for family members if there was a PAYG option. But I wouldn't pay a monthly fee for it.

4. annodomini2
    FAIL

Much cheaper PAYG options

When you can get something like a Nokia 100 on PAYG for £10-20, why bother?

All it gets you is the locked down nature, which for most is a hindrance rather than a help most of the time.

1. ChrisInAStrangeLand

Re: Much cheaper PAYG options

There are two things going for this phone. One, it's a simple device that was originally created for old people with dementia. Second, a larger battery could *potentially* keep this thing going for a month.

Where they fell down is the battery, 3 days standby is absolute bullshit for an emergency device. My Motofone weighed 68g and lasted two weeks, and it had a lot more crap (eink display, keys, plastic structure) taking up space that could have been used for battery.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like