back to article Anti-gay Uganda's premier backs pride march in protest hack

Gay-rights activists have vandalised the Ugandan prime minister's website in a protest against the African country's discriminatory laws. The site was rewritten to announce that Premier Amama Mbabazi would back a gay pride march and apologise for the mistreatment of homosexuals in the nation. Screengrabs of the digital …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Wow...

Anon in something worthwhile shocker....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wow...

Not sure it's any more than the usual lulz. My views sometimes chime with some of the actions of some of Anonymous, and sometimes they don't. I can't imagine that this is a helpful protest really, it's the Internet equivalent of spraying "no to section 28" on a wall, although I suspect in Uganda fewer people will see a web site.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Daytime TV

Yesterday I watched a few minutes of ITV1 around 17:45. Now in my day that would be Home & Away, or even some kids programme. But I saw this dating programme where a chap had 3 meals cooked for him by potential suitors, and whichever he liked the best he'd then take out for a proper meal. And they were ALL guys!

So, gay dating on Daytime TV - now THAT'S how much the world has changed! Cool! Anyone want to try selling the format to Uganda...? ;-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Daytime TV

The format of the show is that one person is cooked 3 meals by 3 different suitors. If that person is gay it would hardly make sense to present him with heterosexual suitors. I'm struggling to understand your surprise.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Daytime TV

The (pleasant) surprise was that it was being shown on ITV1 at teatime. 20 years ago you'd have been lucky to see it at 11pm on Channel 4.

3. Crisp
    Coat

Aggravated Homosexuality?

Mincing with intent?

Assault with a fabulous ensemble?

1. Hieronymus Howerd

Re: Aggravated Homosexuality?

Breaking and entering.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Con't you mean "back-breaking" and entering

2. Oliver Mayes

Breaking and decorating.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not sure if it's been done already (can't be arsed to look), but there really should be a gay dating site called 'mince meet'.

1. John G Imrie

Love Meet was the gay dating site in GTA IV

1. LinkOfHyrule
          Paris Hilton

Gotta love all those gay stereotypes - not.

Being gay myself, well being a human being who lives in the UK. I have to say that some of the most masculine, hardest (pardon the pun) and blokiest men are often the gay ones and frankly, these gay stereotypes of mincing, campness and acting effeminate are not based in reality or if they are, are hugely exaggerated.

Paris because fag hags are another stereotype arnt they

1. LinkOfHyrule
            FAIL

LOL at the repressed homosexual who downvoted me. You know you want mince round dressed in drag really, you just cant bring yourself to admit it can you!

1. Santa from Exeter
              Gimp

Whilst it wasn't me who downvoted you, you're guilty of stereotyping yourself!

I, for one, 'mince around in drag' but am unashamedly heterosexual. I just happen to love Rocky Horror.

1. LinkOfHyrule
                Happy

It is more common for straight guys to cross dress I think? Dunno, seems that way, maybe that should be a question included on the next census.

Sorry that, was meant to be my standard crap joke that I always post when someone downvotes a comment I have made in which I mention I am gay - I don't think it actually works though!

I think I might be a repressed heterosexual.

4. fLaMePrOoF
    Joke

"Ambrose Ruyooka, commissioner for the Information Communications Technology ministry, said the breaches had been rectified."

Is it just me and my puerile schoolboy humour or is this is just begging to be spoonerised...

"Ambrose Ruyooka, commissioner for the Information Communications Technology ministry, said the rectums had been breachified."

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The site was rewritten to announce that Premier Amama Mbabazi would back a gay pride march and apologise for the mistreatment of homosexuals in the nation."

that was a wrong and very bad move. What do you think will happen to a person who opens the website, read the statement, and while wrongly assuming that it was true, go ahead of do something based on that statement?

leaving a message on a website is something, pretending to be a political figure and leaving a message on an official site is something else! Remember that one of those actions could negatively affect the very person you are trying to help with your protest. Especially if that person assume it was true and act on it.

1. oddie
      Happy

nah

...people in the uk would be more likely to believe that David Cameron had suddenly decided to re-nationalise the railroads than ugandans believing that their president had a change of heart over manlove...

2. BlueBay

no one would assume it's true...

I see your concern, but no one here in uganda would ever think that the message from Mbabazi was sincere.

And apart from anything else, the full text o fthe hack included a finishing paragraph that read something like this (paraphrasing from memory):

"The trus sadness of this is that the conversation never took place. All ugandan politicians support the naming and killing of homosexuals while we stand idly by"

6. Winkypop Silver badge
    Trollface

Premier Amama Mbabazi

Sounds like a stage name to me.

Like: Priscilla, Queen of the desert.

Just making an observation.

7. asdf
    FAIL

Uganada and born agains

The story rarely mentioned is how fundamentalist christian missionaries from the west are some of the motivation behind this campaign of hate. Its amazing how receptive people are to your ideas and preaching when you are feeding them. As for Uganada perhaps they should worry more about being able to feed their population before discriminating against portions of them first.

1. Richard Altmann

Re: Uganada and born agains

complety agree with you apart from the food thing,that´s another sheet of paper.

In the mid 2000 s, while living in Uganda,i got my hands on a confidential study about the sexual behaviour of ugandan boys growing up in the countryside. Lost the paper,so you have to take it from my mouth: First sexual experience of about 60% of ugandan village boys is with a goat. So, one day, i´m watching TV with a local guy and there is an MP really going off against gays and this guy beside me on the sofa goes just like:"Yeah,kill all this perverts!". So i get out this paper and read it to him. His reply was: " Goatshagging is common but barebacking(he used a different word) is completly abnormal!!!" It doesn´t even need this f******ng,crusading born agains who convince their followers to give them there last shillings so they can buy a bigger Merc because the pastor of the neighbouring church just got himself a BMW. Gay hatred seems to be built in into east africans. The wife is a lovely Rwandese but she completly blacks out when it comes to gays. Whereby she really likes the only gay person she knows personally and even leaves our daughter alone with him. ... African´s mindset is hard to come by.

IT angle? I did a stint at a british run ISP for a year or so in Uganda. Admins in the ugandan government are chosen by relationship, not by qualification. One does does not need to be a hacker to just walk in and out of governmental networks in Uganda or the National Social Security Funds (NSSF). Just feel free to help yourself. ...well there´s not much to harvest since the big boys stole it already anyway.

Now,before you burn me ... spend some years in sub saharan africa.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Oh please. You are spoiling his "We hate Christians because they are the source of all the world's problems and injustices" narrative. Have some pity, won't you?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. asdf

Just like anything else its the crazy %1 that that hurt the %99. The vast majority of Christians of course are against this but all it takes is a few Westboro Baptist types to cause problems.

3. Dana W
          FAIL

The religious presence in Uganda pushing the laws is quite real Please do your research.

2. Mectron

BAN RELIGION, worldwide and it's pretty much peace on earth

8. Crazy Operations Guy
    FAIL

All well and good but...

What exactly do they think will happen? Is the government of Uganda now going say "Drat those hackers have defaced our website, now we have to support the gays!" while twirling their collective mustaches? Now they have evidence that 'the homosexuals' commit crimes against the state and should be locked up.

9. Mectron

List of thing to ban

Religion.

Result: peace on earth.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: List of thing to ban

a) Banning things seldom leads to a cessation, more likely a dangerous underground (see: drugs)

b) In the absence of a religious excuse, even atheists find ways to be bigoted (see: Richard Dawkins)

This topic is closed for new posts.