back to article Google screams into top Opera soprano gig - again

Google will continue to serve as the default search engine for Opera Software's web browser for another two years, the Norway-based company confirmed today. The partnership between the ad giant and Opera applies to the outfit's mobile and desktop versions of its browser. Like other software of its ilk, Opera provides a little …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. gujiguju

Supporting browser innovation

Good to hear that Opera was able to re-up with them, despite Google's ongoing attacks at discrediting Opera usage...which is, frankly, weird to behold.

Google continues releasing updated services that break in Opera and it takes 6 months of "consultation" to get it right? Sure. (And pundits wonder why Opera desktop share stays stagnated despite their phone/tablet share is booming?)

Btw, if you're worried about your 3G/4G data ceiling, try out Opera Mini with it's built-in 80% compression. Amazing cloud browsing innovation that remains under-utilized by most mobile users.

http://m.opera.com

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Supporting browser innovation

Indeed, most Opera users are masking as other browsers to use some of the big sites that send broken content to Opera, simply because it's Opera. Masking as Firerfox and lettng Opera recieve FF code works 99.9% of the time, but it sways web stats.

3. Trainee grumpy old ****
    Stop

And stop nagging Opera users to switch to Chrome

Getting fed up of the nagging (refer http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/05/google_opera_scare/) and no, I'm not going to switch so stop already!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In any search box:

Right click --> create search

Create searches for ixquick; duckduckgo; IMDB; wikipedia etc; then get rid of the Google search. Job done.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

If only you could on Opera Mobile. It defaults to Google on every run and you can't delete it.

1. Eguro

True

At least you can add other search engines.

In Opera Mini it adds 2 more presses for me. In Mobile it adds 4. (to switch from Google to whatever search engine I actually want to use)

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
          Gimp

Downvoted by Opera fanbois or Google fanbois?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Hard to tell. I thought we were being helpful, myself. As far as I know, I'm not obliged to honour any deal between Opera and Google; even if I am seeing an indirect benefit by using the free browser.

1. Eguro

I was just stating fact :o

I would've thought that the Opera fanatic would at least appreciate that I actually use Opera?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like