back to article Vodafone phone and mobe biz service goes titsup

Vodafone's One Net service has gone down, leaving businesses with no working phones. The service, which merges landlines with mobiles so finger-on-the-pulse folk can pick up their calls anywhere no matter which number customers call in on, has been down for about an hour. A Reg reader told us that the outage had knackered …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

quiet friday afternnon then

Shame.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Only me!
      Pint

Re: quiet friday afternnon then

I do not think so....quite noisy here in the pub!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please please please stop telling me what twitter thinks.

I get enough "I hate IT people, why has something gone wrong, you're useless, fix it now" bullshit at work.

Stuff breaks, get over it. My guess is a team somewhere just had lunch cancelled. Maybe you should look up the word redundancy or take meaning from "Al your eggs in one basket"

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Another vote for no quotes from the twatterati

It adds nothing to the story.

3. Tom 35

They should change the name to...

Vodafone One-Basket

1. Captain DaFt

Re: They should change the name to...

How about Vodafawdownangoboom?

4. An0n C0w4rd
    FAIL

One number to ring = single point of failure

People who are whining clearly didn't have a proper backup plan.

1. Terry Barnes

What?

You've heard of IN? You're aware of the astonishing uptime of the PSTN?

A telephone number is not a SPoF. A number can't fail, it's just an address. An address that can be re-routed to any device or other endpoint.

5. ByeLaw101

Eh?

"One number to ring = single point of failure, People who are whining clearly didn't have a proper backup plan."

Companies usually do have only one number... it's usually the phone companies themselves that implement redundancy.

1. pPPPP

Re: Eh?

My local Indian takeaway has two numbers.

Mmmm redundant curry.

2. swschrad

for themselves. do your own.

if it is critical to stay on the Wacky Wacky Webbiepoo, for instance, the savvvy operator will have multiple vendor redundancy. if it is life critical, say an airline's operations office, they really should have dual entrance points for those multiple vendors, with absolutely nothing in the network duplicated in the same CO, duct, or on the same side of the building. this can be engineered. it is costly as bringing the moon home to the kiddies. but this is considered full redundancy. smart companies have their crown jewel databases in multiple cities on live replication, so a tsunami or a bomb in one place simple means the inputs stop to the other databases until one of the redundants is made the working DB, and business carries on from another ops center. the business that has no internal backups is the business that needs one or two workers.

6. Paul 128
    FAIL

It's not so much the failure...

...more the fact that it was almost impossible to get any information about it. I was lucky(ish) and only spent 15 minutes on hold to Vodafone OneNet customer service, to be told that they had a problem and no idea when it would be fixed. I did suggest that in the 21st century putting something on their website might be the done thing, or otherwise contacting customers paying good money for a dead (premium) service to let them know it was belly up. But they're all the same these days - it's like when BT have a network outage their tech teams have to go through so many hoops to be allowed to actually put up a network outage notification on the service status page that by the time they get approval (if they ever do) the outage has probably been fixed already. Wouldn't it be nice if infrastructure service providers would actually communicate with their paying customers instead of looking for ways to spin it so they aren't liable for anything...?

7. AlbertH
    FAIL

Typical

Vodafone today exemplify the malaise in the British Telecommunications industry:

They laid off a significant proportion of their engineers then whinge when they can't restore broken services. It's unlikely to get fixed any time soon, and is going to cause major damage to their credibility in the business market.

A bigger problem is that there really isn't a viable alternative!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Typical

I believe there *are* alternative providers to Vodafone. In fact I'm certain of it.

If the market wasn't engaged in a deranged race to the bottom in terms of pricing, telcos might not feel the need to cut until they can see bone - the company that spends money on resilience and infrastructure is the company with higher prices that loses all its customers.

1. AlbertH
        Thumb Down

Re: Typical

Have you tried the "alternatives"?

O2 - utterly clueless, vacant, only interested in sales, sales, sales.... Their "service" is a bad joke.

Everything Everywhere? Even worse than O2. "Nothing, Nowhere" would be a more appropriate name.

No - there isn't any alternative to Vodafone for serious business users (and their service isn't particularly great).

I can't see your "race to the bottom" when it comes to pricing either: Britain is the second most expensive place IN THE WORLD to make a phone call!

8. PaulR79
    FAIL

Communication company in poor communications shocker!

Why do companies in the communication business have such a hard time keeping people informed? Any new services they bring out are given massive press and announcments but when they have problems the quickest way (currently) to find out if it's just you seems to be to search Twitter for "<company name> down" and check how many are recent.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

giffgaff are having problems again, the useless twats. One gets what one pays for...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like