back to article Tiny, take-apart handset enters the record books

Israeli manufacturer Modu Mobile has officially created the world’s lightest handset, with recognition from Guinness World Records. Its eponymous handset also comes apart to allow complete customisation. Modu Modu's Modu: on the small side Dubbed Modu, the 40.1g handset measures just 72 x 37 x 7.8mm. Despite its diminutive …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. BossHog
    Thumb Up

Want one!

Send it to meeee!

2. Autonomous Howard

Bah! This has been around for years...

...as seen in the documentary Zoolander.

3. Nìall Tracey

Not exactly...

"Modu Mobile claims to have signed agreements with several big-name manufacturers, such as ... in-car stereo manufacturer Blaupunkt, which suggests that Modu will be heavily music orientated."

Erm... no. Blaupunkt also produce in-car hands-free kits.

You also seem to be forgetting that this thing is modular -- there will doubtlessly be an audio sleeve for it, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't merely an option.

To suggest a modular phone is "heavily music orientated" is like saying that PCs are "heavily music orientated" simply because soundcards are available on the market.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You lost me at the first word

Israel? No thanks.

5. Ash
    Thumb Down

How small is too small?

That small is too small.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1333/856357878_3b39728b22_m.jpg

6. Ed Jackson
    Boffin

My God..

.. a phone I actually want!

7. Henry Gomersall

YES!!!

I want one. I want one NOWWWWWW!

8. Tony Barnes

Has anyone seen....

...my phone??

It was around here somewhere...

lol - pretty cool bit of kit actually, will be very popular with people making out they're spooks!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

They should do a deal with Lego

Think of the possibilities :-)

PS I want one already..

10. oxo

Hmmm

I put it to you that this isn't a real phone. Those pictures are photoshop specials.

11. Kyle

That idea seems vaguely familiar...

...It sounds like the idea behind the BugLabs modular thingamabob:

http://www.buglabs.net/products

Only with a product that you can actually sell - "phone with optional expansions will be easier to sell" than "generic gadget that doesn't exactly do anything until you add bits on and configure it", especially if they want to expand its appeal beyond the gadgetfreak market...

12. Sam

Ok..

Hands up who DOESN'T want one??

13. GettinSadda
    Joke

40.1g ?

Hang on, I'm still on 2.5g and haven't yet reached 3g!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

I would buy one but...

I'm avoiding israeli products until they stop behaving like tossers, which might be a while yet!

15. Lickass McClippers
    Thumb Down

DO NOT WANT!!1!!!11!!1!

Still not as good looking as my W880i...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: OK

I'll have my hands up - anything made in Israel is on my "do not buy" list due to their policy of religious apartheid and their invasion of another people's territory.

17. b
    Thumb Down

beware mossad!

it's a gps tracking device...

another step on the road to zionist world domination, muhahahaha!

a good read, here:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/02/08/modu_mobile/

18. Risky
    Black Helicopters

@b

Ah-ha that link brings us back here, very sinister. Is the backlight provided by the Bavarian Illuminati?

19. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Hypocrasy

Cowards, it's fine, because 'the Israelis' won't accept money from nations invading other nations too (for example, those invading Afghanistan and Iraq).

Elegant posturing. Hollow thoughts. (Not defending anyone, just pointing out the obvious).

Cute phone, BTW.

20. Will

Probably BS

5 Megapixel camera in a phone that small? I call BS.

Not that I'd buy it anyway, seeing as I don't think we should support Israeli commerce until they stop bulldozing Palestinian houses and their illegal occupation of other countries' territory.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm

I want one but I guess I'll wait till nokia or some other company makes a knock-off since Israeli stuff is on my 'do not buy' list at the moment.

22. Graham Dawson Silver badge

@ the 3 acs

I hope you lot aren't buying Intel products, then, or AMD for that matter, since both of them fab stuff in Israel and do a lot of research there.

23. Sam

Unreal..

"I'll have my hands up - anything made in Israel is on my "do not buy" list due to their policy of religious apartheid and their invasion of another people's territory."

As opposed to flying planes into buildings, and deploying suicide bombers????

24. Risky

Ho-hmm

Is that the "Anonymous Cowards Against Israel" campaign? Seems like a great slogan.

25. theotherone

ummm

um, how exactly do you dial a number on that thing? I don't see any keypads...perhaps it's a touch screen that only pixies can use....

26. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

"will not buy from Israel"

I guess its fine to buy all your crap from china, where they will execute you and harvest your organs for double parking or visiting the wrong web site.

Not to mention Tibet, child labor, killing endangered species for sex aids, etc etc.

oh but wait , chinese arent Jewish, so you dont hate them.

27. simon

hypocrite !

"I'll have my hands up - anything made in Israel is on my "do not buy" list due to their policy of religious apartheid and their invasion of another people's territory.

" .. hope you dont buy anything Chinese ... or American .... or Briish .... where the hell do you shop ?

28. Martin

Is it really a phone?

How do you dial telephone numbers? Or is that one of the less important features of a phone that had to be dropped?

