back to article TheTrainline revamps security handling after glitch

TheTrainline.com, the UK website for buying train tickets, has revamped its procedures for dealing with security reports following an incident where a security bug meant that customers could be invited to submit credit card details over an insecure link. The flaw had an effect only when users made an error in submitting their …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom Chiverton

You mean you still use that **** site ?

http://traintimes.org.uk/ is quicker, easier, and more useful as it shows you, for instance, that if you leave an hour later it's (much) cheaper.

2. bluesxman
    Thumb Down

Too bad ...

... they didn't take the opportunity to revamp their god awful train search engine as well.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Single fares could be cheaper

@ Tom: However traintimes.org.uk doesn't seem to point out that single tickets could be cheaper... so you could end up spending a lot more on a return journey if you rely on that site alone.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

B2B vs B2C

...qjump was always better than thetrainline, as it let you search by fare. Thetrainline now has a penchant for adding 'optional' insurance to your journey, and charging you for the privilege of paying by card.

Funny how all this gubbins doesn't happen on my corporate trainline - it's an irritating exploitation of consumers and just serves to show thetrainline as the sharks they are.

I would be really grateful if someone could explain to me the £10 admin fee for a ticket refund, when the ticket has not been issued, and you apply for the refund online (i.e. with no intervention). They must really have an atrociously inefficient backoffice.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Tom

Tried using it recently? My guess is no as it shows times and prices in a matrix, and has done for some time.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE: B2B vs B2C

The difference between qjump and trainline (which i found out the hard way) is that while qjump was by fare, trainline was by availability. So on qjump you could see a £10 ticket, try to buy it, wait a few seconds..... oh, it's not available. Ok, try the £20 one....again, not available. £30?..... etc etc. On the trainline you would only see what was available right then.

Totally agree about the insurance thing though, that really annoys me too.

7. Tom Ward
    Thumb Up

National Express

Has anyone here tried the new National Express East Coast ticket booker?

http://www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com/en/Travel-Information/

Web 2.0 to the max! Oh yeah, and it's actually rather good...

8. John Matthews

they also charge for postage now

I stopped using thetrainline when they also started charging for the postage to send you your tickets. Now use the FGW site which doesn't, nor for using credit cards. However it suffers from the same problem as ttl where you have to go through about 5 screens confirming the same details for each ticket you buy (eg. yes, I still understand the terms and conditions; no, I haven't changed address since adding the previous ticket to my basket etc.) when buying more than one. Also haven't found a quick way yet of getting to the screen where you can select from your 'favourite journeys', which is easy in ttl.

This topic is closed for new posts.