back to article Intel adding wireless power sharing for smartphones and laptops

Intel has said it'll start shipping laptops and smartphones that can share power wirelessly towards the end of next year. The system will see laptops and smartphones sharing power with an integrated transmitter and receiver chipset from semiconductor designers Integrated Device Technology (IDT). Intel says it'll begin building …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. petur
    Thumb Up

Touchpad

Works really great on the HP Touchpad, even with an extra case around it. Just put it on the stand, no need to align with any dock connector or take the case off because it otherwise doesn't fit on the dock.

1. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Agreed

I too use wireless charging on my HP Touch pad and it's fantastic. I'd love to find a cell phone that allowed wireless charging. Every cell phone in our house (including iPhones) never makes it through the 2-year contract without the charging connector (USB or that awful Apple iPhone connector) getting a contact buggered up and having charging problems.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Charging

At the rate a USB cable takes.... Anything bigger than a phone may take a long time to charge

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Holmes

What the hell is "resonance technology"? Is it not enough new-agey to just say "energy transfer by radio waves?"

Also:

The 19th century scientist Nikola Tesla

Engineer-and-showman would be a better description I would say.

1. Crisp

Tesla was a god.

That is all.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

So on the one hand...

We have this batshit crazy effort to save the planet by avoiding wasting the one or two watts of power drawn by "vampire" chargers plugged in but not having anything connected to them, and on the other hand we have people pushing for this wildly inefficient charging scheme that will waste far more power than a charger left plugged in all the time will, all because people are too damn lazy to plug the end of the charger cable into their device or want to do some fanboy bragging that their device does this and the other guy's doesn't.

OK. Just wanted to make sure I understand properly before I shoot myself.

Paris icon, because the ironic dichotomy of this makes her sad....or would, if she knew what dichotomy meant.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So on the one hand...

Dichotomy? Some sort of double lobotomy or something?

Ah, the drooled-on straitjacket, thanks.

Before I go, yes, I truly do like mobile devices nattering at me to pull the charger to save the planet so much that every time they do I make a mental note to create a power bar with on-off switches for each individual socket, only to promptly forget about it, until next time... Gadget.

Now for the hundred dollar question, how many Watt-hours does the environmental damage cost of a carelessly thrown away battery out of a mobile phone? Or the phone itself? Ow, yes, apologies, going n...oW!

1. Rentaguru

it exists - I have several but I leave all the switches in the on position

2. Great Bu

You wouldn't be so quick to complain about vampire chargers if you'd ever gone to use your vampire and found its battery flat.........

4. Mako

Ubiquitous wireless power?

I seem to remember a film wherein that didn't end up going so well...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Quiet_Earth_(film)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microwaves?

1) I remember something about a dude powering a model airplane using a god-damn large microwave parabollic antenna. The antenna was set to crispy-cook power, but it worked. I clearly remember the video of the plane flying around, and the antenna training on it. The necessary motor to drive a 4m dish around its axis consumed more power than the model plane alone.

2)...And Telsa himself nearly frying his city generator on an experiment using the entire planet as an inductor coil or something. I don't remember if it was an anecdote or true history, sadly.

Oh yes, you can have wireless power, but at a very low wattage, on things very close to each other, before you start bumping into teething problems like those above, I believe.

/snark on

Now, will be Apple suing Intel, because they inherited all of Mr. Tesla designs and work?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you have a big inductive charger in your desk...

...and your watch or ring has enough steel in it, wont it get very hot?

7. Tim Warren
    Go

Why Nikola Tesla was the greatest geek who ever lived

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like