There was a review of an early Microsoft Smartphone which said it made a great PDA, but was hopeless as phone for talking to people.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE: "will not buy from Israel"

So... what you're saying DeFex is that because we can't always do the ethical thing when buying stuff that we should then never do it?

30. Hetz Ben Hamo
    Stop

"not buying from Israel".. oh dear..

Ok,

Take your digital camera, open the part which hold the SD Card.. do you see "SanDisk" written on the SD Card? San Disk was an Israeli company until it bought M-systems [also an Israeli company] and moved to USA. Their CEO and half the management - Israelis..

And thats just a tiny example...

If you want to disqualify a product "because it was invented in Israel, which kill Palestinians", then at least make sure you know the facts correctly, and bear in mind that most of the video footage that you see on your TV are simply a propaganda which filmed by Palestinians which shows only 1 side of the story.

If you want to judge phone, then judge it by it's capabilities, advantages/disadvantages, and not by it's country's politics.

60 years ago, the British people gave guns etc to the Arabs to kill Jews (our Independence war, 1948). Should I stop reading El Reg because it's based on UK?

Thanks,

Hetz

A guy from Israel

31. Richard Scratcher
    Coat

No jacket required

I've just watched the TheeTube demo of this item (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=N-NAIA1iyCQ) and I'm not convinced that it's genuine.

The idea of plugging a basic phone into various jackets to expand its functionality is just plain silly. Some of the examples given for the "jackets" include GPS, music & camera. What if I want all three? I'm going to need a wardrobe of jackets that would turn this otherwise diminutive phone into a bundle of phones-sized bits.

It's a bit like having a super-thin laptop that has a plug-in external optical drive....um....er....I'll get my jacket.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

RE: "will not buy from Israel"

The only thing this piss-thin variety of reactionary student politics achieves, is to give moral succour to the human filth, the 'brigades', whose violence only undermines their fellow Palestinian's aspirations towards normality.

Whatever its origins generations ago, Israel is a legitimate political entity, with the right to enact policies such as maintaining its citizens' security.

For god's sake stop following the herd, chuck away your Che Guevara posters and 'Free Mumiya' stickers, and try and think about it yourself for a while.

33. Oldfogey
    Black Helicopters

Looks like a Smart phone

So I guess it would just about fit in the heel of your shoe.

And enable you to call up the black helicopters.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: RE: "will not buy from Israel"

Israel may be a legitimate political entity and as soon as it retreats back to its own borders (not the ones it thinks it has but its actual borders) and allows the Palestinian people free access in and out of, and around, their own country then I will happily start buying goods made there. They don't even need to let them into Israel itself if they don't want to as that is their decision to make - provided that they allow some method of getting between Gaza and the West Bank.

When it comes to whether other invading countries are on my "try to not shop" list then I look at the reasons behind the invasion and whether they look like they will be permanent. So Afghanistan and Iraq are OK as the people their will probably be better off at the end of it AND you don't see the Americans building new homes for their populace in the middle of Kandahar; can't say the same about the Israelis though.

If I have a choice then I'll always choose ethically sourced goods over non-ethically sourced however we don't always have that choice (at least not without going bankrupt) and yes, that means trying not to buy Chinese goods wherever possible. However we don't always have the choice and when it comes to components it really is a case of not knowing.

As for the Che Guevara posters, sorry he isn't really my cup of tea - would rather have a poster of Thatcher up on my wall any day!

35. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Stop and think a bit

how would you treat your neighbor if for the last 50 years or so he's been firing rockets into your backyard and you know the entire neghbourhood would love to see your house burn down with you in it. Chances are you'd want to nuke the bastards given the opportunity. So all in all I figure the Israelies have been holding back and been very nice given the treatment they've been getting.

36. Nev
    Stop

Hope the anti Isreal posters...

... check that all of their gadgets don't have any Israeli designed chips in them.

I also hope they aren't watching Sky TV either. That'd just make them hypocrites.

37. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I can't really understand the thinking...

I think the political actions of Israel are deplorable, disgusting and intolerable. I also think the same of the UK, US and pretty much every country on the planet.

I don't boycott Israeli products, but I do avoid the coke corp (not as easy as you may think).

I think its wrong to target nations when its the folks on the ground who would suffer first and the heads & corporates who would walk away with their pockets full.

I've yet to meet anyone who could consider themselves a 100% ethical shopper and not be deluding themselves.

The thing I can't stand is the persecution card played by all religious folk, that and tiny phones with bits that are easy to lose!

do not want.

38. Risky

OK let's get your boycott's on

Righto, you don't want to buy anything from a country that's behaved badly in that region so lets go

Eqypt, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq - Invaded Israel in 1948

Israel - afterwards invaded all of the above except Iraq

USA - supported and supplied Israel

Russian (ex-ussr) supported and supplied most of the rest

UK and France - Former colonial powers left a bit of a mess (oh and tried to invade Egypt later)

Iran - supplying most anyone who want to shoot an Israli

Saudi Arabia funding PLO

Turkey- Military agreements with Israel

Germany - supplies Israli Milltiary

I could go on......

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like